Closed Thread
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    153.32 MB

0 Not allowed!

Smile Possiblility to use HSEROUT for 1 PIC, AND SERIN for an other PIC

Hi, I have one PIC master (PIC18F26K22) which is sending data (via HSEROUT) to 3 other slaves (PIC12F1840), which receive the data (via HSERIN). All is running perfectly.

One of the slaves has "only" 4 pins available to deliver output data (8 pins - 2 pins for power supply - 1 pin for RX EUSART - 1 pin MCLRE). I ask me this question. Is it possible to receive data via the inpit only pin MCLRE, thereby freeing the RX EUSART pin to deliver output data. So, I would have 5 pins available to deliver output data. Each output pin of this PIC drives a relay coil via an ULN2xxx.

Of course, it would be possible for me to use for example a PIC16F1825 to have more output available pins. But, I have a problem of PCB layout.

Thanks for your answer

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Total Downloaded
    408.14 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Possiblility to use HSEROUT for 1 PIC, AND SERIN for an other PIC

I wouldn't do it. Software-based UARTs (ie SERIN) are notoriously unreliable, especially for receiving data (not so much for transmitting).

But, that's just me.

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 14
    Total Downloaded
    5.19 GB

0 Not allowed!

I once solved this problem with a 74238 (74138) 3 to 8 converter. I glued that 74238 upside down to the pcb.

Johan

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    153.32 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Dompie and tumbleweed. Thanks for your answers. I know that the best solution is to use the EUSART module. I thought also to the possibility to use a 4 to 16 channels converter. I'm going to try to "stretch" my PCB and to use a PIC16F1825.

I would be happy to have an answer to my "philosophical" question (I haven't any data analyser") : is the data stream flowing (HSEROUT) out of the TX pin of an EUSART is different from a data stream flowing (SEROUT) out of any "standard" pin ?

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 5
    Total Downloaded
    331.75 MB

0 Not allowed!

On top of my mind, I'd be keen to use I2C bus. Least number of pin to use. I don't have the idea (yet) how to configure three slaves and one master.

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Total Downloaded
    408.14 MB

0 Not allowed!

is the data stream flowing (HSEROUT) out of the TX pin of an EUSART is different from a data stream flowing (SEROUT) out of any "standard" pin ?
    If everything is working properly they would be the same.

12. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1
    Total Downloaded
    174.52 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi,
    You don't mention what the master is being clocked with. I agree with tumbleweed that things should be the same but if you're working on int osc at both ends then the tolerances may go in opposite ways, especially with temperature and voltage changes. The 12F1840 is rated typ +/-1% for its int osc but of course you need to know the limit spec if you are making multiple boards. You can also read and tune the frequency if needed but it seems they are claiming +/-2% for 0C to 60C over the specified voltage range. That's pretty safe for RS232 especially if the master is xtal clocked but if it has it's own frequency spread I would be more concerned.
    Good luck with your project.

Cheers,
    David
    Last edited by david; 25th April 2020 at 06:34.

14. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    153.32 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi gentlemen, thanks fou your precious answers. One word about my application : with the problem of confinement, I have some time to spend to do some RC toys for my grandson. The master PIC18F26K22 (internal clock) inputs two CAD analog signals (speed ans direction pot., and 7 digital inputs, 2 to trim the direction, and 5 to drive fittings). So, I transmit a packet of 3 data (2 Word data + 1 Byte data) via the EUSART TX pin, and a radio link (XBEE). I took some pleasure (why not) to use, on the recetion side, an other XBEE, of course, and 3 PIC12F1840. One to process the forward/backward direction (via the EUSART RX pin), one to process the port/starboard direction (via the EUSART RX pin), and the last one to drive lamps, horn, ...). So ... for that last PIC, I wanted to have the maximum available pins (5), and now all is running perfectly. I don't use the EUSART RX pin, but the MCLRE input only pin. I encountered a processing problem, because I made a mistake about the Baudmode parameter (inverted instead of true) into the SerIn command.

16. Attention

Thread Information