LM1881 How to detect the start of a new video frame?

+ Reply to Thread
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 95
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default LM1881 How to detect the start of a new video frame?

Hi

I'm working on a project that will use the LM1881 sync separator. One of the tasks I need to do is count the horizontal lines to know what line I'm on.
    There is a signal generated for every H scan which is great but the Vsync output is not at the start of the first H line. It's in the middle of a load of other Hsync pulses.
    I'm going to be using a Pic to do some analysis of the video signal so can obviously do some timing. Perhaps after the Vsync count the Hsync pulses to get to the first Hsync of the new frame scan. Or time it for x us then wait for the next Hsync and that will be the start of the first line etc etc.

It's obviously not rocket science as even a 12mhz 16f84 can generate text overlays in the same place every time.

Can anyone tell me the best method?

Many thanks

Tim
    Tim

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    88.12 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: LM1881 How to detect the start of a new video frame?

Hi Tim,
    remember that the composite video signal is composed of 2 fields, vertical synchronism, odd lines, vertical synchronism, even lines.
    This is 1 frame
    From pin 7 you know if the lines are odd or even.

Manuel

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Total Downloaded
    872.27 MB

0 Not allowed!

I haven't looked back at the data sheet but I seem to remember there is an alternate field signal available that flips at the end, or possibly start of each frame so maybe you could use that?
    My RAM is failing

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 95
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi

I connected the board up and looked at the signals being generated Pictures below

The Vsync generates a signal as per the Lm1881 sheet but it generates a number of them in another place as well
    The Odd even trigger seems to be better. At least it only happens every frame and in the same place

Now we have a standard I'm back to asking my original question. How to tell where I am to start my analysis of the signal.
    In another test on the scope I set the 2 channels to record the video signal and the Hsync triggered by the Odd Even line. It can be seen from here I probably need to set in start on the rising edge of the Odd/Even line then count the Hsync pulses to get to the start point which is the actual frame where data I need to inspect starts.

Next question is going to be on 2 level comparators but that is for another post.

Pictures below

Vsync and extra pulsing

Pal wave Vsync.jpg

Odd/Even signal
    Pal Wave Odd Even.jpg

Odd/Even and Vsync
    Pal wave Odd even and Vsync.jpg

Video + Hsync triggered on Odd/Even

Pal Sync Hsync and Video Odd even trig.jpg
    Tim

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Total Downloaded
    88.12 MB

0 Not allowed!

cvbs.jpg
    This can help you

• Attention

Thread Information