Thread: error in lcd 16x246 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded

0 Not allowed!

Unhappy error in lcd 16x2

best regards friends

Well, I designed a code with pic 18f2550, this code is for measuring resistors and capacitors, but when simulating in proteus I get the following error
    controller received data whilst busy.

this is my code

Device 18F2550
    Xtal = 48

DelayMS 100
    CMCON = 7
    All_Digital = TRUE
    Declare LCD_Type = 0
    Declare LCD_DTPin = PORTB.4
    Declare LCD_RSPin = PORTB.1
    Declare LCD_ENPin = PORTB.0
    Declare LCD_Interface = 4
    Declare LCD_Lines = 2

Dim VALOR As Word
    Dim R As Float
    Dim C As Float

Cls
    LAZO:
    High PORTC.0
    DelayMS 1
    VALOR = RCIn PORTC.0 , High
    Print At 1,1, "TEST RCIN JOSE JOSE"

R = VALOR /(1450 * 0.1)
    C = VALOR /(1450 * 10)

Print At 2,2,"R:",Dec1 R , " "
    Print At 2,9,"C:",Dec2 C , " "

GoTo LAZO

I hope you can help me thanks

jose
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails error in lcd 16x2.jpg‎  

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 40
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: error in lcd 16x2

Your code shows the four data bits to the LCD as RB4,5,6 and 7. But the diagram shows RB3,5,6 and 7.

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded

0 Not allowed!

that is to say that the fault is in the declaration of the variables of the lcd or do I have it in the electrical connection of the circuit?

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded

0 Not allowed!

I have corrected the electrical connections of the circuit and the simulation presents the same error.
    Could it be that I need an additional instruction?Click image for larger version

Name:	It does not display a message on the lcd 16x2 and the simulation in proteus presents an error.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	3888

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 40
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

0 Not allowed!

Can you try it on actual hardware Jose?

Charlie

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded

0 Not allowed!

I still do not have the necessary hardware to perform the real test, I also believe that in the summation in proteus it presents an error, sure that in the real test it will happen the same, do not you think, friend?
    :Confusión:

12. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 34
    Total Downloaded
    4.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Does it print to LCD if you comment out the "Valor= ....." line?
    What version of the compiler are you using?
    John

14. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded

0 Not allowed!

It does not print on the value line, the compiler version is 3.6.0.2.
    download it from the following link
    http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/vbdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=416

Is it a compiler problem or does my code need an instruction?

16. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    3.87 GB

0 Not allowed!

I tried it on read hardware that required the following changes due to its configuration...

Device = 18F4550
    Xtal = 20
    LDC on Port D, as that is where I had it connected using the same display as your simulation

Software changes made other than those required for the hardware

Added fuse configuration, most people use the configurator plugin available here. If you don't already have it I recommend installing you install it.
    Added TRISD (TRISB in your case) = $00 before the LDC declares to set I/O pins used for the LCD to outputs, maybe the compiler does that for you but I like to do it myself just to be sure.

With compiler version 3.7.2.5 I got a correct display on the LDC when connected to PortD, however having tried several things I have so far been unable to get any display when connected to PortB.

Note:
    For a real device you will need to do more than just declare the Xtal as 48 and add a fuse configuration to get it operate at that frequency. I suggest you read this as a guide on how to do that (page 2 is particularly relevant) as depending on what your crystal frequency is will depend on if you only need to use the PLL or if you have to also write to registers to set up pre and/or post scallers to make the system clock speed equal the declared speed.

18. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.87 GB

0 Not allowed!

The reason I could not get it to work on PortB was that PortB.5 never went high due to the Low Voltage Programming bring enabled which over rides all other settings keeping that pin as in input - Doh!

Unfortunately the Low voltage programming mode is enable by default, I don't know if Proteus or the compiler automatically turns that off or not so try entering a fuse configuration into your code that has the LVP function turned off and see if that makes a difference and keep an eye on pin status in the simulation to see if it remains low or not, if it does that that could explain the display issues in the simulation.
    Last edited by Stephen Moss; 21st February 2020 at 12:56.

20. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Given: 55
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Moss View Post
    The reason I cannot get the LCD to work with PortB on my hardware is that PortB.5 never goes high, I have tried 2 devices and it is the same on both so either they have the same fault or there is something I'm missing.
    Hi Stephen- Are you sure low voltage programming is turned off in the fuse configuration? That will keep B.5 from becoming an output.

-Rick

22. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.87 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Rick,
    thanks. I had just worked that out myself and was updating my previous post while you sent yours.

I don't know why they made on the default when it can easily be overlooked and cause such problems.

24. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded

0 Not allowed!

Unhappy Re: error in lcd 16x2

I have made the settings in the code using pic 18f4550 and the 20 mhz crystal, I have changed port b with port d, and now in the ldc the message is displayed but what is not displayed in the results of the values of the resistance and capacitors to measure.
    Attached simulation in proteus and the circuit of connection to the pic to measure resistors and capacitors.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DO NOT display results in lcd 16x2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	3889Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic-Connection-Circuit.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	3890

I hope and help me again
    thanks

26. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded

0 Not allowed!

Question Re: error in lcd 16x2

which of all plugins should I install for the proton ide version 3.6.0.2
    I attach the link

http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/content.php/157-Plugins

28. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 319
    Given: 153
    Total Downloaded
    1.99 GB

0 Not allowed!

Never trust simulation software 100%. It depends on which model they based their Hitachi chipset for the LCDs, and the timings used for it. An example of this type of issue is the Isis model of the KS0108 graphic LCD, because they used an internal clock so slow, it cannot be fully operated with a microcontroller running over approx 20MHz.

The Hitachi "compatible" chipsets each tend to have a different timing within them. The compiler does not use the R/W pin of the LCD to read the STATUS from the LCD because it was written when devices only had 18 pins and very few I/O lines, so the R/W line was not needed because the only hitachi chipsets out there were actually Hitachi chipsets and not Chinese clones.

You could try adding the declares that slow down or speed up the command and data timings sent to the LCD:

Code:
    Declare LCD_CommandUs = 2000
    Declare LCD_DataUs = 50
    The values above are the default timings used within the compiler if the declares are not issued in the program.

30. Attention

Thread Information