Thread: Cread Word unexpected results156 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 4
    Total Downloaded
    544.85 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Cread Word unexpected results

I'm trying to use the CRead command, but getting some odd results on an Enhanced 14bit core.

Below is the data I'm expecting (Data line), and the data I'm getting (Read line).

Data: 0000,0000,3180,28B8,3181,295A,01AF,01B0,01B1,01B1
    Read: 0000,0000,3880,01B8,1A81,2F5A,30AF,31B0,31B1,25B1

I'm reading the data in to a WORD variable.
    Code:
      Dim TempW As Word
      Dim Temp As Byte
      Dim BufferAddr As Word

For Temp=0 To 31
         TempW=CRead BufferAddr
         Inc BufferAddr
         HRSOut Hex4 TempW
         HRSOut ","
      Next
    What I'm seeing is that the lower byte is read correctly. While the upper byte appears to be the lower byte of the next memory location with the upper two bits cleared.

Data: 0000,0000,3180,28B8,3181,295A,01AF,01B0,01B1,01B1
    Read: 0000,0000,3880,01B8,1A81,2F5A,30AF,31B0,31B1,25B1

Take the third value, 0x3880. The 80 is correct, and as you can see the lower byte matches everywhere. The upper byte is 38, while the next byte in my data has a value of B8. Clear bits 6 and 7, then you have 38. The same applies across the whole dataset.

The CWrite command clearly states that when supplied with a word value it'll write only 14bits of that word (understandable). Nothing talks about this on the CRead or CRead16 commands, and there is no explanation of how to read the upper 6 bits of a 14 bit word. Yet the behaviour looks to be as though it is trying to read the upper byte, as it is stripping off the upper two bits in the process.

Any ideas what is going on here?

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 375
    Given: 133
    Total Downloaded
    1.58 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Cread Word unexpected results

What device is it?

Now, virtually all devices are different from each other in the way they operate, even when they are from the same family!

You are also reading 16-bits from a Cdata table, but only incrementing by 1. A word variable takes 2 bytes. Try Cread16, which is the main command to use now, the same as Cread8 and Cread32.
    Last edited by top204; 10th February 2019 at 17:32.

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    544.85 MB

0 Not allowed!

It is a 16F15325 that i'm running this code on. Sorry, should have said!

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.58 GB

0 Not allowed!

I've done a bit of testing and Cread is working as expected on enhanced 14-bit core devices. This is one of the things they all have in common, thankfully. :-)

Code:
        Device = 16F1939
        Declare Xtal = 32

Declare Hserial1_Baud = 9600

Dim MyFlash As Code = As Word $0000, $0000, $3180, $28B8, $3181, $295A, $01AF, $01B0, $01B1, $01B1

Dim TempW As Word
        Dim Temp As Byte
        Dim BufferAddr As Word

BufferAddr = AddressOf(MyFlash)
        For Temp = 0 To  31 
            TempW = CRead BufferAddr
            BufferAddr = BufferAddr + 2
            HRSOut Hex4 TempW
            HRSOut ","
        Next
    You would be better off using Cread16, as below:

Code:
        Dim MyWord As Word
        Dim bIndex As Byte

For bIndex = 0 To  9 
            MyWord = CRead16 MyFlash[bIndex]
            HRSOut IHex4 MyWord, ", "   
        Next 
    It is much more efficient in code use, and is easier to manipulate. Cread was an early manipulator of flash (code) memory, because, back then, most devices could not access their flash memory directly. Then as time progressed and all devices can read their flash, I thought of adding a better mechanism for it. i.e. Cread8, Cread16, and CRead32. And Cread64 on Proton24 to access Double size values (64-bit). Therre are also the cPtr8, cPtr16 and cPtr32 commands which work purely by reference to a flash memory address. I will be adding a hint to the compiler that Cread on its own, as well as Cdata are legacy commands and are not recommended.

Also remember to indicate in the data table that the values are all Words, otherwise 8-bit values mixed with 16-bit values and 32-bit values will all jumble around, because the compiler then takes the actual "value" between the commas, and places them in flash memory based upon their bit-size. i.e. values below or equal to $FF will take 1 byte (8-bits), values between $0100 to $FFFF will take 2 bytes (16-bits), and values between $010000 to $FFFFFFFF will take 4 bytes (32-bits), and so will floating point values because in Proton, floats are 32-bit.
    Last edited by top204; 10th February 2019 at 18:08.

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    544.85 MB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks - but I'm not trying to read data as such, I'm trying to read the program itself. I want to access the full 14bit values. My understanding is that if I use a word directive then it will store 8 bits in two different code memory locations, rather than the 14bits in a single code memory location.

My example was showing the expected 14bit values. I was showing a memory dump taken from my programmer vs what I was getting using the CRead command.

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.58 GB

0 Not allowed!

You cannot use the compiler's Cread commands for that type of code memory reading because the compiler splits 16-bit values into 2 bytes and the Cread commands know this and manipulate themselves for it. Also, data is stored differently for data tables, to the actual mnemonic code data

You will need to create a routine to read the mnemonic code data from flash memory. For example, on an enhanced 14-bit core device 16F1939, the routine below works:

Code:
         Dim wEEDAT As EEDATL.Word
        Dim wEEADR As EEADRL.Word

Dim MyWord As Word
        Dim wIndex As Word

wEEADR = 0
        For wIndex = 0 To 9
            Clear EECON1bits_CFGS     ' Do not select Configuration Space
            Set  EECON1bits_EEPGD     ' Select Program Memory
            Set EECON1bits_RD         ' Initiate read
            Nop                       ' \ Required after a read setup
            Nop                       ' /
            MyWord = wEEDAT           ' Read from code memory   
            Swap MyWord.Byte0, MyWord.Byte1 ' Swap the bytes around
            Inc wEEADR                ' Increment the code memory address
            HRSOut Hex4 MyWord, ","
        Next
    For the 16F15325 device, it manipulates the NVM SFRs. See page 159 of the data sheet.

I don't have the device setup for testing, but it should look something like this:

Code:
         Dim wNVMADR As NVMADRL.Word
        Dim wNVMDAT As NVMDAT.Word

Dim MyWord As Word
        Dim wIndex As Word

wNVMADR = 0                         ' Start at address 0
        For wIndex = 0 To 9
            Clear NVMCON1bits_NVMREGS       ' Do not select Configuration Space
            Set NVMCON1bits_RD              ' Initiate read
            MyWord = wNVMDAT                ' Read from code memory   
            Swap MyWord.Byte0, MyWord.Byte1 ' Swap the bytes around
            Inc wNVMADR                     ' Increment the code memory address
            HRSOut Hex4 MyWord, ","
        Next
    See.... Even those devices are different, yet they are the same family. Accessing standard data in flash memory is different and uses an offset added to the address and the FSR0L\H or FSR1L\H SFRs and indirect access.

What has happened to these code windows? They are dreadful now. In the window that I am creating the code they are perfectly aligned and set to Courier New, but when viewed, the alignment of the commands and comments is all over the place, and extra spaces are added all over, and the font is certainly not Courier New, which is why I think it is not aligning! It never used to be like this. It looks more like a messy Linux font that a neat Windows font?
    Last edited by top204; 10th February 2019 at 22:39.

12. Attention

Thread Information