Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 16
    Total Downloaded
    889.46 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Help with ppi and def files for 24FJ256GA704

I have been trying to get this pic working but can't go any further at the moment.

I'd like to use i2c but as soon as I use any i2c commands I get an asm linker error about an undefined reference to i2c1con even though there is no mention of this register in my code or the ppi and def files.

Here is the code I'm using:

Code:
    Device = 24FJ256GA704

Config FSEC = AIVTDIS_OFF, BSEN_OFF, BSS_DISABLED, BWRP_OFF, CSS_DISABLED, CWRP_OFF, GSS_DISABLED, GWRP_OFF
    Config FBSLIM = BSLIM_BSLIM
    Config FSIGN = FNOSC_FRC, IESO_ON, PLLMODE_DISABLED
    Config FOSCSEL = FCKSM_CSDCMD, IOL1WAY_ON, OSCIOFCN_ON, PLLSS_PLL_FRC, POSCMD_NONE, SOSCSEL_ON
    Config FOSC = FWDTEN_OFF, FWPSA_PR32, WDTCLK_LPRC, WDTCMX_WDTCLK, WDTPS_PS32768, WDTWIN_WIN25, WINDIS_OFF
    Config FWDT = BOREN_OFF, DNVPEN_ENABLE, LPCFG_OFF
    Config FPOR = ICS_PGD1, JTAGEN_OFF
    Config FICD = ALTCMPI_DISABLE, ALTI2C1_ALTI2CEN, SOSCHP_ON, TMPRPIN_OFF

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Declare Xtal = 8

'*************************************** Serial Setup **************************************

Declare Hserial_Baud = 57600             
    Declare HRSOut1_Pin = PORTC.8           
    Declare HRSIn1_Pin = PORTC.7  
    PPS_Output(cOut_Pin_RP24, cOut_Fn_U1TX)

'*************************************** I2C Setup **************************************                  
    Declare SDA_Pin PORTB.9
    Declare SCL_Pin PORTB.8
    Declare Hbus_Bitrate 400

Output PORTA
    Output PORTB
    Output PORTC

'*************************************** MAIN *********************************************
    Main:
        DelayMS 1000
        Toggle PORTB.12
        HRSOut "Please help me Les! " 
        HBusOut $FF
    GoTo Main
    Attached are modified versions of the ppi and def files. pic24fj256ga704.zip

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    203.73 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Help with ppi and def files for 24FJ256GA704

Hi,

I think it would be necessary to connect the I2C device to the pins interspersed with something like:

PPS_Input(cIn_Pin_RP8, cIn_Fn_SCK1IN)' SCK1 Clock Input (SCK1IN) Connected to RP8
    PPS_Input(cIn_Pin_RP9, cIn_Fn_SDI1)' SDI1 Data Input (SDI1) Connected to RP9

Regards,
    Gamboa

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    889.46 MB

0 Not allowed!

I'm pretty sure that the i2c pins are fixed and not mappable with PPS.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    203.73 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi,

It's true Simon.

Check the register value: I2CxCONL
    bit 15 I2CEN: I2Cx Enable bit (writable from software only)
    1 = Enables the I2Cx module and configures the SDAx and SCLx pins as serial port pins
    0 = Disables the I2Cx module; all I2C pins are controlled by port functions
    But this value does not think that it alters the result of the assembly process

Regards,
    Gamboa

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    203.73 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Simon,

I have compiled your program and it gives me the same error. I have looked at the .ASM file and found that the following is defined:

.equ I2C1CON1, 0x049a
    .equ I2C1CON1H, 0x049b
    .equ I2C1CONL, 0x049a
    .equ I2C1CONLH, 0x049b
    .equ I2C1CON2, 0x049c
    .equ I2C1CON2H, 0x049d
    .equ I2C1CONH, 0x049c
    .equ I2C1CONHH, 0x049d
    But then below something that is not defined is used:

.global _hbusx__send_nack
    _hbusx__send_nack:
    rcall __hbusx__wait_for_idle_
    bset.w i2c1con,#pp_ackdt
    bset.w i2c1con,#pp_acken
    btsc.w i2c1con,#pp_acken
    bra $ - 2
    return
    I do not know if that could be the problem.

Regards,
    Gamboa

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    889.46 MB

0 Not allowed!

Good thinking Gamboa, I had not thought to look at the asm, not that it means much to me anyway but all the references relating to the i2c operation in the code section use the I2C1CON register.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    203.73 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi,
    At this point I do not know what else can be done
    Regards,
    Gamboa

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    889.46 MB

0 Not allowed!

I think Les is the only one who can fix this now, thanks for your help.

simon

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    889.46 MB

0 Not allowed!

Les

I expect you've seen this or one of the other posts on the problems with this chip.

It would be good to get your opinion on this even if it's not something you want to fix. I understand that you don't have much time and get little financial reward for all the work you put in.

I have no idea how much time and effort would need to go into supporting this chip family, maybe it's a lot of work and not something you want to do?

It would be good to know what your thoughts are.

Regards
    Simon

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    3.72 GB

0 Not allowed!

I think the problem is that on some devices that have multiple registers associated with something the first register is terminated with a number and on other devices it is not, i.e.
    Device 1: is I2C1CON & I2C1CON2
    Device 2: is I2C1CON1 & I2C1CON2

and this can throw off the compiler.

If you open the PPI file, find the register definition for I2CON1 and add the line...
    I2C1CON EQU 0x49A
    that gives the compile the alternative name I2C1CON for the I2C1CON1 register which appear to resolves the problem at least in so far as the program compiles (compiler version 3.7.0.6), although the does not necessarily mean it will do what you want.
    Note: I also had to replace the the PPS_output command with RPOR12 = $0003 which I believe does the same thing. The syntax of the PPR_Output command looks right to me but I as have never used it before I am unsure as to why the compiler does not like it, however if are using a newer compiler version that may not be necessary.
    Last edited by Stephen Moss; 10th May 2019 at 10:13.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    889.46 MB

0 Not allowed!

If you open the PPI file, find the register definition for I2CON1 and add the line...
    I2C1CON EQU 0x49A
    That does allow it to compile ok but looking at the ASM the i2c commands all use the I2C1CON register when this should be I2C1CONL.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    3.72 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonJA View Post
    That does allow it to compile ok but looking at the ASM the i2c commands all use the I2C1CON register when this should be I2C1CONL.
    In the PPI file the register names I2C1CON (added to solve compile issue), I2C1CON1 and I2C1CONL (both pre-existing) are just different user friendly aliases for the same register (all have the same address). Therefore I believe the data should be going to the correct address/register regardless of which of the three names the compiler uses, or am I missing something?

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    889.46 MB

0 Not allowed!

Stephen I think you are right! It seems to be working.

That was not how I thought the compiler worked.

Thanks

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    889.46 MB

0 Not allowed!

I have got I2C working now but hit another snag.

For testing i2c I'm using an SSD1306 display as it would be nice to get that working.

Looking at the i2c data on a logic analyser all the commands are ok but the font data is all 0's so nothing is displayed.

Storing the data in flash memory is not working, looking at the datasheet it seems that the memory organisation is different from previous pics I have used so I will look into that...

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    889.46 MB

0 Not allowed!

I did some tests using Dim As Code, reading and writing and that works ok.

There is something else with my code for the SSD1306 that doesn't run on this chip, not quite sure what yet but hope to get to the bottom of it soon.

• Attention

Thread Information