Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 96
    Total Downloaded
    1.37 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default USB Help please from the boffins

Hi,

Working on a new USB project and the after building the board ( My eyes are not up to it these days) I programed it with the blinking led test for USB the mouse demo. No go, it failed to connect with windows producing an error of "device descriptor request failed"

The actual blinking LED test works fine.

So I dug out an old project that uses a 14k50 (new board is a 13k50) and the mouse demo works. So know the code is ok.

The schematic looks fine, 470nf on Vusb, only difference now is I have Static Discharge protection on D+ and D-. Board looks good. No shorts. D+ and D- share the ICSP lines Clock and Data so know they connect through. I'm at a loss so thought I would check if anyone had this fault and fixed it.

Thanks

Tim
    Tim

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 183
    Total Downloaded
    5.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: USB Help please from the boffins

Can't find a reference but I vaughly remember Les posting that 14K50 was marginal, if so 13k50 even more so (768 vs 512). Only a guess but as they share a DS it's one of the few differences.
    George.

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.37 GB

0 Not allowed!

The annoying thing is I sold 1k's of devices using the 14k50. I think its the board but no idea what the is issue.
    Tim

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

0 Not allowed!

You don't say what the static discharge protection consists of, but my first suggestion is to remove it and see what happens.
    My RAM is failing

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 183
    Total Downloaded
    5.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    The annoying thing is I sold 1k's of devices using the 14k50. I think its the board but no idea what the is issue.
    Perhaps I misunderstood. You posted that your test worked on the 14K20 but not on the 13K20 and I pointed out that I suspected that as the 14K20 was marginal with 768 RAM, the 13K20 would be even more so with 512 RAM.
    Last edited by towlerg; 18th May 2020 at 14:22.
    George.

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.37 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi See_Mos

Yes that's my thought. I'm going to remove it and test. I will post the schematic. I did read a Mchip dev note on using the chip and said that ESD capacitance can be an issue and inline R of > 10ohm is not recommended. On my board I have 15ohm

Tim
    Tim

12. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.37 GB

0 Not allowed!

Ok Its fixed

I had a short on VUSB. Did I tell you I hate SMD soldering?

Tim
    Tim

14. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

0 Not allowed!

You don't fancy doing some 44 pin QFP for me then?

Only kidding, the artwork is not ready yet, though I might ask Les later.
    My RAM is failing

16. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.37 GB

0 Not allowed!

I would recommend you use a stencil and a toaster oven. I have a really old one under the bench and while its not ideal it always works.

The problem I had was rectifying a schematic error. The original board was fine.
    Tim

18. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 364
    Given: 173
    Total Downloaded
    2.08 GB

0 Not allowed!

Glad you got it working Tim.

When Surface Mount components came in as the standard, I was working for Sky and repairing the Satellite receivers. They were scary at first, but once you've worked with hundreds, if not thousands, of them over many years they become natural. The 403 type passives were particularly fiddly because they are the size of a grain of sand and were used in the Satellite tuners and TV tuners. And the BGA and QFP devices are a real pain, but a good hot air blower is always a friend when working with these devices, as well as liquid flux. My three main tools since the 1990s have been Tweezers, Magnifying glass and a small pointy soldering iron. :-)
    Last edited by top204; 19th May 2020 at 14:44.

20. Attention

Thread Information