Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    704.64 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Stand alone magnifier

Hi,
    Quite a while ago I think Les/Lester posted a link to a stand alone magnifier for inspecting PCBs and for soldering SMD.
    I wished I had got one then as now I cannot find the post or anything like what it was.
    I think it had 4.3" display and had micrometer adjusters, it possibly had a USB connection to capture images as well.

Regards,
    Bob

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 132
    Total Downloaded
    1.56 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Stand alone magnifier

It was one of our forum friends who first talked about them on the forum, so I bought one of them last year and it is excellent.

I've just looked on ebay and this is the least expensive one direct from China (with a stand):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MUSTOOL-G...frcectupt=true

It is a MUSTOOL G600, but make sure you order one with a stand, unless you can make a stand yourself. But the stand that comes with them is very good and I doubt if they could actually be made DIY for less money.

It is also better if you have an external light shining on the board being worked on, because the direct light down from the microscope causes shadows. A simple high brigthness LED torch or lamp does the trick nicely, and the ones with a flexible neck as excellent so they can be moved around the area of the board being worked on. They are also extremely inexpensive on ebay.
    Last edited by Les; 14th May 2019 at 17:49.
    For more example programs for Proton and Proton24 or updates, please visit: Proton WIKI or Proton Files

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    704.64 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Les,
    Thanks, I have just done a search on ebay for MUSTOOL G600 and saw this which seems to be the same but a lot cheaper
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G600-Port...q4FfglAbq6YxRA

I am not sure I like the flexible mount, this one looks the same but possible a more robust/accurate stand? It is also from Ireland (theoretically) so should not be any import duties.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MUSTOOL-G...frcectupt=true

Or this one which is 1000x magnification which may be more than needed.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MUSTOOL-G700-1000X-4-3-G700-HD-LCD-Monitor-Digital-Video-Microscope-Magnifier/372499620915?hash=item56bab52433:g:F2UAAOSwDElb6T~ 0

What I did notice on the G700 is that it shows 50x & 1000x where the G600 shows 1-600x continuous and focussing 0-40mm where the G600 show as 15 to infinity so the G600 may be better as it is more flexible and I probably would not need anything like 600x magnification anyway.

Regards,
    Bob
    Last edited by RGV250; 14th May 2019 at 21:02.

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    704.64 MB

1 Not allowed!

Hmm, Just noticed the G700 also only has 2MP camera where the G600 has 3.6MP so resolution should be better.

Bob

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    704.64 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi,
    I used the top link and received it in less than a week, it is brilliant. I am now going to order the aluminium stand which should make it even better.
    I tried it on a plane blade I sharpened and was pleased with, looking at it with this I have a long way to go.

Bob

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    704.64 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi,
    Plugged it in to the PC and all I get us USB on the microscope, it is installed correctly in Drivers.

So the question I have is, has anyone used it to capture images directly from the PC and if so, what software do they use.

Regards,
    Bob

12. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.56 GB

0 Not allowed!

As far as I know, the USB was only for charging. LOL It would be great if the video also got sent to a PC, but then you would see blurring when movement happens because USB 2 is actually rather slow.

But the actual magnifier screen is excellent for the price. Try an external light source on the object being examined and you will see an even better image, because the LED shining down causes lots of shadows.
    For more example programs for Proton and Proton24 or updates, please visit: Proton WIKI or Proton Files

14. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 94
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

0 Not allowed!

I purchased one following seeing this thread. Did my first soldering job with it.

My thoughts

1 Overhead illumination is not perfect, so when I find a torch going to try what Les recommended with side illumination.
    2 It magnifies it a lot and you need to get the hang of not looking at the part and instead look at the screen.
    3 Clamp or hold down the board, where as your eyes can follow a moving board as you chase it around your desk with a iron, under the camera not going to work if it moves a mm.

But overall pretty impressed especially for the price.
    Tim

16. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.56 GB

1 Not allowed!

I use an LED lamp that I got from a car boot sale. It has a flexible neck so it can be moved into position without getting in teh way of teh soldering iron, and is bright enough to make teh board clearer. And teh important part.... It was only 1.00 and does the job perfectly, wchich is exatly my way of life and always has been. LOL Blow all the expensive crap with a buzz word name! Exactly the same object can be gotten that does exactly the same task, but doesn't have the buzz name for the sheep to follow. :-)

I saw it many, many times when I was a repair engineer in the (late) 70s, 80s and 90s. TVs would come with a badge for Technics or JVC, but they would have an internal, inexpensive, Ferguson chassis and a standard CRT. The same with videos and hi-fi equipment and satellite receivers! The only difference was the outside badge, and sometimes a slightly different case, and the price doubling for it!!! IMO, Sony was one of teh worst culpritts... Their circuitry was dreadfully designed and the Trinitron Cathode Ray Tubes died in a shorter period of time than other, less expensive, tubes, and it was always the green gun that died first because it was over-driven by the bad design of the phase circuitry that made the green the difference in phase to the red and blue oscillation phase signals, and also the Trinitron tubes were rubbish, but had a buzz word attached!!! Yet they cost 3 times more than the same size television back then. That learned me many lessons in life... But not enough to learn from some of them. :-(

Sorry for my spelling... Since my injury, I do have some problems with writing now, and when I write code, I go through it over and over to make sure it is correct all the time.... But I'm trying my damnest to get through it. :-)
    Last edited by Les; Yesterday at 22:00.

18. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 169
    Total Downloaded
    4.06 GB

0 Not allowed!

Since my injury, I do have some problems with writing now, and when I write code, I go through it over and over to make sure it is correct all the time
    Les, if you ever need proof reading pm me.
    George.

20. Attention

Thread Information