Thread: 18F25K22 Bootloader .....18 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    926.70 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default 18F25K22 Bootloader .....

I am doing a kids project for autism awareness. I would like to know where I can buy an 18F25K22 bootloader from.

Mechanique are not responding to my emails.

Had a stroke and not touched Proton for seven years so am out of date.

Thank you .. John Kent

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 22
    Total Downloaded
    2.80 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: 18F25K22 Bootloader .....

Hi John,

Welcome back! PDS has undergone considerable development in recent years - I'm sure you're going to be impressed with the latest offerings.

To answer your post, have you seen this?

http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/vbdownl...downloadid=427

Regards,

Bob

Last edited by Mellbreak; 1st May 2019 at 16:01.

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    926.70 MB

0 Not allowed!

THank you very much for your reply. OK I see the 1825K22 file, have unzipped it and got the .def file. SOrry for my ignorance but what do I do with it. THanking you in advance ....... jk

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    628.34 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi,
    Have a look here as it is the amicus18 bootloader
    http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/vbdownl...&downloadid=86

I forgot to mention, you load the program as normal and the use USB to download from PDS.

Have you looked at Amicus18 board as that should come with pre programmed chip.

Bob
    Last edited by RGV250; 1st May 2019 at 19:12.

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    926.70 MB

0 Not allowed!

I am in this section because I have brain damage and the retentivity of a pork chop. FOr the kids project board I need a simple, no nonsense boot loader, which I had hoped that I could buy off the shelf.

Seven years ago I was using thr DS30 and although it wasn't 'transparent' it did the job up until it stopped working. I guess a lot of my problems were due to the decision that a complete programming out fit needed to be made available either free to the children or at least under ten pounds, so that meant I had to cheat a little.. At the same time I was looking at a lot of related problems, like the breakdown in family relationships, rejection of grandparents and a lack of parental interest in a childs school work. All this influence the final design. The development bozrd cost under ten pounds, a serial LCD cost 2.40 and hundreds of pounds worth of plug in modules for the course, had to cost nothing !. That was the easy part.

The compiler was made free when Crownhill kindly agreed i add the 18F25K22 to the free Amicus compiler. Download cables were made from 99p Nokia CA-42 cables and so on.
    Today I want to resurrect the project as a part of a nation wide autism awareness
    campaign.

MY problem is I cannot get a boot loader working. FIrst I need to buy a suitable single chip bootloader that will work. I have made up four new USB to TTL download cables from CA-42 phone cables and they pass the loop-back test on the Ucon terminal.

I have nothing else connected to RC6 and 7. However when I plug them into the dev board they partially power up the board and the power Led lights up dimly.

One possibility was the cable driver but they pass the loop back test.

On checking back to the old boards it does not seem to be a signal inversion problem.

I noted that both the DS30 bootloader and the Ucon terminal have both changed since I last used them. DS30 will now not get as far as the DOS screen on a download.

The 18F25K22's I have tested, have the traffic light programs which run OK and will act as an indicator if a different program does download.

I have taken a look at Alberto's universal bootloader but I am afraid my damaged brain cannot handle it.

I am wondering if there are 18F25K22 bootloader files in Proton for the Microcode bootloader 8n Proton ?.

I did try an FTDI cable but it also lights up the dev board.

I have 1K limiting resistors in series with RC.6 and 7.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you ....... Francis.
    Last edited by moonshadow; 4th May 2019 at 09:25.

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    628.34 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi,
    A couple of questions.
    You have mentioned you are looking for 18F25K22 bootloader and Amicus18.
    The link I posted is for Amicus18 bootloader but that says it is 18F25K20, I am not sure if it is compatible.
    Do you have a programmer as you will need one to get the bootloader in to the device before you can use the bootloader.

Bob

12. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    926.70 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your reply. To keep the cost down for a child, i went for the free Amicus compiler but I have noted that the 18F25K22 is now included in the free Proton compiler too.

Yes I do have a Pickit 2 and for my sins a Pickit 3 in on its way as well.

The reason I decided to go for the 'K22 was that many sensors etc that I was conversant with were only available for 5 volts..

I have noted that the CA-42 cable only has a 3.3 volt output, but worked OK in the past. I was not sure of which was Rx and Tx on the cables because there is no standard colour code, so I made the programming socket on the dev board reversible, but it still lights up the board both ways even though the output has a pull down resistor on it. The Rc.6 and 7 connections on the board programming input go directly to the pins on the chip via 1K resistors, and nothing else is connected to them.

Most perplexing for my two remaining brain cells Hi.

Francis.

14. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    628.34 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi,
    I did find this regards CA-42 pinouts but I am assuming you have already cut the cable and thrown away the connector.
    https://www.webfoobar.com/index.php/node/6 scroll down a bit.

Also the 1k resistors might be an issue, if you look in PDS, Help, Documents, Using Amicus18 Hardware with Proton page 15 has the complete Amicus18 circuit and shows 100 ohm resistors.

The link I posted earlier is the bootloader for Amicus18 which uses the 18F25K20, I would try to get it everything working with the correct chip first and then try it with the K22. You may need to use a level shifter as it is 5V.

Regards,
    Bob

16. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    926.70 MB

1 Not allowed!

Hi Bob,

Have reduced the 1k TX and Rx series resistors to 100 ohms, symptoms remain. Reloaded cable driver and now get the first part of the download DOS screen in DS30, but reset does not allow it to go to the second part. Reset does reset the old program in the PIC and that continues to run Ok.

Tried a USB to TTL adaptor, but hangs up on reset.

At this stage I would like to change the type of bootloader because there are several things that can cause DS30 to hang up, I can list them later. Would ideally like to buy a Microcode files for the 18F25K22, but Mechanique are not responding to my emails. Would you know if such a bootloader exists ?.. Have not been able to find any info on Tim's bootloader yet. Still trying to get my head around the universal one. In the mean time I will play with my flying saucer detector ..... I need abducting !.

18. Attention

Thread Information