+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Someone using HUB75 RGB LED modules ??257 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3
    Total Downloaded
    820.58 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Someone using HUB75 RGB LED modules ??

Dear ones:
    We are looking to drive at least 8 modules with RGB LED matrix with a PIC. I see that is difficcult at a reasonable refresh rate.
    Also see that some other compiler provider are using an SPI board with a pre-programmed uC to control the matrix of LED, so any idea on how to control this board also can be of help.

I was an old member, but always found the answers or solution in the forum, so no need to post until now (ecofor, You are member of Proton BASIC community web site for 3194 day(s) now, Ha!!).

All the knowledge and help of this forum was very important for our developments!!

Thank you in advance!!!

Best regards,
    Cristián.

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    801.38 MB

1 Not allowed!

Default Re: Someone using HUB75 RGB LED modules ??

Hi,
    Are you looking at having the 8 to make one large display or 8 individual ones?, if individual could you use a small PIC to control the display and a larger one sending the information to each, possibly with standard messages stored in the one controlling the display.

Regards,
    Bob

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    820.58 MB

0 Not allowed!

Bob:
    Yes, is to make a larger display. I get a functional HUB12 implementation long ago (is similar with only 1 color but able to drive up to two colors, with green and red you get yellow), but the multiplexing is very critical, so I have very little time in between to send the changes to the display and get noticeable flickering with more than one module.

BTW, great idea to use two PICS for different purposes !! PIC24 has plenty of space for fonts and images and I can send the frames ready... still see difficult to get more than 2 modules fluently with scrolling text.

Thank you for the idea and concern!!!
    Best regards,
    Cristián.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 289
    Given: 139
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

1 Not allowed!

Take a look at the APA102 RGBW LEDs with their internal addressable SPI interface. I wrote some code for them a while back for someone, and they are excellent! They are fast, bright, and relatively easy to implement. Their on-board PWM also works at 19KHz, so it does not interfere with audio around them, unlike the slower WS2812 devices.

Making an actual matrix from them would also be a very straightforward mechanism based upon a Dword array to map the LED column/row and colour of each, then a simple calculation to see what LED is accessed and what colour it needs to be. Then a refresh of the matrix to match the screen array. And all that would be required is Data, Clock, +5 Volts and Gnd pins to the matrix board! The matrix board can be any size, as long as there is enough RAM in the microcontroller to keep the 32-bit data array that represents the screen. i.e. (X Res x Y Res) x 4 bytes.

I did something similar to that mechanism years ago when I did the Game of Life on an LED matrix display.

The least expensive way to get the APA102 LEDS is to buy them in their flexible strips, then simply cut the strip to what amount of LEDs are required. Their are some companies out there that are charging a fortune for them, but they are very inexpensive when bought in the strips and from the right place.
    Last edited by top204; 6th February 2019 at 12:57.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    820.58 MB

0 Not allowed!

Thank you Les!!!

Yes, I was already using your library for WS2812 RGB LED matrix panels. They work great!!

We use it on Industrial LED panels they are expensive to repair, so we pretend to use this modules very common in China (very cheap, mounted by magnets so we can replace on the field one module, etc.).

We use it as giant LCD text displays, very useful on industrial areas, here one of this panels (still with WS2812), the bottom lin is a scrolling text:

photo_2019-02-06_09-51-41.jpg

We made some tests with AP102 and their SPI interface (better than the proprietary protyocol used by the WS2812), but as they fail a lot (any LED SMD fail a lot on industrial areas, because of change on temperature, humidity and also wind blowing between big entrances which produces mechanical bending of some boards), we require an easy to replace on the field modules ... and cheap, Ha!!

We made the same panels with the Chinese modules using a Beaglebone Black as controller and work great ... but we prefer to have this on a PIC24 ... probable will be possible with DMA access to the memory (direct writing to memory using DMA from serial port, so minimal processor use required) ...

Thank you for the idea ... and thank you for all your experimenting with new devices, in all the time we use Proton we follow all your suggestions!!! And probably use almost on any possible situation, Ha!!! In my 40 years in electronics, almost 20 years using Basic on microcontrollers, half of it with Proton Basic, Ha!!

Thank you again Les, your work inspire me so many times!!!
    As I indicate before, almost no need to post questions because almos all our need were already covered by you or someone on this very useful Forum, the best I have found !!!

Best regards,
    Cristián.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 289
    Given: 139
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

1 Not allowed!

Thank you Christian, your words mean a lot to me. :-)

I've never come across HUB75 displays. They look wonderful, and the way they require external PWM, triggers all sorts of ideas. :-)

A dsPIC device should be able to interface to these displays without many problems, as they work at over 70 MIPs, and have the RAM available for 12-bit or more colours. Also, their interrupt mechanism is extremely flexible, so an SPI slave could also, probably, be made as well to control the display.

• Attention

Thread Information