Thread: Proton review289 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 34
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

2 Not allowed!

Default Proton review

As promised I've written a brief review of PDS.
    I get a reasonable number of hits on my Amateur Radio Website so I've created a page about Proton.
    PDS deserves to be more widely used. If enough of us make postings that will be picked up by the search engines the better.
    Here's my review.
    http://www.vk5dj.com/pds.html

John
    VK5DJ

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 4
    Total Downloaded
    1.83 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Proton review

This will probably be very hard for some to believe. Based upon our logs of traffic visiting this web site and forum. The most popular search term that people have used when using Google and Bing as their search engine is:
    LET Basic

Proton Basic is considerably lower in its use.

pic basic is by far the most popular.

When promoting articles, advertising, blogs or any other published content, it is very important to use the correct key words within the article, to ensure the indexing is appropriate for the result you wish to achieve.

If the article is primarily designed to encourage users of your web site to take an interest in Proton Basic, it is likely to work very well.

If the article is primarily designed to encourage search engines to index Proton Basic it needs to mention pic basic and let basic and it needs to link to related urls and as many relevant articles on the proton site as possible. (espacially ones that have been created to help indexing - i.e ones that mention let basic and pic basic)

Reciprocal links from the proton forum to your web site will help increase popularity and search engine position, links from the pic basic forum to your web site ( not the proton article) will also help.

Once that is in place, invite the search engines to index your site, and watch the change in popularity over the following 3 months.

Publishing content is a great start, but there is far more to successful promotion.
    Lester Wilson
    ---------------------------------
    Crownhill Associates Limited
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    Tel: +44 1353 749990
    Fax: +44 1353 749991
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 48
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

0 Not allowed!

Nice work John.

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    3.87 GB

0 Not allowed!

I don't know how you are creating the webpage or if this is still an option as HTML keeps changing and it has been a while but I am sure you used to be able to put Keywords in the source code (if think in the header somewhere) that search engines/bots look for.
    I could not see that in your source code.
    Having just Googled it it would seem I my memory has not failed me and it does go in the header. Try something like...

<meta name="keywords" content="Proton,PIC,pic,BASIC,basic,Microchip">

I can't remember if the keywords are case sensitive hence the inclusion of PIC and BASIC as both.

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the tips Lester and Stephen. As you can tell I'm no expert at these things. Personally I'm not interested in how many hits my site receives, however, I do want to do what I can to increase the number of people who use PDS.
    So, in the next week I'll try to implement the suggestions so the PDS page gets more attention.

You might ask why I don't look for more hits. I get a lot of email requests for help with my projects, enough to keep me busy giving quality support. More hits means more requests and less time for my own interesting projects in my retirement.
    When I've made the changes I'll post here and hopefully Stephen and Lester will give some more feedback.
    John

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.83 GB

0 Not allowed!

here are a couple of links that might help you understand how Google will index your site, How to limit what gogle indexes and how to see what google already knows about your site.

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/7440203

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/9012289
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

12. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

Stephen, I use WebPlusX7 a UK product but unfortunately no longer supported. They moved to another product. I know I can insert HTML but from memory I think the program has support for keywords. I bought various versions years ago and I'm out of touch with many of its niceties.
    John

14. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    1.62 GB

0 Not allowed!

Great job John, we have to be more visible on the web.

Gary

16. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

Lester/Stephen,
    Thought I'd better do it before the search engines found the page. It was easier than I thought, my web authoring program made it a piece of cake.
    Would you please check it I have got it right?
    I'll add to the page as time goes by but for the moment I wanted to get something up.
    http://www.vk5dj.com/pds.html
    Thanks
    John

18. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.83 GB

0 Not allowed!

John, you can try this on your page
    http://www.seowebpageanalyzer.com/

Currently Proton is the keyword, I think its probably better to be more concentric around 'ProtonBasic' Proton is too generic, searches for the word 'proton' are unlikely to be for the compiler and unlikely to result in your page being highly ranked for that product.

Bearing in mind that there is an overwhelming volume of searches for letbasic, that result in visits to the proton basic forum, I'd suggest that you need to leverage on that, if you want the page to rank highly.

Its really important to identify exactly what you want to achieve from this exercise. Is the page there to inform people, or to attract the search engines and therefore indirectly inform people. These are fundamentally different pages, one would be an interesting read for a human, the other will be painfully strewn with key words and links.

To get crownhill to the number one spot for many keyword searches, we used to run some very strange pages and pad pages with 'invisible text' , none of which looked pretty, read well or sometimes even made sense, but did achieve some very good indexing. - months of hard work for those involved.

When working with Element14 and Microchip we promoted ProtonBasic the same way. Even though those pages are no longer online, the current ranking still reflects that work !
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

20. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the info Lester, I'll make some changes tomorrow.
    John

22. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 33
    Total Downloaded
    6.78 GB

0 Not allowed!

So if the name, possibly of this website is changed for example to protonpicbasic.co.uk it will get more hits because pic basic is included in the website name? Excuse my ignorance in the subject.
    Regards

Joseph

24. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    3.87 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by John Drew View Post
    Lester/Stephen,
    Thought I'd better do it before the search engines found the page. It was easier than I thought, my web authoring program made it a piece of cake.
    Would you please check it I have got it right?
    As far as I can tell the Keyword addition looks good.

I also have WebPlusX7 which I brought a few years ago as my copy of Dreamweaver was getting a bit old and did not have the latest HTML standard. Never really used it but if you had run into trouble adding the keywords I could of taken a look at it for you.

26. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.83 GB

0 Not allowed!

I really liked Dreamweaver, sadly old and long in the tooth now. However I'm liking googles desktop design environment , well worth a look if you liked Dreamweaver. https://webdesigner.withgoogle.com/
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

28. Attention

Thread Information