Thread: Current thinking on USB bootloader7 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    700.05 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Current thinking on USB bootloader

I have been away from Picin' for a while but now have a small job to do for my friend. He is not local so I need a simple standalone PC application so that I can send him modified hex files for him to use via USB.

I had a look around the forum but most of what I see is quite old so I was wondering if anyone has anything more up to date please?

I haven't decided on the device yet. It's all really basic stuff, pun intended, but I will probably need a 40 / 44 pin one.

Regards, See_Mos
    My RAM is failing

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 95
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Current thinking on USB bootloader

Hi See_Mos

I have bootloader code your welcome to. It runs on later versions of the compiler. Unlike the published version. The PC application of the original on the wiki will be compatible. I will have to dig it out. Someone else has used it recently (1-2 years).

Tim
    Tim

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    700.05 MB

0 Not allowed!

Yes please Tim.

It seems we haven't moved on at all during the last few years and, as Tim pointed out, the old software that he and John supplied no longer compiles. I may have to fire up my spare PC and install an older version of the compiler.

I found my old PICDEM FS USB boards and software so I though I would try with that.

That's when the fun began (NOT)

I installed the Microchip suite from the installation exe but most of the folders were empty so I turned off Bullguard anti virus and made sure Windows Defender was also off. I ran the install again but the same thing happened.

So I downloaded a new copy from the Microchip website. I went to uninstall the newly installed suite but it had not been registered by Windows! Next I deleted the folder and ran a cleanup program. Again, making sure the anti virus was turned off I installed the suite again.

This time I was quick enough to open and view a couple of folders but within about 30 seconds all of the files disappeared and I was left with empty folders again.

To be continued!

Running W7 with all of the latest updates.
    My RAM is failing

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    700.05 MB

0 Not allowed!

I managed to get a bit further. I don't know if it was a W7 or Bullguard problem.

The default installation directory for PICDEM FS USB is C:/Microchip Solutions but changing it to Program files/Microchip solutions appears to have worked.
    My RAM is failing

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    700.05 MB

0 Not allowed!

I also had a copy of Tim's old boot loader from the WIKI. As Tim pointed out is does not compile under later versions of Proton so while waiting for him to find his later version I installed the older version 3.5.2.7 of Proton on a spare PC and used that.

I started testing the code as supplied on an 18F14K50. Next I modified the code for 18F4555 at 20MHz and that worked fine but the code I need to load will not compile on the earlier version of Proton so I ended up using both computers and swapping HEX files around.
    My RAM is failing

10. Attention

Thread Information