Thread: PicKit4, cosa ne pensate?263 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 5
    Total Downloaded
    1.16 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default PicKit4, cosa ne pensate?

I have changed my PC, and this new PC with Windows 10 does not have a parallel port.

I used a MeLabs programmer that was great.

I have to buy a PIC programmer via USB and I am undecided whether to buy the PicKi2 or the PicKit3 or the last PicKit4.

Which programmer do you suggest?

Leo

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 182
    Total Downloaded
    5.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: PicKit4, cosa ne pensate?

IIWY I'd buy a PicKit2 clone (yes I know some people complain that clones are unreliable but not in my experience) and if I wanted to use the PIC devices not supported by the microchip versions of software, I would buy PicKit2Plus. Of course you could always get an add-on parallel card.
    George.

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.16 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi George,

in reality the PicKit2 of Microchip seems to be best to program the FLASH and the PIC family !6F and 24F.

Also is easy to found it on ebay.

Leo

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 305
    Given: 145
    Total Downloaded
    1.99 GB

0 Not allowed!

I used the melabs Epic programmer from the start in the late 90s, and when I wrote my book about the PICBASIC Pro compiler in 2000, I created my own hardware, but used the software for the Epic. When parallel ports were sadly removed from PCs, I had become so used to the Epic software I bought the melabs U2 programmer. This is the USB version and it is faultless! I've used mine everyday for more than 10 years now without any problems.

The PICkit programmers are all so dreadful, because each new device has to have new firmware loaded into the programmer everytime. This is annoyingly slow and I have bricked 3 PICkits when the flash on the internal microcontroller has given up because I constantly use different devices for development.
    Last edited by top204; 5th May 2019 at 12:50.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 12
    Total Downloaded
    3.12 GB

0 Not allowed!

It is only Pickit 3 that has to reload the firmware constantly. Pickit 3 was supposed to be improvement over Pickit 2 but it isnt. Ih ave two Pickit 2. I have once had to reprogram one with te other after bricking.
    Flosi Guğmundsson
    Reykjavík

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 182
    Total Downloaded
    5.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

t is only Pickit 3 that has to reload the firmware constantly
    Thats not really fair to PK3, it's MpLabX that is doing that. If you run Pk3 stand-alone with either GUI or command line (or even PicKit3Plus) firmware will not be messed with.
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.16 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: PicKit4, cosa ne pensate? PicKit4 What do you think?

Given the real difficulties we encounter in programming the PICs, it would be a good idea to generate an USB PIC programmer in PDS, so that we ourselves keep it updated with the new PICs.

I believe it would be a much appreciated product.

What do you think?

Leo

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 16
    Total Downloaded
    966.48 MB

0 Not allowed!

I would get a Pickit 4, it is about the same price as a Pickit 3.

I got it when it first came out and the device support was pretty bad but now it's much better.

You can use it with MPLB IPE which it not great but also really not that bad.

If you want to use older pics then there's probably not much reason to get the Pickit 4 but future chips might not be supported.

The Pickit 4 is also quite fast and so far has been reliable.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.16 GB

0 Not allowed!

Dear Simon.

The PicKit4 can be used connected directly to the PDS IDE na dused without the MPLAB IDE?

Leo

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    966.48 MB

0 Not allowed!

The MPLAM IPE is Microchip programming software, separate from the IDE.

As far as I know it can't be used from within PDS but it is only an extra mouse click or two.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.16 GB

0 Not allowed!

Simon, you suggest to buy the PicKit4?

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    408.14 MB

0 Not allowed!

As far as I know it can't be used from within PDS
    There's a command line utility for the PK4 (IPECMD), so if you can get a PK3 to work with PDS I would think you should be able to get the PK4 working as well.

FWIW the PK3 is available for half price right now on MicrochipDirect (last month they had the ICD3 half off).

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    966.48 MB

0 Not allowed!

Simon, you suggest to buy the PicKit4?
    Well I'm happy with it, I also have a 2 and 3, I moved on from the 2 as it didn't support the pic's I wanted to use, I now use the 4 simply because it's quicker than the 3.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.16 GB

0 Not allowed!

I have buy the PICkit4.

61 Euro at RS-components!

With the MPLAB X IPE it works and program the 18F4550.

One big boring difference between the PicKit3 program is the missing autoupdate of the exe, in other word, after compiling, you need to select the exe file and then push the program.
    This operation is really boring because you need to do after every compilation.

Any suggestion to avoid this steps and use the PICkit4 as the PICkit3?

Leo

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.16 GB

0 Not allowed!

I would say that I solved my trouble.

Help me this link:
    http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/content.php/4640-Re-New-PICkit-4-available

a
    nd the right parameter line for me is:

/P$target-device$ /F"$hex-filename$" /TPPK4 /M /OL

Many thanks Frizie

Leo

• Attention

Thread Information