Thread: ICD2, ICD3 or QL200 dev board14 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    155.21 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default ICD2, ICD3 or QL200 dev board

I have the choice of ICD2, ICD3 and my trusty Chinese QL200 PIC Development board.

I'm coming from Assembly programming and have always managed with the Microchip tools including MPLAB IDE and either ICD2 or ICD3 for programming the selected chip in-circuit but the QL200 also has a build-in programmer but I've not used it.

Now I am trying to use Proton BASIC I find it is not obvious if I can use any of the above programmers/debuggers. I've searched this forum and although ICD3 appears in a few threads there are none that seem to have cracked the use of these excellent tools with the Proton compiler.

Do I need to work within MPLAB IDE and modify the tool chain to call Proton Compiler to Build and Make and then use the MPLAB programmer menu choices?

Any help would be appreciated.

John

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 180
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: ICD2, ICD3 or QL200 dev board

I'm sure others will provide a more definitive answer but I'm sure you can use any dev board you like.

As far as I know the only way to access ICD2 and ICD3 is though mplab.

I think it's safe to say that the need for a stepping debugger is significantly reduced when programming in Basic.

There are several options -
    a. Proteus, not a perfect sim but great for testing algorithms.
    b. There is a software based stepping debugger for Proton but unfortunately will not compile with latest version.
    c. Use a serial connection to a PC to display variable values using serial out commands
    d. A local LCD to display Print commands

Hope that helps.
    George.

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Total Downloaded
    330.54 MB

0 Not allowed!

As long as you're using a device that is supported by the old MPLAB 8.92 then you can compile, program, and debug using the ICD3 in the MPLAB IDE. There are MPLAB drivers in the folder "Using Proton+ with MPLAB" and a section in the PDS manual about how to install/use that stuff.

If all you want to do is program (and not debug) then there is a command-line programming utility from the microchip files (MPLAB IDE\Programmer Utilities\ICD3\ICD3CMD.EXE) that you can setup in the Proton IDE just like you would with using the PK3.

MPLABX is a different story. There's no support for integrating the compiler into MPLABX (so no easy way to debug), but there are command-line utilities for driving the various programmers that you could use with the Proton IDE.
    Last edited by tumbleweed; 31st October 2019 at 18:51.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 180
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

I wonder if you can use ICD2/3 as programmers using IPE (part or Mplabx)
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    330.54 MB

0 Not allowed!

The mplabx IPE supports the ICD3, but the ICD2 is too old.

The ICD2 requires MPLAB 8. I don't remember if MPLAB had command-line drivers for the ICD2 or not.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    155.21 MB

0 Not allowed!

Yes ICD2 is old hat now so not my first choice but I do use ICD3 for assembly language debugging and found it quite useful.
    Thanks for the help on what is possible
    I'll try to get my brain around it. The proton manual describes How to modify the tool chain within mplab ide to compile proton basic source code but it is written on the basis of using mplab for code debugging rather than programming the target device. Am I missing something here or will I be able to go on to select icd3 as my programmer and programme my chosen microcontroller??

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    330.54 MB

0 Not allowed!

If you're using mplab IDE to build, the main 'Debugger' and 'Programmer' drop-downs menus control what mode is used (selecting one disables the other).

If you want to program the device instead of debug, then instead of using 'Debugger | Select Tool' use 'Programmer | Select Tool | ICD3'.
    After you build you will get a .hex file and the programming will start automatically. There are selections under "Programmer | Settings...' that control things like powering the target, etc.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    155.21 MB

0 Not allowed!

Thank you Tumbleweed. The process of selecting Debugger and Programmer is familiar to me so I should be OKAY once I get MPLAB IDE to compile using the Proton Basic Compiler. Ill follow up on this soon as I'm about to set up winter camp in Spain but I'm taking all my microcontroller stuff with me so should be backup and running on the 7th Nov.

• Attention

Thread Information