+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Proton on Arduino hardware .....14 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    931.07 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Proton on Arduino hardware .....

Has it ever been done ?. I am specifically thinking of the UNO and the MEGA. THe question was sparked off by my kids programming project and the thought that a UNO plus a breakout shield would be a very cost effective way of producing the dev board, plus ir makes it infinitely expandable in the future.

ONe possible solution might be to replace the UNO board with one of identical outline, but using a PIc such as the 16F886 or 18F25K22. I think the Xino board tried this twice, once with an onboard FTDI chip and another without it. This board is no longer available, as far as I know.

I am wondering if the ATMEGA328 chip is a PIC in disguise . The pin out looks very close so perhaps a small 28 pin adapter board might work with a 28 pin PIC . Redirect RC6and RC7 physically, or in software. Xtal is in the right place as is MCLR etc. All I need now is a five year old to show me how to do it. Happy Tuesday .......

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 372
    Given: 131
    Total Downloaded
    1.58 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Proton on Arduino hardware .....

I designed the Amicus18 board a few years ago, but it came to nothing. :-( The principle of it was also copied by others, and it had a lack of promotions or incentives etc... Go to the back of the Proton compiler's manual and you will see it. Also in the IDE's Help window are the initial documents I created for the Amicus18 board.

With the newer PIC18FxxK42 devices, the Amicus18 would be excellent because each peripheral can be manipulated to use certain pins, so an Arduino hardware match is possible. They also contain 8K or RAM and many good peripherals. I was also in the process of developing an Amicus24 board using a PIC24, 16-bit device, but circumstances overtook.

It's impossible to compete with the Chinese boards that can be purchased for less than a single microcontroller. That's because Atmel released the licensing of their AVR devices years ago because they are, essentially, 8052 copies. I'm not sure what will happen now that Microchip control the AVR devices, but maybe they cannot revoce leases.
    Last edited by top204; 11th June 2019 at 16:36.

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    931.07 MB

0 Not allowed!

I have been looking at programming in education for over ten years now and at different times a vital piece of the jigsaw puzzle always seem to be missing. For example you can have the perfect software, but to get it accepted nationally in schools it needs so much more. ONe problem was the lack of teachers trained in programming and electronics, so they really needed a 100 module course, with all the work done for them in a way that an adult was not required except for the usual health and safety requirements. To make that possible ...... it had to be impossible for the child to do anything wrong .... polarised plugs and sockets, colour codes, identification, static discharge, over current protection, no mains power supplies and a fool proof way back from any disaster, By that I mean chips in sockets to facilliate fault finding and repair, by unskilled personnel, assembly by un-skiĺed personnel, examination, validation, continuity and the brains to see a future ..... where there isn't one. Apathy rules ....

You mentioned the lack of promotion of products and I guess I only found Proton by accident. IT does not have to be that way, but how many Proton projects do you see on youtube ?. Google Proton and there is very little return. I think Proton is an excellent product that can only be of benefit to the needs of others ...... if they know about it. THe UNICEF survey showed that of 21 leading industrialised nations, UK came bottom in education. We also came bottom in preparing children for the future. STEM is in the doldrums and there is little hope of any change in the future unless we start making changes right now .... and that is not happening. On top of all that I still have not managed to get a bootloader working !. I must remember to take my medication !.

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Total Downloaded
    1.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hello
    I may be a fool to say this but Microchip has the extra money to make the Education / hobby sector a viable growth area, we will need students to learn programming and design to help our future.
    I think Microchip should step up to the plate, and subsidise some of these small Busineses.
    Now that Maker INC. may be going belly up, now is the time.

Gary

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    931.07 MB

0 Not allowed!

I agree Sir, but perhaps salvation needs to because bit closer to home. I set the total cost per child to 10 to make it affordable. Crownhill have done their bit in making the free version available to every child in UK and I salute them. The money for the hardware is available from several sources but gets wasted on other things because the government have no workable long term plan for the future. Yes we can change governments but that does not change the problem. So what would be a good long term plan. FIrst we need to fix our education system, so that it concentrates on skills need to get this country out of trouble. THe shortage of children studying STEM subjects is an acute problem that has not yet been solved and without them there are no happy endings. I would like to see every child in UK with a programmable line following robot, a Proton type development board, Proton+ and a standard 100 module course, available to all schools and individuals on line. This would include on line knowledge tests and invigilation. I would like each child to progress at their own rate and not the rate of the slowest of 40 children in a class room. WE need to get children addicted to science, so much so that they will want to do it in their own time and that means owning their own set of gear.
    IT means that his set up must be capable of working every time without a teacher or adult. IT also means that someone had better get a bootloader working Hi.

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Total Downloaded
    243.13 MB

0 Not allowed!

IT also means that someone had better get a bootloader working
    The UMC bootloader I posted in your "bootloader woes" thread works for me with an 18F25K22, a TTL download cable, and the Proton IDE.

I don't remember you following up with any questions/problems.

12. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    931.07 MB

0 Not allowed!

Good evening Sir,

MY password stopped working for over a week, maybe it was something I said Hi.

I did everything you said. I get a compile OK. ON reset it gives me the start of a green line and things hang up. THere were two types of error warnings. I will set it up again and note exactly what they were tomorrow, guards permitting. Sorry for the delay.

14. Attention

Thread Information