Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 21
    Total Downloaded
    827.23 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Code generated by 3.7.0.8 not fitting in 18F24K22

Hi,
    The code generated by the earlier version(3.6.2.6) used to fit but this one is not.
    Maybe I should revert back.....
    Shantanu

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 173
    Total Downloaded
    4.98 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Code generated by 3.7.0.8 not fitting in 18F24K22

Did you try current version 3.7.1.2?
    George.

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    827.23 MB

0 Not allowed!

Not yet George.......I will soon.
    Shantanu

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 173
    Total Downloaded
    4.98 GB

0 Not allowed!

Is the problem that code is now larger or some disconnect between actual ROM size and Proton usage? If it's just that you're running out of code space, 25K22 and 26K22 seem to be very similar devices (same data sheet) but with more memory of all sorts.
    George.

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    827.23 MB

0 Not allowed!

The basic code is the same. ...but yes, the resources were being stretched to the limit.... 99.5% of the flash was being used!!!
    Maybe 3.7.0.8 was just adding a few more bytes than the earlier version??
    Shantanu

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 95
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

I still have code from 2010 that I use the compiler from then to maintain. Code size is one of the reasons I have to use that original compiler.

It is normal though every compiler has the same issue.
    Tim

12. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    223.72 MB

0 Not allowed!

Or maybe move up to an 18F27K40..... Sounds like code bloat to me...

14. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 287
    Given: 138
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Come on Dave! You've used the compiler since 2004, so you know I am definately not a one for code bloat in what the compiler produces. It actually produces tighter code that all other compilers, even the ones that cost close to a 1000 to rent each year. :-)

I recently changed a program that was originally written in Mikro BASIC by someone, but it had run out of code space on the device so nothing new could be added, so I was asked if I could convert it to Proton so he could modify it himself and have the formatting of the code better laid out. This is no word of a lie.... Once the same program had been converted to Proton 8-bit, the code size was less than half of what the Mikro BASIC produced, and it used a lot less RAM!!! And I was able to add lots more functionality to the program. It still has lots of room left in code memory, even though it has had a whole bunch of add ons included into it.

Each version of the compiler has required changes made to it, which is why there are updates. Sometimes, it is noticed by me that code generated is not quite up to scractch and needs some tweeking to make sure errors are not there. i.e. generic. Some changes are made because users have spotted an anomaly etc...

Also, some code goes through a change to make it more efficient, but this can make it slightly larger, and sometimes slightly smaller. In recent versions, the RAM bank switching has needed changing a little, which has increased the size of code by a few bytes, but not that much. Also, the compiler now adds pin digital code to a program to make all pins digital before the user's program starts. Again, this increases the size a little. It also sets the PPS on device that contain a PPS peripheral, which, again, increases code size a little, but it very convenient, and well worth it. Over time, the small byte increases, and some decreases add up, which is why all code should have in its header text what compiler version was used to write it, and the compiler's entire ProtonIDE folder should be zipped and stored, so it can be used in the future, before updates are done. I personally have nearly 1tb of compiler sources and installer backups, which mean I can go back to any version.

Compiler changes, as Tim stated, are standard with all compilers and it simply evolution.

Shantanu... You didn't say is it is RAM over load or code overload, and by how many? Go through your code and see what is duplicated and make a procedure out of the routines that are called many times.
    Last edited by top204; 18th May 2019 at 12:04.

16. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 1
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

0 Not allowed!

Les,
    Thank you so much for this great Compiler.
    With friendship,
    Teo

18. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    1.38 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hello
    I have always found that when your program is in the "RED" zone a few changes will give you that extra few bytes you need.
    I had another compiler that ate memory like a Pig, went to Proton and wow, no more getting only one page for 1K chips.
    I am not changing compilers, where else can you have access to the person who wrote it (Les) and a Forum full of helpful wonderful users.
    Last week I was working on a part trying to get it to work and most of the stuff was programmed in Arduino I just can't imagine why people put themselfes through that torture.

Many thanks
    Gary

20. Attention

Thread Information