Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 31
    Total Downloaded
    2.92 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Preview of updated Proton Compiler Manual

Les has a location where contributions can be made by existing users and we should all contribute if we want the new version. It's only fair.
    Although we should wait for advice from Les about this - he shouldn't be shy about suggesting an amount that reflects his time and will pay some bills.

One of the problems we face with attracting new people is that the spammers simply overload the user request system. We need to keep them away because they do damage and we need to attract new genuine people who want to learn about Proton and be supported by this forum. There are hundreds waiting to be approved and I like to be fair about it but how do I identify them? It's easy if they have an obvious URL. I can also check what other information they have in the 'enrolment form'. If they don't have a reasonable amount about themselves I decide they are a spammer. But it would take dozens of hours a week to do this stuff properly. Are there any of the other moderators that can help clear the list?
    John

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 4
    Total Downloaded
    854.77 MB

0 Not allowed!

I just need to correct something here:

Moderation of new registrations is semi-automated, sorry John, I did not advsie you about that. - The moderation queue is regularly cleansed , new users are regularly added to the forum.

Yes ist's a pain to do it manually, both John and myself will do that from time to time. But the process that has been in place for some time now, works well in removing the spammers - hence the absense of spam posts on the forum

John i'll PM you an update.
    Lester Wilson
    ---------------------------------
    Crownhill Associates Limited
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    Tel: +44 1353 749990
    Fax: +44 1353 749991
    lester@crownhill.co.uk
    ----------------------------------

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    2.92 GB

1 Not allowed!

Thanks Lester,
    It's been a few weeks since I did anything and to be honest I was feeling a bit guilty about it.
    Glad you've got an automatic system up and running. It certainly seems to be working well.
    John

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    2.92 GB

0 Not allowed!

Les, while I'm going through the manual I came across that for arrays it is preferable that they be placed in the first bank0. How does this work if they are defined as a parameter in a procedure that may be loaded in an include or anywhere after the main variables are declared?
    Does it create a bank issue?
    I'm sure you've worked around this. Just curious.
    Cheers
    John

Edit: I think the answer is that for 18F and advanced 16F it doesn't matter.
    Last edited by John Drew; 19th February 2019 at 06:50.

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 356
    Given: 129
    Total Downloaded
    1.53 GB

0 Not allowed!

The array section of the manual was written when the standard 14-bit core devices were dominant, and they have dreadfully fragmented RAM, and an index system that was out of the ark, even back then. :-)

For later devices such as the 18F and the later enhanced 14-bit core devices, it really does not matter where arrays or strings are stored because they mainly use indexing to access them, and this is linear and RAM bankless.
    For more example programs for Proton and Proton24 or updates, please visit: Proton WIKI or Proton Files

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    2.92 GB

1 Not allowed!

Thought that might be it. I'll go back to that section, a couple of added words may clarify. The example you used was a 16F877 so it was a very old statement.
    Just got home from a meeting. I'm on my phone so can't check the manual. I remember reading somewhere that Procedures could not be used in all situations, maybe that applies to all old 16F series.
    It's 11 and time for the cot.
    John

12. Attention

Thread Information