Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    223.72 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: How to read TTL input of a displacement transducer

It is called Quadrature encoding. 2 digital signals that are 90 degrees out of phase. One leading the other means forward and 1 trailing the other means reverse. A standard protocol used for displacement sensors and rotary encoders. Be aware that from what you mentioned earlier yours is RS422 level comparable.

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 5
    Total Downloaded
    19.14 MB

0 Not allowed!

Please guide me with a code.I tried many codes but only I can get forward ( increasing) readings.

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    3.87 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by amod View Post
    My displacement sensor has 90° shift.
    How do you know that as it is not in the data specifications you provided?
    I could find no other specifications from a quick internet search and neither the data you provided or any I found actually indicate which signals are connected to which pins or that it actually outputs a direction rather then just a position relative to one end. Are you sure that you do not have to calculate distance and direction of travel by comparing the current and previous reading of that it the type of output you want?

Regardless of that the specifications indicate the output is RS422, 11uA and 1V P-P, so...
    1. Being a serial ouput it would be logial to expect the data output (if signed) is either two or three Bytes ( sign byte & magnitude) or a signed Byte/Word value.
    2. Assuming all three specs relating to the RS244 output and not three different output formats I do not think you can read it directly and reliably with a TTL input as the voltage level is too low.

Therefore, I think the reason you are having trouble reading it is that you are treating the output as a single ended signal when RS422 appears to be a differential signal (the differential Amplifier/TTL links at the bottom of the page may also be helpful).
    If that is the case then possible methods of converting to a TTL compatible signal are...
    1. Purchase a RS422 to RS232 converter chip, probably the best option if you can find one or
    2. Differential amplifer with a gain of 5 or

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    19.14 MB

0 Not allowed!

Stephen Moss,I confirmed with the seller from which I purchased encoder it has TTL output with 90°shift .The same output as rotory encoder has.I have written a code that works but it only increases reading.

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 13
    Total Downloaded
    3.14 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Amod,

Here is a link to a program that I posted that reads rotary encoder and sends the result serially. IOC interrupt is used to read the pins and most of the work is done in the interrupt handler:

http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/showthr...566#post509566http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/showthread.php/77483-Lathe-DRO-for-use-with-TouchDRO?p=509566#post509566

T
    o count up and down and below zero I use signed integers. Note also that it has X4 count, which means that it counts all changes of both channels.
    Flosi Guğmundsson
    Reykjavík

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    19.14 MB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks Flosigud.

12. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    19.14 MB

0 Not allowed!

I purchased a simple rotary encoder which have two outputs and a switch.Iam getting the increasing values but decreasing.pls help.
    Last edited by amod; 28th February 2020 at 19:03.

14. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.14 GB

0 Not allowed!

This is the same encoder that I used to test my code.
    Flosi Guğmundsson
    Reykjavík

16. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    19.14 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hello Flosigud,
    You used interrupt in your program.I don't know how to use interrupt s.Please tell me how to use them with a sample code.

18. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 33
    Total Downloaded
    6.56 GB

0 Not allowed!

Well, I saw the YouTube you posted and there is a small code which you could have easily converted.

I came up with this: -

Code:
    Dim EncA_LastState  As Bit
    Dim EncA_State      As Bit
    Dim Count           As SWord = 0

Symbol EncA = PORTB.0
    Symbol EncB = PORTB.1

EncA_LastState = EncA

'=================================================================
    Main: 

Do

EncA_State = EncA

If EncA_State <> EncA_LastState Then
            If EncB <> EncA_State Then
                Inc Count
            Else
                Dec Count
            EndIf
        EndIf

EncA_LastState = EncA_State

Loop
    According to the video and studying a bit the code, it should work.
    Regards

Joseph

20. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    19.14 MB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks Joseph,
    Your code is working on increasing side only.I tried my code also but result is same.Can you guide me how to use interrupt.I think interrupt should be used for such codes.

22. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    19.14 MB

0 Not allowed!

Do I have to add pull-up resistor to portb.0 and portb.1 for rotary encoder?

24. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    3.87 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks Joseph,
    Your code is working on increasing side only.I tried my code also but result is same.Can you guide me how to use interrupt.I think interrupt should be used for such codes.
    I think the problem lies with the use of the not equals comparison
    Code:
    If EncA_State <> EncA_LastState Then
    as by using the not equals comparison the state of A will be 1-1-0-0 as it rotates and so unless it is moving forward one, back one it will miss every other count as the comparison is only true on a 0 to 1 or 1 to 0 transition. The same applies to the second comparison.

As I said in reply to your PM you need to compare the current state to the previous state to establish direction, something like this...
    Code:
    Dim Current_State as Byte
    Dim Previous State as Byte
    Dim Position_count as Word
    Dim Position as Word

Update_Position:
    Current_State = PortB & $03   'Read PortB and mask off non sensor (B7:2) bits, inputs on B1 & B0

If Current_State <> Previous_State then    'Only perform position comparisons when there is movement.
    Select Current_State    'Sensor output forward data order is 1-3-2-0-1-3-2-0 
    Case = 0
    If Previous_State = 2 then Inc Position_Count   'Forward
    else 
    Dec Position_Count  'Backward

Case = 1
    If Previous_State = 0 then Inc Position_Count
    else 
    Dec Position_Count

'Add remaining two cases (=2 & =3) here
    'Inc & Dec may need to be reversed depending on how you have wired the senor connections in relation to what you consider to be the direction of forward travel. 

EndSelect
    EndIf
    Previous_State = Current_State  'Update Previous State ready for next comparison

Update_Reading:
    Position = Position_Count * Conversion_Factor  'Convert count to a real distance in cm, mm or Inches as applicable
    Try that the the main loop of a separate program (add output display) to see if it produces the correct results, turning the sensor slowly so that you don't miss any counts. If it does then as I also indicated in reply to your PM using interrupt on change inputs would probably be the best solution for your actual project, placing the Update_Position code inside your interrupt handler as when executed in you main code you could potentially miss rotations.

There is a whole section on interrupts in the Proton Manual starting at page 440 (Interrupt Directives), and you will need to consult the PIC datasheet for how to set up interrupt on change.
    I suggest reading the Interrupt section of the proton manual thoroughly and trying the examples in a separate program to get a feel for how interrupts work before adding interrupts to your main project program. I would recommend using the immediate On_Hardware_Interrupt over the when the code has time On Interrupt to run the Update_Position code as again with On Interrupt you could potentially miss counts but you should play with both types of interrupt in simple a separate program to get a feel for them.

26. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.14 GB

0 Not allowed!

Do I have to add pull-up resistor to portb.0 and portb.1 for rotary encoder?
    The encoder you posted may have pull up resistors. Mine didn't so í added those.
    Flosi Guğmundsson
    Reykjavík

28. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 33
    Total Downloaded
    6.56 GB

0 Not allowed!

I ordered one of those encoders to make tests. It will take a while until it arrives.

Amod, post your circuit diagram how everything is connected.
    Regards

Joseph

30. Attention

Thread Information