Received: 6
    Given: 3
    Total Downloaded
    329.46 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Versioning

Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
    MPLABX (the IDE) is free, 8<----
    they limit some of the higher optimizations levels.
    Thanks to correct my sentence, you're right.
    I'd like to say that their XC8 is rather adding a bulk of useless code, for the free version. Unless they have change something on the latest version, which I haven't tried. But I still believe that's possible to compare the two version if one turn its installation on the Pro version for a limited time.

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    408.14 MB

0 Not allowed!

XC8 has gotten better over time. They now allow higher level of optimizations in free mode than they did originally.

It's never ADDED useless code, it's just that in the beginning it didn't support any optimizations that would clean up what resulted from the first pass. It does now, so free mode isn't that bad.

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    329.46 MB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
    XC8 has gotten better over time.
    I frozen my interest on XC8 to the version 1.45, as I saw a web page describing the differences between free and Pro. And probably is quite old like this page.
    I rather stay on FOSS and my favorite is SDCC, if I'm looking for a C compiler.
    In the assembler world I do some trick and use the basic to guide me on the assembler code development

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 152
    Total Downloaded
    1.99 GB

0 Not allowed!

Keytapper is correct.

The XC8 free compiler and the other free C compilers from microchip do actually produce really bulky code, and they do, sometimes add extra mnemonics that should not be there. Even the latest version does!

C relies heavily, and rather stupidly in the microcontroller world, to pointers, whihc are indirect addresses, however, the Microchip C code uses the largest variable available to hold the address of RAM or flash, even when they do not have too. That is the job for the 1000 optimiser level the commercial compiler adds.

Over the years, I've ran many tests with the MPLABC then XC8 compiler and the XC16 compiler and the code they produce is absolutely dreadful and something I was producing back in the 1990s when I was learning the assembler for PIC microcontrollers and 1012 when I was learning PIC24 assembler. I would be thoroughly ashamed af a compiler that produces the code they produce, but that doesn't seem to matter these days as long as it is "free" users don't give a damn that it is crap and bulky and slow. :-( Just take a look at the code produced for the Arduino's AVR microcontroller! Utterly dreadful underneath!!!
    Last edited by top204; 14th March 2020 at 17:23.

8. Attention

Prolific Poster
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 182
    Total Downloaded
    5.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

If you want real inefficiency. I sometimes use an Arduino as a quick check that may latest super cheap dohicky actually works. Just to check the Arduino was working I ran the blinky, over 900 bytes!!!!
    George.

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    329.46 MB

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by towlerg View Post
    use an Arduino
    If you like to use C++ and Wiring to write a little source don't expect nothing but inefficient results. In particular some library is rather a bunch of statements with less conscious respect for a mere 8 bit MCU.
    I just stumble on the PID library which use DOUBLE for they results. Fortunately the amount of space and MIPS on the ATmega family is quite large.

12. Attention

Thread Information