Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    437.99 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Proton and MplabX Ide 5.1 and debug Pickit 3

Hello everyone .
    I intend to use Proton on Mplabx V5.1.
    To use the debug function in Mplabx with pickit 3.
    Have any of you ever tried to do this?

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 353
    Given: 168
    Total Downloaded
    1.99 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Proton and MplabX Ide 5.1 and debug Pickit 3

As far as I can tell, with the dreadful MPLABX IDE, a COF file can be imported into it. However, you will need to update MPLABX to version 5.35 because they keep changing it every few weeks and adding and removing bits and pieces.

Set the compiler to create a COF file using the declare: Declare Create_Coff = True. With Proton24, this is automatically done.

Then imoprt the COF file into MPLABX Using File->Import. I've attached a screen shot of the import.

Even though it only states the Hex\Elf type file, it also imports COF files.

It does seem to simulate the code, but with MPLABX I trust it with nothing! It is very typical, nerd based, Linux rubbish, altered by many who do not live in the real world. But that's just my opinion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MPLABX_Import.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	3955

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 5
    Total Downloaded
    331.75 MB

0 Not allowed!

One more option is to check whether exist a plugin to download, or the be able to create a netbean plugin.
    But to be able to have the chance to work with a source and see the breakpoints as VSM, I suspect is a long way to go.

@Top204
    You are a knight to fight against the free code. Doesn't mean that all of these FOSS are unusable. The industry creates such hate. I don't blame the volunteer to give their contribution, for a little of glory. On the other hand even industrial developers might write such sold rubbish and get a salary (as you state).
    Good and bad on both worlds.

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    437.99 MB

0 Not allowed!

Mplabx is updated to 5.40
    Can it be fine anyway?

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 183
    Total Downloaded
    5.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

Good luck with MplabX, the spec and all the features looks great the implementation sucks the big one. Don't even get me started on IPE.
    George.

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 353
    Given: 168
    Total Downloaded
    1.99 GB

0 Not allowed!

I couldn't agree more George.

It is an absolutely awful IDE, written in dreadfully slow Java and it actually gets things wrong when setting up a device with the "so called" Code Configurator. I tried to get my head around the bootloader they supply but it is an abomination and you have to jump through hoops to get it to compile, never mind work!

In recent years, Microchip have gone way down in my opinion and they are getting worse and worse with each year!

12. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Total Downloaded
    408.14 MB

0 Not allowed!

Mplabx is updated to 5.40

Might as well stick with MPLABX 5.35
    5.40 removes support for MPASM

14. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 34
    Total Downloaded
    5.08 GB

0 Not allowed!

I find MPLAB 8.92 is as good as any.
    John

16. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    437.99 MB

0 Not allowed!

I downloaded mplabx 5.40.
    I created the program cof file
    Uploaded to mplabx
    I started the bebugging but it gives me error in the configuration of the bits. In detail he suggests that I check the oscillator and the pgc and pgd.
    In the configuration I have already set Debug = ON and the oscillator is set as internal.
    I will have to try to understand the problem better

18. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    437.99 MB

0 Not allowed!

I have reloaded the version of mplabx 5.30. Because in 5.40 there is not even asm.
    For you can not do such a procedure even with the Proton as seen in the video below?

20. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    408.14 MB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Giuseppe View Post
    I have reloaded the version of mplabx 5.30. Because in 5.40 there is not even asm.
    For you can not do such a procedure even with the Proton as seen in the video below?
    I warned you. Mplabx v5.35 is the last one that includes MPASM.
    Past that the only assembler that works is the XC8 pic-as assembler, and it's not MPASM compatible.

It would require writing a netbeans plugin for mplabx in order to be able to compile with Proton.
    If you're using older chips then MPLAB 8.92 is a better option since there's a Proton build tool for that IDE,
    but you can't use any of the newer debuggers (PICkit4/ICD4/SNAP) in MPLAB.

If you're stuck with mplabx then the easiest way I've found is to create a Prebuilt project and tell it to load the COF file.
    At least that way the device and debugger settings are all setup for you inside mplabx when you use the project.
    You still have to compile in the Proton IDE, but it's a little easier that way.

22. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    437.99 MB

0 Not allowed!

But with the cof file can you see the list of Proton in Mplabx?
    Or you can only see variables and registers in debugging

24. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 183
    Total Downloaded
    5.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

I really don't think this is the way forward, if you want a debugger, port the existing (but not working) user written debugger to the latest version of Proton. It is called P-IDC.
    George.

26. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    437.99 MB

0 Not allowed!

But the latest version is P-ICD V3.0.1.7 ?
    I also read that it has limitations in hardware serial simulation is it correct ?

28. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    408.14 MB

0 Not allowed!

A serial-based debugger like that isn't worth the bother IMHO.
    Too much stuff has to work for the debugger to be of any use, and the debugger takes up resources and affects how your program operates.

The hardware-based debuggers don't have those restrictions.
    As John said a while back, if you can live with the restrictions on what devices are supported, MPLAB 8.92 is much easier to work with.

30. Attention

Thread Information