Thread: spi interface to HD44780 LCD display258 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 39
    Total Downloaded
    3.36 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default spi interface to HD44780 LCD display

Not very long ago I saw an article by Les about driving a standard HD44780 LCD via spi.
    Could somebody kindly point me in the right direction, I can't find it.

I want to drive a 40x2 LCD but I can't afford 6 port-pins. SPI is the way I have to go. Thanks.
    Charlie

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 173
    Total Downloaded
    5.06 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: spi interface to HD44780 LCD display

it's not SPI but this may help.
    George.

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 53
    Total Downloaded
    2.16 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Charlie-
    It's not from Les, but will this help? http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/showthr...fa-numeric-LCD

-Rick

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.36 GB

0 Not allowed!

George, Rick

Thanks, you've set me in the right direction. I'll get one of the hardware backpacks and take it from there.

Charlie

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 289
    Given: 139
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default LCD05 I2C interface to HD44780 LCD display

Here's some code I wrote to control an LCD using I2C. It's for an LCD05 backpack, and replaces the compiler's Print, Print At, Cursor and Cls commands.

Create an include file named "LCD05.inc" from the code below:
    Code:
    $ifndef __LCD05_INC_
    $define __LCD05_INC_
    '
    '   /\\\\\\\\\
    '  /\\\///////\\\
    '  \/\\\     \/\\\                                                 /\\\          /\\\
    '   \/\\\\\\\\\\\/        /\\\\\     /\\\\\\\\\\     /\\\\\\\\   /\\\\\\\\\\\  /\\\\\\\\\\\  /\\\\\\\\\
    '    \/\\\//////\\\      /\\\///\\\  \/\\\//////    /\\\/////\\\ \////\\\////  \////\\\////  \////////\\\
    '     \/\\\    \//\\\    /\\\  \//\\\ \/\\\\\\\\\\  /\\\\\\\\\\\     \/\\\         \/\\\        /\\\\\\\\\\
    '      \/\\\     \//\\\  \//\\\  /\\\  \////////\\\ \//\\///////      \/\\\ /\\     \/\\\ /\\   /\\\/////\\\
    '       \/\\\      \//\\\  \///\\\\\/    /\\\\\\\\\\  \//\\\\\\\\\\    \//\\\\\      \//\\\\\   \//\\\\\\\\/\\
    '        \///        \///     \/////     \//////////    \//////////      \/////        \/////     \////////\//
    '                                  Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!
    '
    ' LCD05 I2C LCD library that replaces the compiler's library routines, so the commands Print, Prnt At, Cls, and Cursor can be used
    ' Written for the Proton BASIC compiler by Les Johnson
    '
        #Disable Print, Cls, Cursor                                 ' Disable the compiler's library routines for Cls, Cursor, and Print
    '
    ' LCD pinouts
    '
    '                 |                  Link
    '    Vcc (5V)O----|                  O--O <----Open = I2C
    '    SDA/TX  O----|                            Closed = Serial
    '    SCL/RX  O----|       Keypad Connections
    '    GND     O----|_____________________________
    '                        | | | | | | |
    '                        O O O O O O O
    '                        | | | | | | -------- Row 2 Input
    '                        | | | | | ---------- Row 3 Input
    '                        | | | | ------------ Column 3 Output
    '                        | | | -------------- Row 4 Input
    '                        | | ---------------- Column 1 Output
    '                        | ------------------ Row 1 Input
    '                        -------------------- Column 2 Output
    '
    $define cLCD_Address $C6                        ' The I2C display is located on the I2C bus at an address of $C6
    '
    ' Create LCD I2C registers
    '
    $define cFIFO_Free_Bytes   0                    ' Number of free bytes in FIFO buffer (read)
    $define cCommand_Reg       0                    ' Command register
    $define cKeypad_State_Low  1                    ' Keypad state Low byte
    $define cKeypad_State_High 2                    ' Keypad state High byte
    $define cVersion           3                    ' read the firmware version
    '
    ' The LCD05 has four registers, three being read only information registers.
    ' Register 0 is a dual purpose register, when written, it is the command register where all of the instructions from the commands section should be sent.
    ' When read it returns the number of free bytes in the FIFO buffer.
    '
    ' Create the LCD commands for the I2C interface controller
    '
    $define cNull                    0              ' Ignored as a no operation
    $define cCursor_Home             1              ' Sets the cursor to the home position (top left)
    $define cSet_CursorXY            2              ' (1-80 or 32) Cursor to a position specified by the next byte, where 1 is the top left and 80/32 is the bottom right
    $define cSet_Cursor              3              ' (Line, Column) Sets cursor using two bytes, where first byte is the line and the second byte is the column
