Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 95
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default RF modules recomendations?

Hi,

I'm looking at new product. It involves a hand held temp meter/indicator talking to base unit. Now I could use a cable but thinking about the distance involved some cases it would be a pain. The distance is actually only 4-5 mtrs max but to long really for a cable.

So I'm looking for a simple rf module that can cover the short distance involved. 434, 868 not sure. I may be on sale in the USA so not sure 434mhz might be out. Bluetooth is out also as I had the thing due to so many issues with headphones, car etc. It will tx approx every 1 second and the packet will be just a few bytes. I doubt I need 2 way.

I'm not interested in having to roll my own FR code so a simple ttl input and ttl output would be ideal eg RS232. It can be 2400 or 9600. Speed is not an issue.

Any recomendations?

Thanks

Tim
    Tim

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 39
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: RF modules recomendations?

George had a lot of success with HC-12 modules. I think they are 434Mhz but they look very simple: RS232, 9600 by default, cheap.

Charlie

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 182
    Total Downloaded
    5.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

HC-12 operates 433.4-473.0MHz not sure if that excludes it, it has 100 channels and defaults to 0. Otherwise super simple and super cheap, defaults to 9600, no problem with range, 3.3v
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks

Looks perfect

Tim
    Tim

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 147
    Total Downloaded
    1.99 GB

1 Not allowed!

You can try the nRF2401+ tranceivers. They operate at quite long ranges and are extremely inexpensive.

I created a library for them a few years back for a project I was doing for someone, and I've placed it on my google drive here:

Proton nRF24L01+ Demo.zip

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 182
    Total Downloaded
    5.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

nRF24L01+ is excellent if your looking for a high speed bidirectional data transfer environment with auto Ack and auto retransmit but HC-12 is just so easy and suits your requirements (except the 433 thing).
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 34
    Total Downloaded
    4.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Tim,
    Be aware that the range 420-450MHz is an amateur radio allocation. There may be transmitters outputting up to 1kW, especially around 432-433. There are also satellite transmissions between 435-436. I suggest you stick to 433-434 as amateurs avoid transmitting there as they know LIPD units operate there. In addition, for the above reason I suggest you have handshaking and error correction if your device is anything but a hobby application.
    John

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks Les

They look better and compatible in the USA I think.

Quote Originally Posted by top204 View Post
    You can try the nRF2401+ tranceivers. They operate at quite long ranges and are extremely inexpensive.

I created a library for them a few years back for a project I was doing for someone, and I've placed it on my google drive here:

Proton nRF24L01+ Demo.zip
    Tim

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

0 Not allowed!

Morning Tim

You could look at the RFM22 From Hope Rf. http://www.hoperf.com/, There is a whole range of Transceivers for many applications.
    There Frequency and power can be set. They work extremely well. Some of there module are built around Silicone Labs Chips https://www.silabs.com/

Kind Regards

Craig

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 11
    Total Downloaded
    1.53 GB

0 Not allowed!

The NRF24L01+ modules are very cheap. I buy them with original IC for $1.2 each or $0.80 for the Si24 clone which works just as good with a little higher current but can be programmed to add 2-3dBm power. They work up to 30-35 meters without external antennas. If you need more range, you can always put the high power module ($7) with antenna on the base station. The frequency is compatible world wide and it will co-exist with almost any radio traffic around it. and the protocol supports retransmits if NO ACK and payload with ACK. I think I put the demos on the forum but can always help if anyone needs something specific.

• Attention

Thread Information