Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 39
    Total Downloaded
    11.61 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default How many people use Proton basic

Hell Protonians,
    I was wondering how popular is Proton Basic. It is an excellent language for people like me which was discouraged with assembly even C. Long ago I started with pic basic pro but changed to Proton which offers more humfs and simplicity. I supposed picbasic pro has also evolved but I never looked back.

Regards,

Yves

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 56
    Total Downloaded
    3.96 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: How many people use Proton basic

Hello Yves,

I started with Pic Basic Pro as well, but after know Proton was impossible to not change. I tried some C language but had some memory problems because of compiled program size, and only Proton could compile the same program to fit into memory.

Ricardo Urio

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 6
    Total Downloaded
    463.40 MB

0 Not allowed!

This is a tickling question.
    Among the basic languages that I tried (such as Oshon, MikroBasic, Boost Basic) I found a better result with Proton. I'm most of the cases I use a little step deeper than the simple language usage, I like to see what is going on the assembled result.
    At the beginning I was suspicious that I was bulky with all of those macros and long header which is commonly starting the assembled source. But later on I discovered the power to perform the command by using pure assembly.
    I don't regret to use some time the C, but that is rather confusing and the syntax is very strict that even a wrong punctuation will be complicated to discover where is laying the error.

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 2
    Total Downloaded
    529.65 MB

0 Not allowed!

I now use Proton or C depending on the application. I started out using assembly and Pick Basic Pro then moved to Proton. I have produced a lot of commercially successful devices using proton, and would recommend it. So positive for Proton.

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 22
    Total Downloaded
    848.81 MB

0 Not allowed!

For me it has been Proton all the way......never bothered to try anything else as far as PIC's were concerned.Proton is too good....
    Nowadays using Micropython with ESP8266 & classical Python with Raspberry Pi.....the object oriented approach of Python is really nice.Creating an instance & hitting the TAB button gives you all the methods & properties to choose from.The beauty lies in the absolute non-syntactical approach....you only need to indent the body of the functions & conditional blocks.Python makes you a lazy & careless coder,specially if you are from a C background.
    Shantanu

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 48
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

0 Not allowed!

Around eight of the exhibits in our gallery (The Tunny Gallery) at the National Museum of Computing at Bletchley Park have a PIC running Proton somewhere inside them.
    It's a standing joke within our group of seven, that if a solution to a problem is discussed, at some point some wag will say "Charles can always put a PIC in it!"

(One of them is a demonstration of the sound of morse code versus teleprinter frequency shift keying. Put the key up and it plays morse sounds, key down and it's FSK. I wondered what message to use because quite a few of the older visitors can read morse. I settled on Hickory Dickory Dock, a mouse ran up the clock...etc". But I accidentally got the last two words of the first line wrong. Nobody has mentioned it but there is an odd look of surprise now and then.)

12. Attention

Thread Information