+ Reply to Thread
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 1
    Total Downloaded
    2.75 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Changes after latest version of the compiler

I have been attempting to compile one of my programs and have had an error PBP_VAR0 and PBP_VAR1 not found. This is in a bit of assembler where I Push and Pop variables in an interrupt routine. Have these internal names been changed?
    JohnB

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 296
    Given: 142
    Total Downloaded
    1.75 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Changes after latest version of the compiler

The PBP_xxx compiler system variables have had a name change to PBS_xxx since version 3.7.x.x

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3
    Total Downloaded
    308.02 MB

0 Not allowed!

I think that using internal variable is not a good practice. I found it on my own too, on the way to save some variable, but it become a high risk.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 1
    Total Downloaded
    2.75 GB

0 Not allowed!

I agree but when you are having to alter the stack after an interrupt there is little alternative.
    JohnB

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 296
    Given: 142
    Total Downloaded
    1.75 GB

0 Not allowed!

I agree that the compiler's internal stack variables PBS_xxx should not be used too much, but as John said, when you are working low level, they are a must to save otherwise they can be overwritten, especially with John's excellent RTOS.

When a user becomes more familiar with the compiler, the use of the compiler's standard parameter variables. i.e. PPx, GENx variables are very useful because thay can be used to cut a lot of corners off code and make it faster, and are a must if a compiler command routine is implemented in the BASIC code because they are used as Registers, as other microcontrollers have. If there were enough users, I'd actually create a booklet about the "compiler's secrets" and sell if for a few pounds. When the Proton's inner workings are understood, it is capable of creating even better, faster and smaller code that will beat most Asm writers, yet still be written in BASIC. I created a WS2812B RGB LED controller library and it is capable of operating down to 12MHz and without using "ANY" Assembler code, purely Proton BASIC. Now that is something in itself!!!!

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3
    Total Downloaded
    308.02 MB

0 Not allowed!

I convene that we can, at certain point, help the basic by adding some special routines in assembly. But as I could see, system variable are not guarantee to be there unless stated. So if one wants to use the PBS_VAR# then should be declare as system variable. At this point I don't know whether the compiler will share the same variable for its own purposes.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 12
    Total Downloaded
    5.03 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by top204 View Post
    .... If there were enough users, I'd actually create a booklet about the "compiler's secrets" and sell if for a few pounds. When the Proton's inner workings are understood,....
    Oh yes Les, register me for your booklet about the "compiler's secrets"!!!

Johan

• Attention

Thread Information