Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What does this AS ERROR tells me?24 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 27
    Total Downloaded
    751.86 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: What does this ASM ERROR tells me?

Many thanks for your time!

I use the tables to read the time values which initiate actions during the songs. I do understand the Dwords take unnecessary mem space in this case.
    For me the strange thing is the code compiles fine until ~65% program words and 15 % variable bytes used. This is what the IDE shows after successful compiling. After entering more procs i get the ASM error...

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 34
    Total Downloaded
    4.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: What does this AS ERROR tells me?

Maybe this is an opportunity to try Les's new long variables and save 1/4 of the space?
    John

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 339
    Given: 161
    Total Downloaded
    1.99 GB

0 Not allowed!

The 24-bit Long variables are only available with 8-bit devices.

With the architecture of the 16-bit devices, 24-bit variable access will actually be less efficient than 32-bit variables, because they mix 16-bit and 8-bit types within the Assembler code. But when time permits I will add them. At the moment if the Long directive is used in Proton24 it will produce a 32-bit vaiable and give a warning message to state it.

I am in the process of adding the 24-bit type to flash memory tables so they can store very large values but take less memory than 32-bit values, and I will add the Cread24, cPtr24 commands. These will sort out the problem, but time is always a big burden and producing extra features in the compilers does not generate any money whatsoever, so I can only ever do it in the spare time that I have.

The Linker's process is out of my hands because it is the Asm30 tools. The compiler creates the Asm code that is passed to the assembler. Any asm errors will be created within the assembler process and return to the compiler for errors to be displayed. Once the asm has been carried out, it produces an object file that is passed to the Linker to arrange where in the device code will sit and give variables and labels an address. Then the Hex file is created from the Linker.

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 27
    Total Downloaded
    751.86 MB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks again for the feedback. For now i will try as you suggested divide the table values to fit them in a Word variables. hopefully this will do the job.

For this project (if you have 2 minutes)

I use the Dspic to do some IO, read audio input as analog signal, control a bunch off servo's through I2C using the PCA9685 and some on output pins. Most of the program memory i used for the 'action' tables. to initiate a desired action during the playlist.
    The device is controlled by a radio infrared controller using xbee. Nice and good fun project for a friend but taking way too much time...

What device would you suggest in case i keep up running into memory shortage? (I did noticed your suggestion to insert external memory to put the table in). I'm thinking about using the 33EP128GP502 or 33EP256GP502.

Any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks!

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 339
    Given: 161
    Total Downloaded
    1.99 GB

0 Not allowed!

That's en excellent video.

What are the very large values held in the data tables used for? If they are timings, smaller values can be used then multiplied by 1000 if too large for 16-bit storage. A simple procedure could be created to read data, and multiply is required, and return the value. For timings in milliseconds, a few milliseconds difference is not noticed, so any rounding errors in the multiplications will not matter. Also, the PIC24 and dsPIC devices have hardware multiplication that is extremely fast and efficient so timings will not be effected.

I also noticed in you code a lot of Comparisons with the "And" directive. These work well in the compiler but "And"s and "Or"s in comparisons do take a bit more code so it is better to use nested If-Thens instead of lots of "And"s.

I'm in the process of adding the Long directive to flash memory tables in Proton24 and these can be be read with the Cread24 or cPtr24 commands. I've tried your code and it compiles without problems and it fits in the device. Just make sure the values in the tables are not larger than 16777215. I'll try to speed up the adding of them and have an update available ASAP.

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 34
    Total Downloaded
    4.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

There are some very clever people on this forum. Great stuff BaSparky.
    John

12. Attention

Thread Information