+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PPS for 8bit Microchip Micocontrollers11 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1
    Total Downloaded

1 Not allowed!

Default PPS for 8bit Microchip Micocontrollers

I am not sure of the applicability of the software discussed but I thought I would share a piece of software that we use in 'another place'.

The tool is called PPSTool and the software enables simple configuration of the PPS for 8bit Microchip microcontrollers.

What is the PPSTool?

The PPStool helps to automatically generate the PPS configuration code for your program. It is a standalone program.

PPSTool is maintained by Pete Everett, from a Google based prototype I had developed. When initially developed we did think 'this is a reusable tool by other compilers' - hence this post. :-)

How do I use it?

• Run the tool. You may get asked for the location of the Microchip Pin Manager files. We consolidate these upon every release of the Microchip MCC (part of the MPLAB-X IDE)
    • Choose the chip that you are using from the dropdown list.
    • From the input and output sections, choose the peripheral and pin number that you want to map to each other then click the Add button.
    • The code will appear on the right of the screen and can be copied into your code. Clicking Copy will copy it to the clipboard.
    • If you make a mistake, you need to start over (currently at least) which you can do by clicking the Clear button
    What does it look like?

The screenshot below shows the UI. The generated code shown below is for another compiler but this is based upon a template and is therefore configurable. (I edited the template to remove the 'other' compiler references.)
    As you can see. PPS assignments are as inputs and outputs; it isolates PPSUnlock and PPSLock statements and as the user progresses with the selection the code generated is updated.
    It is very easy to use - the chip is shown (PDIP) to show the user port usage.

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

Minimum system requirements[/B]

The program requires .NET Framework 4, which has the following minimum system requirements:
    • Windows XP
    • 1.0 GHz processor
    • 512 Mb of RAM
    Maintenance

We maintain the software whenever Microchip update the Microchip MCC (part of the MPLAB-X IDE). And, we publish as Open Source.

If this is of interest, as this software current focuses on another compiler, then, we could easily adapt for Proton. But, if you have a solution already then I apologise for my lack of knowledge regarding the tool chain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.JPG‎  

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 179
    Total Downloaded
    5.14 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: PPS for 8bit Microchip Micocontrollers

But, if you have a solution already then I apologise for my lack of knowledge regarding the tool chain.
    There is a Proton plugin for PPS but only for 16bit devices. So, although there is some concern about the veracity of mc config files (which is both worrying and amusing), I find the tool excellent and has produced working solutions for all the PIC devices I've used.
    George.

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Total Downloaded

0 Not allowed!

Well.. one response... does this mean that no one needs the tool?

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 34
    Total Downloaded
    4.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

Evan, to date I haven't used an 8 bit device where I've had PPS.
    However it doesn't mean I won't. I never knock back a tool for the toolbox.
    Thanks for your support for Proton and anything that can make coding easier has got to be a plus.
    John

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 290
    Given: 141
    Total Downloaded
    1.68 GB

0 Not allowed!

It would be an excellent tool for the Proton compiler Evan, and I thank you for your detailed info concerning it.

The code produced would be great inside a Proc-EndProc and the hex values using the $ instead of the 0x. The compiler recognises the 0x a a hex constant, but the IDE does not highlight it as a constant value.

The compiler has all the pieces to create PPS_Out and PPS_In routines, but for some reason Microchip have changed the way the format works on some of its devices.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 3
    Total Downloaded
    230.41 MB

0 Not allowed!

May praises for your great support.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Total Downloaded
    2.59 GB

0 Not allowed!

I agree with JohnD it would be a very nice addition to the PDS stable. The PPS Wizard I developed is much more restricted than the PIC PPSTool and I would be happy to replace it with your tool if it can be tailored to generate a PDS compatible Proc as Les has suggested.
    JohnB

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    103.68 MB

0 Not allowed!

I second and third the motion for PPS support for the 8-bit PIC's. At this moment I'm using PDS to develop an app using a PIC that supports PPS. Sure, you can bit bang the registers (and I am) but a function call or declare statement would sure simplify things. More and more PIC's are coming online with the PPS function. It's already in the PDS PIC24 compiler and 8-bit compilers (Mikroelektronika) from other vendors. Would be a great addition to the PDS toolchain...

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    203.73 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi,

It would be a very useful tool. Thank you.

Regards,
    Gamboa

• Attention

Thread Information