Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    243.13 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Unable to change device using prplus.exe command-line

Also, the .bat file posted by keytapper uses the assembler in "\Microchip\MPASM Suite", which is very likely a different version than that used by the compiler.

On my system the assembler in that folder is MPASM v5.51 from 2013, so you won't be able to use many of the newer devices.

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1
    Total Downloaded
    76.29 MB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by top204 View Post
    So converting the Coff back into asm will produce a less readable version of what is already in the Asm file produced by the compiler!
    The conversion it useful for me, because I need to see the code during the simulation. Otherwise it will be skipped. The basic source still in it, so it's helpful to trace the debugging.
    Regarding the reading of lst files, I got myself doing several times to see how the macro getting expanded correctly or some strange optimizer behavior.
    I'd say that the optimizing is good, but for my expectation some time I can't estimate the right size in program words. Likewise when I want to squeeze a bit more code by the remaining free space, but if I modify the constants, then it might go beyond the flash capacity, which is not predictable for who will use my source.

List files are the very beginning of a compilation representation, as it's designed to stay in a certain width for the printer . Nowadays are not so important, because other program will give a better visualization.

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    76.29 MB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
    in that folder is MPASM v5.51
    Mine is 8.60, but it rather suffice for my purposes. Usually I work for small size programming which may fit into 2 Kwords.

I wonder whether ProtonBasic can go into the MPXlab toolchain. I don't have such bloatware installed.
    Also I'm about less keen that for any program used for programming there should be its own MCU definitions. Imaging a scenario that one install mikroC, mikrobasic, MPXlab and Proton basic, there will be 4 MCU definition lists (all given by Microchip )

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    243.13 MB

0 Not allowed!

Mine is 8.60
    I doubt that. The latest version of mpasm is v5.84 from mplabx 5.20. Perhaps you're referring to MPLAB 8.60, in which case your assembler is very old.

Proton is currently using mpasm 5.77 (which is from mplabx v4.10) so yes it can use the mplabx files.

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    76.29 MB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
    I doubt that. 8<----
    Perhaps you're referring to MPLAB 8.60, in which case your assembler is very old.
    Yeah, sorry my misunderstanding.

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 375
    Given: 133
    Total Downloaded
    1.58 GB

0 Not allowed!

For the original, and useful, MPLAB, you would be better downloading the last version they did. i.e. Version 8.92. It was very good and useful for simulating etc...

I have looked at incorporating Proton into MPLABX, but the time required to do it is dreadful, and the info available to do it is also dreadful. It is written in "ABSOLUTELY" dreadful Java, which is why it is so slow, clunky and amateurish. i.e. Linux based :-) And my knowledge of Java is limited so I simply do not have the time to learn both Java to a particular limit and how to create the plugin for the Netbeans IDE. i.e. MPLABX.

They even re-used a Linux based IDE for their MPLABX IDE (Netbeans), instead of creating a new one. But this is typical of Microchip now unfortunately, they now develop nothing of their own and simply buy up or re-use other companies left-overs. Even their C compilers are bought from Hi-Tech or rip off versions of the GCC compiler, which is supposed to be "fully" open-source. But not Microchip's version :-(

12. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 169
    Total Downloaded
    4.44 GB

0 Not allowed!

Please, please, pretty please, don't waste your time even thinking about Mplabx. Just stick to lean clean Proton. If any one wants sim they can use Proteus (integrating with that, specifically v8 might be another story, as they say around these parts, sin sceal eile).
    George.

14. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    243.13 MB

0 Not allowed!

don't waste your time even thinking about Mplabx
    I second that! I only use it when absolutely forced to, and it's always a struggle.

On the other hand, I find MPLAB 8.92 very useful. It has a simulator included but it doesn't easily support external things like LCDs and such. IMHO using the ICD tools to do in-circuit debugging is much nicer than putting up with all the various issues simulators have.

16. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 169
    Total Downloaded
    4.44 GB

0 Not allowed!

using the ICD tools to do in-circuit debugging is much nicer than putting up with all the various issues simulators have
    In principle I agree but unfortunately you have to run it under mplab whatever. Now if somebody came up with a standalone ICD/debugger that could be made to work with Proton then that would be a different story.
    George.

18. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    76.29 MB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by top204 View Post
    I have looked at incorporating Proton into MPLABX,
    I, too, invite to drop such idea.
    If you plan a development, it's a way better to use FOSS, but not to depend on Microchip software, rebuild over someone else developer.

20. Attention

Thread Information