Thread: Les's ILI9325 Wiki code171 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 39
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Les's ILI9325 Wiki code

I am trying to use Les's code for the ILI9325 controller (from his excellent wiki article). I think I have got the hardware sorted but I get assembler errors about the PRINT command: Symbol not previously defined (PRINT).

I have simply copied Les's example code.
    A cut-down version shows the problem:

Include "Amicus18_Mk2.inc" ' Configure the compiler to use a PIC18F25K22 at 64MHz. i.e. An Amicus18 operating at 5 Volts
    Include "ILI9325.inc" ' Load the ILI9325 graphic LCD macros into the program

GLCD_Cls(clWhite) ' Clear the LCD’s screen with the colour white
    GLCD_PaperColour(clBrightRed) ' Change the colour of the text's background
    GLCD_SetFont(Courier_24) ' Choose the font required
    GLCD_PenColor(clBlack) ' Change the colour of the text to black

GLCD_Cursor(0, 44) ' Move to the start of a line
    Print "Hello" ' This line causes the error ******************************8
    '-----------------------------------------------------------
    ' Load the font into the program
    '
    Include "Courier_24.inc"

I am sure i have missed something obvious, but I can't see it.

Charlie

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 182
    Total Downloaded
    5.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Les's ILI9325 Wiki code

I'm not sure if this is file corruption or the use of hash (assembler directive) is intentional but if you comment out "#ifdef Print#Req" and it's #endif it will compile. Don't have the device to test.
    George.

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks George, that looks promising. I haven't got the actual display yet, but I think you might be on the right lines.

Charlie

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 34
    Total Downloaded
    4.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Charlie, just out of curiosity, what kind of display is it?
    I've successfully used the 0.96inch displays and they are very good all things considered but I've been tempted to experiment with 2.4 or 3 inch displays.
    John

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi John

I also had great success with the little 0.96" display and decided to go a big bigger. I have one of these on order:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...I9325&_sacat=0

and another one that looks the same as Les's in his Wiki article. I'm not sure if this second one is ILI9325 but it was cheap!

I think I have the software sorted but I won't know until the displays arrive. I have designed a small pcb with a 18F46K22 on it. If it all works out I will write it up in the Wiki. (Les uses his custom pcb and I am slighty confused about the port bit numbers, but it will keep me off the streets for a while).

Apologies for the underlining - I can't get rid of it.

Charlie
    Last edited by joesaliba; 7th September 2019 at 13:11.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 13
    Total Downloaded
    3.14 GB

0 Not allowed!

@ Jonn and Charlie:

I think both of you wpold be better off by using a SPI display. Far fewer pins and in my opinion less hassle. Have a look at ILI9341 and my driver for it. It can be used for ILI9163 also which is often sold on Ebay as ST7735.
    Flosi Guđmundsson
    Reykjavík

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    4.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks Charlie and Flosi,
    I looked at the link and the display connections look complicated, does it have a flexible connector?
    I think SPI would be better for my applications as I seem to always use a lot of ports in my projects I think I'll go that way but will watch your progress with interest Charlie.
    Cheers from Oz
    John

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks Flosi. I will give your suggestion a try as well.

When I compile your ILITest I get the error: Cannot locate include file "18f26k2264MHz.inc"

Charlie

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 147
    Total Downloaded
    1.99 GB

0 Not allowed!

The SPI interfaces to LCDs are OK, and work fine. But they are a lot slower, especially with colour graphic LCDs.

Each pixel on a colour LCD needs 16-bits assigned to it (RGB565), and with SPI that requires 16 clocks per pixel, and there are a whole lot of pixels in a 240x320 display (76800 of them). However, with the parallel interface operating at 8-bits, each pixel only requires 2 clocks, which makes it a whole lot faster. If using a devie with few pins, then an SPI interface is a must, but with large devices is is not recommended because of speed.

Sorry for the anomaly in the code Charlie. I've just taken a look and I removed a #define from the asm listing on later compiler versions. Another ways to only include the Print code when the compiler sees the Print command is to use a development mechanism I created so I could re-write compiler library routines in the BASIC code.

Instead of:
    #ifdef Print#Req
    Use
    #IfSym __Syscom_Glcd_Print_Req_

And instead of:
    #endif
    Use
    #endifSym

The __SysCom_xxxxx constants are produced internally by the compiler whenever one of its commands are used in a program. So a huge library could theoretically exist that replaced most of the compiler's library routines, and only the routines used would get included in the final Asm.

Once I get a bit of time, I'll write an article to give a list of the constants produced by the compiler for use with the #IfSym directive.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 147
    Total Downloaded
    1.99 GB

0 Not allowed!

John.. The best way to get a graphic LCD is to buy one already placed on a PCB. OK, most are for the dreadful Arduino shape, but sometimes they are more universal. i.e. For real world applications. For example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Display-l...cAAOSw6WVdFMa3

Is an ILI9325 display with a DIL header. Not so breadboard friendly, but a simple set of wires or a header made to suit a breadboard is all that is required.

The ILI93XX graphic LCDs are excellent, and there are lots of them that mostly need the initialisation codes changed in a program.

My personal opinion is that with graphic LCDs, the PIC24 or dsPIC devices are far superior because of their architecture and their speed. I wrote a program once using the FAT file system library and the library for the ILI9340 and filled the SD card with .bmp files that were made from an AVI file. I then ran the program and had animation at full speed on the colour LCD. I never got around to analysing and playing an AVI file unfortunately.

I tried exactly the same with an 18F running at 64MHz, but it never reached full speed, no matter what optimisations I wrote.
    Last edited by top204; 7th September 2019 at 11:49.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks Les, I'll make the changes and press onwards. I have ordered a ILI9325 module and designed a pcb for it.

The Chinese company Elecrow make lovely two-sided pcbs for $4.90 for five (although they often supply a few extra). Max size is 100mmx100mm and the quality is superb. I have included an encoder and a flash ram on the board as well. I didn't find the Arduino layout too troublesome and am looking forward to trying it, when we get back from Barcelona in the middle of next week. I have also ordered one of the the spi displays that Flosi suggested.

Charlie

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 13
    Total Downloaded
    3.14 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by charliecoultas View Post
    Thanks Flosi. I will give your suggestion a try as well.

When I compile your ILITest I get the error: Cannot locate include file "18f26k2264MHz.inc"

Charlie
    Further down in the thread this problem is addresed and at the bottom there is an update.
    Flosi Guđmundsson
    Reykjavík

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

0 Not allowed!

Flosi

I can guess what is in the 18F26K2265Mhz file.

Edit: Got it, thanks Flosi.

Charlie
    Last edited by charliecoultas; 7th September 2019 at 14:21.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    4.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Les, thanks for the link to the display. As soon as I get home I'll buy one and use a p24.
    The good thing is I'll be able to experiment on Charlie's coat tails.
    John

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 182
    Total Downloaded
    5.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

Did anyone resolve my confusion with use of # in the source?
    George.

• Attention

Thread Information