Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    111.58 MB

0 Not allowed!

Question PIC16F676 External Clock Confgration

Hi,
    I want to Config to drive the PIC with another's PIC oscillator.
    How to config like Config XT_OSC? Wat would be instead of XT?

Thanks.

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    3.72 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: PIC16F676 External Clock Confgration

Are you trying to connect both PIC's to the same Xtal or driving one PIC from the CLKout pin of another PIC?
    If the former I would buffer the Xtal with a logic gate of some kind as the loading with two PICs directly connected could cause issues, otherwise depending on the frequency I would try XT & HS, I would think one of them would work.

Personally when using an external clock oscillator and so just driving the one OSC pin I always find HS works the best.

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 180
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: PIC16F676 External Clock Confgration

Can you be a little more specific. Are both Pic devices PIC16F676, does one have a crystal or internal clock. I assume you want one PIC to generate a clock and the other to use that clock?
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    111.58 MB

0 Not allowed!

Question Re: PIC16F676 External Clock Configuration

Thanks to all for useful feedback. Here is a picture attached, which all describe well, what I want.

Can we set bitwise, the Config Register for better control? i.e.
    ' OSCCON = OSCCON & 111011
    ' Config.0 = 1 : Config.1 = 1 : Config.2 = 0

But these configurations don't work. So any workable advice as shown in picture. Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC Clock Sharing.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	3816
    Last edited by thetrueman; 4th November 2019 at 20:57.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: PIC16F676 External Clock Configuration

I havn't tried this but 16F690 would appear to have only 2 modes that generate a clock ie EXTRCCLK and INTRCCLK (CLKOUT function), neither use a crystal.

The only way I can see this work with a crystal osc, is to have an external osc and set both Pic devices to EC (CLKIN on RA5) or use a different Pic device.
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    111.58 MB

0 Not allowed!

Question Re: PIC16F676 External Clock Configuration

Oh my God, I am sorry that in Picture there is mistakenly written PIC16F690. But circuit shows 16F676 which is real.
    Actually I want to make a circuit where three microcontrollers will be used, one master and two slaves.
    Slaves are producing Pulses for steppers (with accuracy) But controlled by Master. So on single small board I want to save crystals and want to drive all PICs by single clock for synchronization. Avoiding Internal Oscillator is due to that they are not accurate and I want to send commands to slaves in a serial way. So a single Clock for all is good.

I just want to know the Config Command Control method like 1101011.
    In Master I will use Config HS_OSC but in Slave PICs I want to use something like Config EC_OSC... here is EC for External Clock but I did not find anywhere for this configuration. In this way Pin3 of 16F676 (RA4) will be used as normal Pin. Thanks for any feedback.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC Clock Sharing 16F676.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	3819
    Last edited by thetrueman; 5th November 2019 at 08:32.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.72 GB

0 Not allowed!

I think you best option will be to use an oscillator module (get one with both HC & TTL compatible output like this), being only slightly larger than a 8 pin PIC is does not really use much more space than separate crystal and caps.

Then just set the Osc to EC on all three PICs and connect the output of the oscillator module to the OSC1 pin of all three PICs.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    111.58 MB

0 Not allowed!

Post Re: PIC16F676 External Clock Configuration

Thanks I will keep your advice about Crystal Module.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Moss View Post
    Then just set the Osc to EC on all three PICs and connect the output of the oscillator module to the OSC1 pin of all three PICs.
    Please how to Config External Clock EC? I only want to use this Config because it frees the RA4 pin to use normally. Thanks.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

I suspect that you do not have the Fuse Configurator plugin installed, if not strongly suggest you do so now. It takes the hassle out of setting fuses and is strongly recommended by all.

You need to decide how to set the other fuses.

EC will certainly give you i/o on RA4 and use a clock on RA.

This device can't generate a clock while using a crystal mode (only internal). For that look for a device with separate clock source select and control over generation of external clock (eg 16F15325)
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.72 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrueman View Post
    Please how to Config External Clock EC? I only want to use this Config because it frees the RA4 pin to use normally. Thanks.
    As George said use the Fuse Configurator, it is a great tool and most Proton users use.
    Alternatively download the intended IDE replacement Proton Studio, it is still under development but has certain plugins like the Fuse configurator built in, it also has code folding.

But if you don't want to do either of those then look at the config instruction, page 399 of the 8bit manual to see how to do it manually and use EC_OSC for the oscillator setting.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    111.58 MB

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs up Re: PIC16F676 External Clock Configuration

Thanks Stephen Moss and all of you for your kind support.

• Attention

Thread Information