+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 31
    Total Downloaded
    2.92 GB

1 Not allowed!

Default Re: Tesla acquires Maxwell for dry electrode technology?

I enjoyed and learned from your input Michael. The big deal is range and cost. I noticed in a Youtube video that the person from USA was quoting 5c/kWh for electricity costs. In Australia we're paying between 30-40c although night tariff, when you're likely to be charging, is less. I have solar panels but they just reduce the bill and last quarter still left me with a $500 account for a period when we used little heating and cooling. Perhaps I should turn off all those lights that wink at me at night.

We have a dilemma. We have oodles of coal but it's a major source of greenhouse gases, we have lots of gas which we export for a song but leaves insufficient for domestic use. Energy is in a mess and we have a Federal Government that doesn't believe mankind contributes to climate change. Fortunately my State has supported wind and solar and last year almost 40% was generated renewably. I have a Power Point file from engineers who were involved in the largest battery in the world. I'll see if I can get permission to put it up here. The battery has already saved consumers millions of dollars as a result of lower bids on the Australian Energy Market. The battery can provide energy in <10ms and can stabilise the grid, especially if an interconnector goes down. Anyone with a technical bent will be interested in how it works. Have a look at this site : https://www.aemo.com.au/Electricity/...patch-overview

I know you're right about hydrogen, the laws of thermodynamics mean the numbers don't add up. At my age, the car I'm currently buying will probably be my last so I won't get to enjoy the zip and quiet of electric.
    John

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 40
    Total Downloaded
    1.31 GB

1 Not allowed!

A few interesting Tesla EV (electric vehicle) facts:

Tesla EV's are the safest vehicles ever made.

Watch this Tesla family car Model S P100D Ludicrous edge out a Lamborghini in the quarter mile drag strip race thanks in part to instant torq from its battery giving it true street cred:

Tesla EV's provide some of the best mileage ratings depending on how they are driven of course.
    This 2019 mileage chart lists the model 3 achieving 123 equivalent combined city/highway miles per gallon or 52.29 kilometers per liter.

Tesla's autonomous driving capability is among the best although at present is limited mainly to highway driving.
    An interesting feature is its capability to bounce a radar signal under the car in front to detect the next cars sudden stop and braking an instant sooner.

Tesla's becoming affordable as the basic model 3 should sell at $35,000 by the end of 2019 which in the US is an average price point.

Tesla recently (Feb 2019) launched its model 3 in Europe.

Tesla's upcoming semi truck EV will be guaranteed to 1 million miles or 1,609,344 kilometers.

EV's will soon be the majority of year 2019 new vehicles sold in Norway thanks in part to substantial subsidies as well as clean hydro electric power and generally shorter range trips within the border.

As you can see Elon Musk of Tesla is pushing the envelope much like Steve Jobs did bringing in cell phone tech to the forefront.
    Interestingly many of Tesla's patents are shared as more EV's on the road raise all the boats so to speak in the transition to electric vehicles.

Norm

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 4
    Total Downloaded
    468.57 MB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by John Drew View Post
    I noticed in a Youtube video that the person from USA was quoting 5c/kWh for electricity costs. In Australia we're paying between 30-40c although night tariff, when you're likely to be charging, is less. I have solar panels but they just reduce the bill and last quarter still left me with a $500 account for a period when we used little heating and cooling. Perhaps I should turn off all those lights that wink at me at night.
    The USA has some pretty cheap electric, in part because a lot of it is cheap coal. For comparison the UK price varies, but sits about 14p/kWh for an any-time tariff (about 25c AUS), although we have timed tariffs that can drop to about 6p/kWh in exchange for a higher daytime rate, and there are some brown-power tariffs at about 11p/kWh if you shop around a bit.

I've heard much about the prices in Australia and the leadership there. It is pretty sad to see a country that is so sunny not make better use of solar. There are some pretty cool projects though, I'm pretty sure one I read about was in Australia where they used mirrors arranged to track the sun and point it at a single spot. That way it heats up, generating steam which powers a turbine. The beauty of this is that it actually keeps going for quite a few hours after the sun sets. Given that a lot of energy is used after sunset it is a great way to avoid extra storage provision.

The big battery, is that the Tesla power pack battery array that they had the whole, we will get it installed in 100 days or it is free thing? That was a pretty impressive installation.

The driving an EV is one thing I didn't touch on - but it is really fun. I had to drive a small petrol car when I visited Iceland, going from an EV to a 1.1l petrol car is a shocker. Gone is instant response, replaced by - guess I'll drop down a gear to make it up this hill. EVs typically have single speed gear boxes as they don't stall. If you've never driven one, it is well worth getting a go in one.

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 4
    Total Downloaded
    468.57 MB

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by normnet View Post
    A few interesting Tesla EV (electric vehicle) facts:
    Tesla really are a big driving force in showing that EVs aren't a milk float. People are really amazed when they first get in one and floor it....

What i think is also really exciting is the other types of vehicle that are becoming available. The Rivian pick-up looks really interesting, not that we have many pick-ups in the UK.... but they're huge in the USA. So an electric pick-up with good range is really quite something.

The motor efficiency is also quite something. When you look at the Tesla Model S it would get roughly 3 miles per kWh. The model 3 switched from AC induction motors to permanent magnet switched reluctance motors, which they've made hugely more efficient giving closer to 4 miles per kWh in the real world. It is quite stark the efficiency difference between the iPace which fares worse than the Tesla Model X, and the Kona EV which is pretty much on a par with the model 3 for efficiency.

Anyone who hasn't tried driving an EV, you really need to.... they're a lot of fun. Tesla do free test drives, so take full advantage of them even if you can't afford one! :P

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 40
    Total Downloaded
    1.31 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by mjturner View Post
    The USA has some pretty cheap electric, in part because a lot of it is cheap coal...
    Coal use in the USA has seen a sharp decline in recent years caused less expensive natural gas made possible by fracking tech of which at this point is mainly successful in the USA.

Norm

10. Attention

Thread Information