Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 294
    Given: 141
    Total Downloaded
    1.68 GB

2 Not allowed!

Default Preview of updated Proton Compiler Manual

I've updated the Proton compiler's manual to incorporate the procedures, and I've also reformatted the manual into sections.

I've uploaded the manual's PDF to my google drive so you can have a sneak preview.

Proton Compiler Manual - Ver 3.7.0.0
    Last edited by top204; 11th February 2019 at 16:46.

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 1
    Total Downloaded
    6.95 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Preview of updated Proton Compiler Manual

Hi Les,
    An excellent job!
    Please tell me, does the current compiler support procedures?
    Thanks a lot,
    Teo

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 181
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

Les, I wonder if the man hugging the IC is not a tad amateurish, which is great for sales to peeps like me, the tinkering folk, but if I was still working (thank god those days are behind me) and I put in a proposal to buy Prorton, I'd be realy worried that my boss might see the cover. Just me, no critisism intended.
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    1.38 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hello Les
    Proton, the Professional grade programming platform for the "new way".

more good added to Proton, fantastic!

Gary

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 1
    Total Downloaded
    2.75 GB

0 Not allowed!

Perhaps we should have 2 Brand styles for the Product, Hobby ( as per current logo ) and Professional ( Branded to look more like Visual Studio, blue and rather bland! )
    JohnB

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 294
    Given: 141
    Total Downloaded
    1.68 GB

0 Not allowed!

But John, George.... The compiler is not selling so does it matter what is on the front of it?

I've had 0 from sales of the compiler for almost 2 years!

I'm doing it for the love of the compiler and my respect for its many, many users, and the character on the front is the character I am using in the book I'm writing for Proton and Proton24. It's captain Proton and he will be at the beginning of each chapter being Cold for temperature monitoring projects, looking at his watch for timing projects, sitting at a synth for the interfaces to the "many" 80s and 90s synth chips I have, and sitting at drums for the drum synth circuits using the good old analogue drum simulators, but controlled by the microcontroller for rythms etc, looking like a zombie for the halloween projects etc...

The characters were drawn by my lovely niece Amie, and they are what I asked her to draw, then I scanned them and put them in photoshop and made them coloured and outlined etc... It shows that Proton is "fun" to use, which seems to be the thing these days. Heck, if I could, I'd animate the character for youtube as well, but that's out of my league. :-(

I'm also setting up and creating an electronics kit for young and older adults based on Proton and a good, inexpensive, PIC24 device, that is based upon a technique used in the early 70s for creating the re-usable circuits on a PCB. The circuits will be both analogue and digital with all sorts of fun projects that are easy to build and develop. This type of item also seems to be the "thing" these days, and I'd love to put it on KickStarter etc, but there are so many rip-off merchants on those sites that steal peoples ideas because they have the money to do it, but no creativity of there own. Also, copyrights mean nothing now, unless you have lots and lots of money to take them to court! And copyrights do not seem to exist at all with some of the Asian countries.

So, I'm doing it bit by bit when the money is available to me to get parts for the prototype. I'm also using the 3D printer for some of the component carriers, because getting them built elsewhere is way too expensive.
    Last edited by top204; 11th February 2019 at 22:34.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 34
    Total Downloaded
    4.53 GB

0 Not allowed!

G'day Les,
    I've read through the new sections and the addition of procedures will really help me tidy up my code. As you may remember I've often wished for a procedural approach. I know subroutines can 'sort of' do the same but nowhere near as sweetly as this new approach.
    The new strategy also provides a function like usage and that is a major plus for me. I'll be rewriting at least one of my recent programs not because it doesn't work well but because I like code to be and look systematic (the Delphi in me). Who knows, there's probably a left over subroutine or two that won't be compiled now.
    Looking forward to the new compiler and making a payment to the Les treasury.
    John

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Total Downloaded
    1.38 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hello
    I went through all the pages of the manual and I think the new format is great, although I now feel like I have to quit my old way of programming and try the new stuff, makes me feel like a old stick in the mud, so many changes, for the old brain.

Gary

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 4
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

But John, George.... The compiler is not selling so does it matter what is on the front of it?

I've had 0 from sales of the compiler for almost 2 years!
    Les, I've PM'd you. Please respond.
    Lester Wilson
    ---------------------------------
    Crownhill Associates Limited
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    Tel: +44 1353 749990
    Fax: +44 1353 749991
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 12
    Total Downloaded
    5.03 GB

0 Not allowed!

I can't wait to use the new features described in the new manual and as John wrote:

"Looking forward to the new compiler and making a payment to the Les treasury."

Johan

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

Les, I've PM'd you. Please respond.
    I think this was intended for Les.
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

Les, I feel for you, it's realy hard when nobody loves your baby. I been on projects that generated absolutly no interest and it still stings 20 years later. At least you know that a group of people use your product and give a shit about you personally.

The kit for kids sound like a great idea, it's the way of the world, everything in one easy purchase. Sorry for my unthinking remarks.
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 8
    Total Downloaded
    795.49 MB

0 Not allowed!

Les,

We have 2 3D printers at work. Airwolf Axiom, the other is a Dremel. Each has its issue. Send me your 3D files and I'll have them printed for you. I can send them back Global Mail at no cost to you. It won't be speedy, but it will be cheap. Also, give me a list of the parts you need for development, and I'll send you all I can from all of our overrun stock. I only have a dsPIC33 MCU but I have many 18FxxK22 varieties, and few 16F88's And tons of other parts left over from STAR TREK. I'd be very happy to donate them to the cause, resistors, LEDs, MCUs 7seg numbers, transistor LDO regulators etc, etc.

I don't care what others think. I love your baby. It's never let me down. Ever. Its the best programming tool I've ever used.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 8
    Total Downloaded
    795.49 MB

0 Not allowed!

I love that drawing because its something young people would find friendly and unintimidating. It reminds me of the Forrest Mims books that taught me electronics when I was a kid. It also reminds me of John Muir and Peter Aschwanden's work in HOW TO KEEP YOUR VOLKSWAGEN ALIVE which taught me auto mechanics. The fun and funky artwork of these books made the impossible seem possible and encouraged me to try.

Anyway, if its only going to be a Labor of Love, it might as well be a work of art. I encourage you to use more illustrations like this, and make them look fun and funny. As now that you have added Procedures, real quality libraries are possible, so that creating a project in near english language, the inspiration for basic Basic, should make programming Pics to do simple tasks should be really easy, certainly easier than Pseudo C of Arduino - which started as, and still is, a "non-profit" group dedicated to teach programming.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Total Downloaded
    1.11 GB

0 Not allowed!

Well Done Les the manual looks absolutely brilliant.
    kind Regards
    Craig

• Attention

Thread Information