Thread: Changing EDA software557 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 96
    Total Downloaded
    1.37 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Changing EDA software

I forever have used Labcenter Proteus. But my licence is old and limited to 500 nets. I need 600 on a current job so my options are

1 Buy a newer version 295 (absolute basic)
    2 Learn something like KiCad

If I stick with Proteus
    Pros
    I know it
    Good library
    Cons
    Money
    No 3D on basic version

Kicad
    Pros
    Free
    Includes 3D
    Cons
    Do not know it
    Lib on the version I have is limited eg no entry for some of the basic Pic's I use

Any thoughts on the way to go?
    Tim

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 33
    Total Downloaded
    6.75 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Changing EDA software

Have you considered EAGLE?
    Regards

Joseph

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    1.54 GB

0 Not allowed!

Tim Have a look at Diptrace, It's very good and easy to use.
    Regards
    Craig

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    3.87 GB

0 Not allowed!

I tried KiCAD as for some reason it was being recommened to students at work and I did not like it, I did not like the workflow/interface and thought parts library was poor but that does not mean you will think the same.

You may want to look at Design Spark PCB (by Spaceclaim/RS), it is free, the library is not bad and it is clearly based on EasyPC which I used for years. Provided you do not need to do buried and blind via's it is do what you want as I think it is unlimited in regards to numer of nodes/pads. I have made a prototyping PCB with 1400 pads on it.

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    276.92 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Tim,

I use Altium. It is an expensive tool, but it has a low cost called Circuit Studio.
    https://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-73745
    Regards,
    Gamboa

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 56
    Total Downloaded
    3.96 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hello Tim,

If you need it only for this board, maybe I can help you, I use Proteus Platinum version. No problem to pull some tracks.

Ricardo Urio

12. Attention

Henk57

0 Not allowed!

Hello Tim,

If you can, please call by phone Proteus support/sales and ask for advise or discount weeks etc.
    They can 'posible' make an offer for you.

But don't blame if the discount is ended, or later this year etc.

Henk.

14. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.37 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi, Thanks everyone for your input

I have now ruled out KiCad as I just could not get on with it.

Ricardo that really nice of you to offer. The thing is that the pcb is a pain, not because it hard but because it has 96 sensors and to label that many to the bus's takes ages. I have attached the layout I was working on in Alibre (3D cad). The other thing is that I have to play with the layout.

On Proteus, I have got my money from it. Last update though I paid for was in 2011 so since I could not live without the VSM side I really should support them. They still answer my questions even though its so old.

I'm currently trying easyeda the schematic capture is "easy" to use, not messed around with the PCB side much yet.

I'm in a position now where I have little time to do PCB stuff but am held back in the progress of the company (me) as I have products that need to be prototyped, tested and brought to market. The market has changed now that I need to move forward or will be overtaken. So perhaps spending 300 is worth it for software that these days I will not have the time to make full use of.

Again thanks for the input.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PCB layout.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	3657
    Tim

16. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.96 GB

0 Not allowed!

Tim,

Maybe we are doing the same thing. My project is a level sensor with 112 phototransistors PT19

Name:	placa.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	3660

18. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.37 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Ricardo

Yup exactly same including the opto sensor. Hmm your not working for a rival company are you

I see you are using 2 resistors per opto they must be tiny 0405? What wiring did you decide on around the opto?

And did you tie all the Z outputs together?

Below is what I came up with.
    Tim

Name:	Ir sense.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	3661
    Tim

20. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.37 GB

0 Not allowed!

Ref EDA

Just spoken to Labcenter and its not good.

I have to either pay 700+ to update my licence to the latest version inc VSM support or 295 for the PCB stuff and lose my VSM. I was hoping to be able to keep using my old 7.1 version for VSM stuff and use the 295 basic PCB stuff for larger PCBs.

That's not an option it seems I cannot have an old version and a new version on the same machine.

Perhaps I need to look at the 295 version running in a sand box.

Hmm
    Tim

22. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.96 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Tim,

Not only opto sensor, but the same multiplexer as well. I went to the door to see if you was behind it :-) I used 0201 resistors, as I placed 1 more resistor to limit current from opto. The PCB is double faced, with some T8 tracks and V20 vias. I sent project to PCBWay last Friday. Saturday my 5 boards were ready to delivery together my SMD Stencil for USD 49 + freight !!! It's just a test prototype for me, if all work fine, I will need 300 opto sensors for each of 18 Graduated Cylinders that we install in every equipment. Give me your email and I will send to you the complete project with gerbers. Maybe it can be usefull for you too.

Ricardo Urio

24. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 183
    Total Downloaded
    5.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

That's not an option it seems I cannot have an old version and a new version on the same machine.
    I have 7.10 sp0 and 8.8 sp1 running on the same machine both under x86 and x64. I even have them both running at the same time, although I'm not sure thats a great idea.
    George.

26. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.37 GB

0 Not allowed!

What I can do is swap licenses. When running a VSM swap back to my old licence and run in 7.1. It is just a min in licence manager.
    Tim

28. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 173
    Total Downloaded
    2.08 GB

0 Not allowed!

No wonder there are so many pirated versions of Proteus to easily get a hold of out there! That company has always suffered from the modern day "greed" factor. :-(

They are in the mindset of "Let's have a few users paying far too much, instead of lots and lots of users paying a fair price", which unfortunately seems to be the mantra of busines now. :-(

It's not even that good IMO! The interface is dreadful and the devices they are now placing in it are not fully compatible and have quite a few peripherals missing, and they are catering strongly for the Arduino sheep, who get everything for nothing or next to nothing, so they are virtually "ALL" using the pirated versions of Proteus.

As soon as one of the other companies start to bring their schematic software into the spice world properly, they are in for a big fall, but "the man with one eye if the king of the blind", when thre is nothing else to compete, but just look at Microsoft, Nokia, Blackberry, and now Apple!

30. Attention

Thread Information