Thread: Current thinking on USB bootloader126 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    872.27 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Current thinking on USB bootloader

I have been away from Picin' for a while but now have a small job to do for my friend. He is not local so I need a simple standalone PC application so that I can send him modified hex files for him to use via USB.

I had a look around the forum but most of what I see is quite old so I was wondering if anyone has anything more up to date please?

I haven't decided on the device yet. It's all really basic stuff, pun intended, but I will probably need a 40 / 44 pin one.

Regards, See_Mos
    My RAM is failing

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 95
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Current thinking on USB bootloader

Hi See_Mos

I have bootloader code your welcome to. It runs on later versions of the compiler. Unlike the published version. The PC application of the original on the wiki will be compatible. I will have to dig it out. Someone else has used it recently (1-2 years).

Tim
    Tim

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    872.27 MB

0 Not allowed!

Yes please Tim.

It seems we haven't moved on at all during the last few years and, as Tim pointed out, the old software that he and John supplied no longer compiles. I may have to fire up my spare PC and install an older version of the compiler.

I found my old PICDEM FS USB boards and software so I though I would try with that.

That's when the fun began (NOT)

I installed the Microchip suite from the installation exe but most of the folders were empty so I turned off Bullguard anti virus and made sure Windows Defender was also off. I ran the install again but the same thing happened.

So I downloaded a new copy from the Microchip website. I went to uninstall the newly installed suite but it had not been registered by Windows! Next I deleted the folder and ran a cleanup program. Again, making sure the anti virus was turned off I installed the suite again.

This time I was quick enough to open and view a couple of folders but within about 30 seconds all of the files disappeared and I was left with empty folders again.

To be continued!

Running W7 with all of the latest updates.
    My RAM is failing

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    872.27 MB

0 Not allowed!

I managed to get a bit further. I don't know if it was a W7 or Bullguard problem.

The default installation directory for PICDEM FS USB is C:/Microchip Solutions but changing it to Program files/Microchip solutions appears to have worked.
    My RAM is failing

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    872.27 MB

0 Not allowed!

I also had a copy of Tim's old boot loader from the WIKI. As Tim pointed out is does not compile under later versions of Proton so while waiting for him to find his later version I installed the older version 3.5.2.7 of Proton on a spare PC and used that.

I started testing the code as supplied on an 18F14K50. Next I modified the code for 18F4555 at 20MHz and that worked fine but the code I need to load will not compile on the earlier version of Proton so I ended up using both computers and swapping HEX files around.
    My RAM is failing

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    872.27 MB

0 Not allowed!

Back to this again.

I wanted to move to a 18F25K50 so back on the spare computer running V3.5.2.7. I changed the config, compiled and sorted out the erroneous registers but I am left with one error :-

Cannot find USB18_DEFS.INC file

The file is in the same folder as the other files but neither the Proton USB bootloader.bas or JGBBootDesc.Inc refer to the unfound file.
    Last edited by See_Mos; 16th August 2019 at 15:57.
    My RAM is failing

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Is that the original usb loader?
    Tim

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    872.27 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Tim, I gave up on trying to get the old code working and moved on to converting / reworking your old code under the current version of Proton.

I used parts from some previously working 18F25K50 USB and modified the VID and PID to suit.

I now have code that compiles OK and connects to the PC but will not work with Johns EXE.

I open Johns EXE then apply power to the PIC. The bottom of the EXE flashes the text fields from my INC file then shows 'Device failed to respond'.

I guess it is something I need to add or modify in my INC file but I don't know what the EXE is looking for, it could be something as simple as the correct text or ID fields.
    My RAM is failing

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Steve

Does your PC go dong when you connect? And can be seen under system? if so then we can get the rest going without to much issue. What pic did you use in the end?

Tim
    Tim

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    872.27 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Tim,

It does connect to the PC and John's EXE. I added an LCD to the BL and can see the received commands and the returned $55 by using the write and erase buttons. Erase is too fast to be true and no code is written to the PIC. Using the Run Program button just resets the PIC to the start of the loader code.

It is writing something, or rather clearing the two D7 bytes at $1018 and $101A

I went through Johns descriptor file and modified my own so that all the values are the same but that did not help.
    My RAM is failing

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    872.27 MB

0 Not allowed!

No wonder I am confused, I just found the answer to one of my problems here:-

http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/showthr...d-IDE-Hex-view

And Here:-

http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/showthr..._start_address.

I spent ages trying to find out why the HEX viewer and Johns EXE was showing the wrong start address for the LED demo and could not find any information about declaring the start address in the help file.

Using the USB stack for the bootloader uses up to about $0C80 or with an LCD added to aid debugging $0EC0

If anything less is declared as the starting address the compiler throws up an error about overwriting a previous address, which is good.

My RAM is failing

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    872.27 MB

0 Not allowed!

Well at last I have a working boot loader for the 18F25K50 that will compile under version 3.7.2.1, though it still needs some work.

It's not as neat as Tim's original and I still have to discover why using pointers corrupted the saved data but I now have a workaround.
    My RAM is failing

• Attention

Thread Information