Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    437.99 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Typical flat BASIC Program Layout

Hello everyone
    looking at the proton manual on page 36 you can see the basic structure of a program.
    I ask if it is correct to put the initial setting of the various registers between the Declare and the variable declarations?
    Also I ask if the includes should always be put between the declare and the variables?
    I have sometimes noticed on programs that the include is placed right in the main program is correct?
    Thank you

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 95
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Typical flat BASIC Program Layout

How exactly you lay it out it is of personal preference but the basics are you need to declare the variable, constant, register etc before you use them. Not 100% on declares.

eg

Reg info
    Variables
    Declares
    Includes

Code

You can if desired declare variables just before you use them eg.
    mysub:
    Dim var abc as byte
    ABC = 1
    etc

After awhile you will develop your own preference. The only tip I have that I recommend is naming variables. Prefix them with the type eg:-

Dim bABC as Byte
    Dim wCBA as word
    Dim cBAC as 10

Note the use of a lowercase prefix to describe the type. No confusion later over what var type it is.

HTH Tim
    Tim

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 3
    Total Downloaded
    319.88 MB

0 Not allowed!

The layout might depend on the compiler to process the input in a certain manner.
    I put a concern regarding where the includes might be. They are included exactly where its statement lays. Therefore anything prior and after the include will depend from the include itself. In most of the cases it don't matter if they are placed on the top of the program, but for certain programming method, conditional includes might be necessary to be placed to the wanted position that it should appear.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Total Downloaded
    872.27 MB

0 Not allowed!

As Tim wrote, everyone has their own preferred way but I had a problem a few weeks ago where the 'include' was below the declares and variables and caused a compile error which cleared when I moved the include to the top of the code directly after the device and xtal lines.

I also prefer to put the config lines at the end of the code out of the way.
    My RAM is failing

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Total Downloaded
    437.99 MB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks everyone for replying

• Attention

Thread Information