Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 55
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Something screwy about 16F88 OSCCON register

Quote Originally Posted by JonW View Post
    May not be related but on certain parts and using different programmers/PCB's the pickits, pro programmers and clones can have issues programming due to the speed of the ICSP data and the trace capacitance/flying leads. There is an option to slow the bus it on the microchip programmers.
    I wish it was that simple. I did try slower programming on real Pickit 2's and 3's and on clone Pickit 2's and 3's. No joy.

Thanks for the thought, though!

-Rick

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JonW View Post
    Pickit 4 seems much better than older pickits.
    I do have a Pickit 4 here but I've had nothing but trouble out of it and stopped using it about 6 months ago. Based on your suggestion I did get it back out to try it. I had to install a newer version of MPLABX IPE. After more than half an hour of endless error messages I "retired" the Pickit 4 again.

Based on this thread you may think my ICSP connection is messed up, and it may be- but we've been using the same ICSP connection on dozens of different types of boards that we make, and aside from these new troubles that only seem to only affect the 16F88, all's good!

It's increasingly obvious that I just need to stop using 16F88's.

I do appreciate your input, though.

-Rick

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 13
    Total Downloaded
    3.14 GB

0 Not allowed!

I have two Pickit 2 , one orginal and one clone. Both work much better with Pickit 2 PLUS. It is a fantastic piece of software that makes it possible to use both Pickit 2 and 3 with all current pics.

My experienxe with internal oscillator on 16f88 is that it is unusable with serial. Before giving up I contemplated writing a program to adjust osctune. Microchip has some information as how to do that, but I concluded that was to much trouble.
    Flosi Guğmundsson
    Reykjavík

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 34
    Total Downloaded
    4.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

On some projects, even though the ICSP pins are not shared, I find I have power up the board AND provide power through the pickit 3.
    John

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by flosigud View Post
    I have two Pickit 2 , one orginal and one clone. Both work much better with Pickit 2 PLUS. It is a fantastic piece of software that makes it possible to use both Pickit 2 and 3 with all current pics.
    I agree totally! PicKit Plus is great. I use it all the time. BTW- If you look on eBay, the Pickit 2 clones that come in beige-colored rectangular box are really good. My company uses a bunch of them in "programmer-to-go" mode.

Quote Originally Posted by flosigud View Post
    My experienxe with internal oscillator on 16f88 is that it is unusable with serial. Before giving up I contemplated writing a program to adjust osctune. Microchip has some information as how to do that, but I concluded that was to much trouble.
    Thanks for the info. In this case the PIC is doing some non-time-critical A/D and driving an alphanumeric LCD.

-Rick

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by John Drew View Post
    On some projects, even though the ICSP pins are not shared, I find I have power up the board AND provide power through the pickit 3.
    John
    Thanks, John-
    In this case the Pickit 3 won't recognize the 16F88 at all, whether the board is externally powered or not.
    I've tried the Pickit 2 both powering the board and with external power to the board. It programs the PIC fine both ways, but it always throws that configuration error.

-Rick

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 182
    Total Downloaded
    5.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

Just curious, but why are you persevering with this Pic device? I suppose you could try LVP (assuming you aint messing with RB3 (PGM)
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by towlerg View Post
    Just curious, but why are you persevering with this Pic device? I suppose you could try LVP (assuming you aint messing with RB3 (PGM)
    Hi George-
    I'm persevering with it only because I kind of have to. There are hundreds of these boards already out in the field and I need to remain backward compatible. LVP is not an option because RB3 is occupied feeding the RS pin of an LCD, also it's not brought out to the ICSP connector.

When I wrote the original code for the 16F88 back in 2006 (when we first started shipping these boards), I failed to set the OSCCON register, and the chip "accidentally" ran at the correct speed, (8 Mhz), even though the spec sheet says it will run at 31 Khz if OSCCON is not set. Now that I am updating the code I wanted to tie up loose ends by adding the OSCCON setting, but everything blew up when I did.

That's what I get for trying to do things right...........

-Rick

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    3.87 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rcurl View Post

Now- the second part of the problem- I think there is an error on the PIC16F88 spec sheet because in the OSCCON section it indicates that IRCF2, 1, and 0 all default to "0" if not set, which would set the system clock to 31.25Khz, yet if I remove the OSCCON setting it runs at 8 Mhz.
    It has been ages since I used the MPLAB IDE but if the OSCCON register is listed in device configuration section then you could set it for 8MHz in the IDE and see if the listed register values match that you would expect from the data sheet, if the values are the same then that eliminates any possible error in the datasheet.
    If it can also read back and display the data programmed onto the chip it would be interesting to compare that to the HEX file and see if there is a mismatch that would generate the configuration verification error, just in case the message is being generated in error.

You could try wiring up a device on a board, just on its own with the only connections being those for ISCP & power and see what happens when you program that. If you still get the error that at least eliminates anything connected to the ISCP pins on the production circuits as potentially causing a read/write error.

If you are testing on a new device LVP is enabled by default and can only be altered by programming the device in HV programming mode, it may be worth checking that the MCLR pin is being pulled up to the correct voltage (12V?) to place the device in HV ICSP mode, if it is not then the device may still be set to LVP which is in conflict with your configuration and hence the error message.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Stephen-
    I know almost nothing about MPLAB, but I did load my hex file and I can see all of the configuration fuses are set correctly, but ALL of the SFR's are zero.
    I'm probably doing something wrong.
    On my PCB MCLR goes to a 10K pullup resistor and to the ICSP header, and nowhere else.
    PGC and PGD are shared with an LCD, but I am unplugging the LCD from the board while programming. PGM is not connected.

For now I'm just going to remove the OSCCON setting and act like none of this ever happened.

-Rick

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 182
    Total Downloaded
    5.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

I wonder if there's anything here will help https://www.theengineeringprojects.c...-pic16f88.html
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 31
    Total Downloaded
    6.55 GB

0 Not allowed!

I use a lot the 16F88 and never had problems. Having said that, I use the Mikroelektronika programmer.

But as a direct replacement with more options I moved to the 16F1827 or 16F1847 with more options. Unfortunately, there isn't an 18F device with same pin count as a replacement, so had to stick with 16F.
    Regards

Joseph

• Attention

Thread Information