Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    1.62 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default 16F1713 PPI failure

Hello Les
    I know this has cropped up before on the Forum, but I have a PPI file general failure on the 16F1713 28 pin,
    I am using 3.7.3.6 windows xp ,reloaded Proton , no fix.
    No hurry, can be done on next update.

many thanks
    Gary

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 351
    Given: 168
    Total Downloaded
    1.99 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: 16F1713 PPI failure

The PPS section is missing from the PPI file.

Sorry about that...

I've just noticed that some of the other, more recent, enhanced 14-bit core devices are missing the PPS values as well! The PPI files were created using Microchip devices files, so they must not have been in some of them, but in others. It's absolutely crazy when a person cannot trust the device and spec files from the device manufacture that are supplied with the manufacturer's firmware writing programs and compilers!

Open the P16F1713.ppi file in notepad. The PPI file is located here: "C:\Program Files (x86)\ProtonIDE\PDS\Includes\PPI"

Find the section of text: "[HI2CEND]"

And two lines below it, place the texts:

Code:
    Output PPS Definitions
    [PPS_START]
    _PPS_Fn_NCO1OUT EQU 3
    _PPS_Fn_CLC1OUT EQU 4
    _PPS_Fn_CLC2OUT EQU 5
    _PPS_Fn_CLC3OUT EQU 6
    _PPS_Fn_CLC4OUT EQU 7
    _PPS_Fn_COG1A EQU 8
    _PPS_Fn_COG1B EQU 9
    _PPS_Fn_COG1C EQU 10
    _PPS_Fn_COG1D EQU 11
    _PPS_Fn_CCP1 EQU 12
    _PPS_Fn_CCP2 EQU 13
    _PPS_Fn_PWM3OUT EQU 14
    _PPS_Fn_PWM4OUT EQU 15
    _PPS_Fn_SCL EQU 16
    _PPS_Fn_SCK EQU 16
    _PPS_Fn_SDA EQU 17
    _PPS_Fn_SDO EQU 17
    _PPS_Fn_TX EQU 20
    _PPS_Fn_CK EQU 20
    _PPS_Fn_DT EQU 21
    _PPS_Fn_C1OUT EQU 22
    _PPS_Fn_C2OUT EQU 23
    [PPS_END]
    So that section of the PPI file will now look like:

Code:
    [HI2CEND]

Output PPS Definitions
    [PPS_START]
    _PPS_Fn_NCO1OUT EQU 3
    _PPS_Fn_CLC1OUT EQU 4
    _PPS_Fn_CLC2OUT EQU 5
    _PPS_Fn_CLC3OUT EQU 6
    _PPS_Fn_CLC4OUT EQU 7
    _PPS_Fn_COG1A EQU 8
    _PPS_Fn_COG1B EQU 9
    _PPS_Fn_COG1C EQU 10
    _PPS_Fn_COG1D EQU 11
    _PPS_Fn_CCP1 EQU 12
    _PPS_Fn_CCP2 EQU 13
    _PPS_Fn_PWM3OUT EQU 14
    _PPS_Fn_PWM4OUT EQU 15
    _PPS_Fn_SCL EQU 16
    _PPS_Fn_SCK EQU 16
    _PPS_Fn_SDA EQU 17
    _PPS_Fn_SDO EQU 17
    _PPS_Fn_TX EQU 20
    _PPS_Fn_CK EQU 20
    _PPS_Fn_DT EQU 21
    _PPS_Fn_C1OUT EQU 22
    _PPS_Fn_C2OUT EQU 23
    [PPS_END]

SFR Definitions
    This will add the PPS values in the PPS section of teh PPI file and I'll go through the other PPI files that do not have it and add them. I'll add a mechanism in the PPI file creator program I wrote to trap if the PPS info is not in the Microchip device files, so they will not get through. I had, foolishly, assumed that Microchip would have gotten at least that section of their files correct and not missed some out.

Please remember, only open the PPI file in notepad and no other editor because some editors add hidden text markers that will make the compiler's PPI parser go crazy because it expects standard ASCII text.

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.62 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hello
    Big thanks, i think Microchip needs to hire a few proof readers, I spent a day trying to get something to work that was supported in the data sheet, but not on the chip, you would think going over the printed material with a fine tooth comb would be standard, they could hire Collage Students for this at low pay.
    Now with the Data sheets reaching >600 pages it is a cut and paste job.
    I do have a question Les, I do not like the 16Fxxxxx new chips and the older 16F chips are getting hard to get, Microchip is Phasing them out do you think I should go with the 18F chips?
    Many thanks
    Gary

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.99 GB

0 Not allowed!

Unfortunately, we now live in a "Cut and Paste" world, which is why I don't bother with "so called" bloggers, and most forums or internet sites. It is, mostly, the same "incorrect" crap copied and pasted all over the internet by people on an ego trip, but without much actual knowledge. :-) I call it a "look at me! aren't I clever?" syndrome. LOL

The datasheets suffer from the same copy and paste problems, as you have found... Their sections are copied and pasted from other datasheets that are not quite suitable in the datasheet's devices. I have found this many times over with Microchip in the past 10 years or so, and the Chinese datasheets are usually pointless even reading because they are so filled with mistakes and incorrect information, so it is down to experimentation and ironing out the mistakes that can be spotted. No wonder we live in a world of such low quality now. :-(

do you think I should go with the 18F chips?
    Very much so Gary! The 18FxxKxx devices are quite nice and have a good set of peripherals.

For a starter with 18F types, I would recommend the 18F26K42 or 18F27K42 devices because they also have 8K of RAM and their prices are not too bad for what you get. Or you can go with the 18F26K40 or 18F27K40, that are less expensive and also nice devices.

I would keep away from the "brand new" devices from Microchip because until they have been around for a few years, they are so full of mistakes in the silicon and the specifications in the datasheets and technical spec files is still full of holes, until a few revisions on. I am still working on the 18FxxQ43 devices that have moved their RAM around to slightly counteract the 4K RAM boundary limit of the device's architecture, but until the next revision comes out I will not add them to the compiler because the devices I got for tests had a lot of querks in them, and things that should have "definately" worked, just didn't to a 100% reliabability.
    Last edited by top204; 29th June 2020 at 10:07.

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Total Downloaded
    203.73 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi,

There is also an attractive option in the PIC24 family. For example PIC24FJ64GA702 is the smallest in the family (64K Flash, 16K SRAM) and 1.25 (for 100 units at Mouser).

Regards,
    Gamboa

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.99 GB

0 Not allowed!

There is also an attractive option in the PIC24 family.
    I totally agree Gamboa. The PIC24 devices are really nice and quite easy to use. IMO, they are easier to use than 8-bit devices and certainly a whole lot more efficient, and still come in DIL packages, although, unfortunately, these packages are being phased out in some of the newer 16-bit devices.

However, I have found, and understand, that people are a little apprehensive going from a device family they have worked with for a few years to a newer device family. So I recommend moving up in steps.

Hopefully, I have created the compiler so that it makes moving from one type to another less stressful.
    Last edited by top204; 29th June 2020 at 10:08.

12. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.62 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hello
    Thank you Les, it worked great and now I can finish my Home's Thermostat.
    Gary

14. Attention

Thread Information