Thread: Clean up old versions43 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 54
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Clean up old versions

I just installed 3.7.3.3 and after the install was done I had two shortcuts on my desktop. It appears I have two working versions installed at the same time. I ran Revo Uninstaller to see if I should uninstall one, and was surprised to find what appears to be ELEVEN installations of PDS. Some say the author is Les Johnson, others say Rosetta Tech, Rosetta Technologies, or Crownhill.

What should I do to clean this up?

Thanks.

-Rick
    Last edited by rcurl; 12th December 2019 at 18:33.

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 34
    Total Downloaded
    4.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Clean up old versions

G'day Rick,
    If you look at the properties of the shortcuts you'll find they point to the same file. So just delete the shortcut you don't want. Then I just uninstall the old registry entries using Windows Programs and files.
    Best wishes for the Festive Season
    John

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by John Drew View Post
    G'day Rick,
    If you look at the properties of the shortcuts you'll find they point to the same file.
    John
    I wish it was that simple. They actually do point to different locations. One points to C:\temp_PDS and the other points to C:\program files\(x86)\ProtonIDE. Both location contain version 3.7.3.3.

Weird.

-Rick

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 34
    Total Downloaded
    4.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Oh!
    Now some extra words so the forum is happy.

John

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    408.14 MB

0 Not allowed!

What should I do to clean this up?
    I uninstall all the previous versions and then reinstall the last one.
    That seems to make windows uninstaller happy (it removes all the previous instances).

Note that if you have any other Mecanique products (PBP/Microcode Studio, Swordfish, Firewing, etc) the PDS uninstall will wipe out ALL the Mecanique registry keys under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MecaniqueUK, so all these products will have to be reinstalled too unless you backup/restore that registry section!

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 182
    Total Downloaded
    5.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

It takes a while to get the docking gui elements and plugins just so. So why risk having to do it all again if uninstall uninstalls the wrong one.

So if you need the space, why not manually delete the old versions and live with the multiple entries in installed apps.
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    3.87 GB

0 Not allowed!

If could just be that the old Icon was not removed, and that when you click it you just get a message stating the file no longer exists, but they my not happen if it is pointing to the same place as the latest install.
    Sometime a reboot is required before the old icon is cleared from the desktop, occasionally when I go into Control Panel - Programs I have see multiple copies installed but when I go to uninstall a message says it does not exist do I want to remove the (ghost) entry.

As for the eleven copies, if they are not listed in the Programs section of the Control panel they may just be orphaned registry entries.

Personally, I would use the Programs section of the control panel to uninstall all listed entries, then I would go through the registry an manually delete all entries relating to PDS/Proton. But if you trust the Revo Uninstaller try removing all the entries with that as digging around in the registry is not for everyone. Maybe back up your HD first just in case, then re-install the latest version once the old version have been cleared.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

0 Not allowed!

I think I've got it fixed now.
    I was afraid to use Revo Uninstaller because it may delete too much.
    I backed up my drive and used control panel to delete all but the most recent version. After doing so, I clicked on the Proton shortcut and the IDE opened. I loaded a fie and tried to compile, but the compiler had apparently been uninstalled. I opened the latest installer and clicked "repair" after a couple minutes it finished and all is good again.

Thanks for all the suggestions on this!

-Rick

• Attention

Thread Information