Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 21
    Total Downloaded
    827.23 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default RS 485 isolator

Hi,
    I have a situation where 10 to 12 RS-485 enabled devices are communicating to a remote SCADA through a 2-wire network.
    I need to provide electrical isolation modules at every node-point to avoid ground loops.
    Are any such devices available at reasonable prices or do I need to design my own isolator using high speed opto's?
    Thanks.
    Shantanu

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Given: 2
    Total Downloaded
    529.65 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: RS 485 isolator

Hi Shantanu I do not know what is available so I cannot help with your question. If you have to make your own isolator I would look at digital isolators as they now seem to outperform opto's in most respects, some isolators are made specifically for RS485. It might pay to try a Digi-key search for Digital Isolators selecting RS485 in the parametric search. I have a hunch if you want a lot of these isolators making your own may be the cheapest option.

Keep well
    Ken K

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    827.23 MB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks Ken.
    Yeah , I have used 6N136/137 opto's for isolating 9600 baud communication before......but for that I need dual power supplies on both the sides.
    Also I need to have a microcontroller for changing the direction for communication.
    I shall have a look at the digital isolators.
    Norm posted some links a few months ago....
    Shantanu

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    1.09 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi,
    https://buy.advantech-bb.com/Serial/...l-BB-485OP.htm
    Not cheap but all depends on your time, I am sure there are others.

Regards,
    Bob

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 55
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Shantanu-
    Do you need something that can be connected to the RS485 buss outside the units, or do you want something that you can add to a PCB you are designing? If you want an isolated transceiver you can add to your design, look at an Analog Devices ADM2483. If you need a bolt-on solution look here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Isolated-RS...AAAOSw-cVdXVfc

-Rick

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    827.23 MB

0 Not allowed!

Yes....costly!!
    My slave devices talk to the SCADA with fixed packet width of 24 bytes @ 9600 baud.
    Therefore , ideally any PIC with hardware UART & two SN75176 RS485 transceivers should do the trick....
    Of course digital isolators & dual power supply would be required for galvanic isolation.
    Shantanu

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    827.23 MB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rcurl View Post
    Hi Shantanu-
    Do you need something that can be connected to the RS485 buss outside the units, or do you want something that you can add to a PCB you are designing? If you want an isolated transceiver you can add to your design, look at an Analog Devices ADM2483. If you need a bolt-on solution look here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Isolated-RS...AAAOSw-cVdXVfc

-Rick
    Hi Rick,
    Actually I am using PLC's for industrial weighing system connected in daisy chain fashion to the system PC running the SCADA software.
    The PLC 485-interfaces are non-isolated & apart from the D+ & D- terminals, have a ground terminal that is connected to the PLC motherboard ground. The manufacturer suggests to connect all the ground terminals also to eliminate common mode voltages. But without electrical isolation , connecting the ground terminals together is asking for trouble since it effectively connects all the PLC grounds to each other.
    Shantanu

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    437.99 MB

0 Not allowed!

It could be a starting point.

https://www.massarielectronics.it/elettronica/5-progetti/22-scheda-interfaccia-massabus.html

Instead of the Max232 put another MAX 485. Also remove FC3

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    203.73 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Shantanu,
    The solution that I implemented for some of my devices.

Regards,
    Gamboa
    Attached Files Attached Files

• Attention

Thread Information