    $define cHide_Cursor             4              ' Stops the position cursor from appearing on the display
    $define cShow_Underline_Curs     5              ' Changes the cursor to the underline type
    $define cShow_Blinking_Curs      6              ' Changes the cursor to the blinking type
    $define cBackspace               8              ' Deletes the preceding character from the current position on the display
    $define cHor_Tab                 9              ' (by tab set) Moves the current position across by the tab space set by command 18 (default tab space 4)
    $define cSmart_Ln_Fd             10             ' Moves the cursor down one line to the position beneath in the same column
    $define cVert_Tab                11             ' Moves the cursor up one line to the position above in the same column
    $define cClear_Screen            12             ' Clears the screen and sets cursor to the home position
    '$define cCR                     13            ' Moves the cursor to the start of the next line
    '$define cFIFO_Status             14            ' Results in the module returning its FIFO status, the number of free bytes from 0 to 100
    '$define cSoftware_Version        15            ' Module returns a single byte software version
    '$define cKeypad_Status           16            ' Returns keypad input status, two bytes returned with the low byte first (see keypad section)
    $define cClear_Column            17             ' Clears the contents of the current column and moves cursor right by one column
    $define cTab_Set                 18             ' Sets the required tab size, the following byte can be a size of between 1 and 10
    $define cBacklight_On            19             ' Turns the backlight of the LCD05 on
    $define cBacklight_Off           20             ' Turns the backlight of the LCD05 off (default)
    $define cDisable_Start_Mess      21             ' Disables the display of setup information at power up
    $define cEnable_Start_Mess       22             ' Enables the display of setup information at power up
    $define cSave_As_StartUp_Screen  23             ' Saves current screen and displays it on power up
    $define cSet_Display_Type        24             ' Sets which display is connected to the LCD05 (see changing display type below)
    $define cChange_Address          25             ' First byte of sequence to change LCD05 address (see changing address)
    $define cCustom_UDG              27             ' Allows 8 custom chars to be built. See custom char generator below
    $define cDble_Key_Scan_Rate      28             ' Increases the frequency of the keypad scan to 20hz
    $define cNorm_Key_Scan_Rate      29             ' Returns to the default keypad scan frequency of 10hz
    $define cContrast_Set            30             ' Byte following this command will be contrast level (0-255)
    $define cBrightness_Set          31             ' Byte following this command will be brightness level (0-255)
    '
    ' 32-255 ASCII_Chars Writes ASCII chars straight to the display
    '
    ' Changing address:
    '
    ' The LCD05 software has the facility to easily change the module's address on the I2C bus system in the range of 0xC6 - 0xCE ( even numbers only ).
    ' This is achieved by sending the following sequence:
    '
    '   $19       (1st byte of change address command)
    '   $A0       (2nd byte of change address command)
    '   $AA       (3rd byte of change address command)
    '   $A5       (4th byte of change address command)
    '   $C6, $C8, $CA, $CC or $CE ( New address to map LCD05 at)
    '
    ' The Current address is displayed every time the module is first powered as a default, this may be changed to no display or custom display by user command.
    '
    ' Changing display type .
    ' Because there are four variations of the LCD display that the LCD05 connects to a software command can be used to switch between them.
    ' Firstly a command of 24 must be issued, this is then followed by the display type attached:
    ' LCD style  Byte
    ' 20x4 Green  3
    ' 20x4 Blue   4
    ' 16x2 Green  5
    ' 16x2 Blue   6
    '
    $define cGreen_20x4 3
    $define cBlue_20x4  4
    $define cGreen_16x2 5
    $define cBlue_16x2  6
    '
    ' Create a compiler system variable
    '
        Dim GEN As Byte System
    '
    ' Create user variables
    '
        Dim LCD05_bCharOut As Byte System' Holds the byte to send to the LCD
        Dim LCD05_bXpos    As Byte System' Holds the X position on the LCD
        Dim LCD05_bYpos    As Byte System' Holds the Y position (line) on the LCD

'---------------------------------------------------------------------------
        GoTo _I2C_LCD_Main_                                             ' Jump over the routines to the main

' Send a single Command to the I2C controller
    ' Input     : pCommand holds the command to send
    ' Output    : None
    ' Notes     : None
    '
    $define LCD_Command(pCommand)  I2COut LCD_SDA_Pin, LCD_SCL_Pin, cLCD_Address, cCommand_Reg, [pCommand]

' Send a multiple Command to the I2C controller
    ' Input     : pCommand holds the command to send
    '           : pParam holds the parameter to send
    '
    $define LCD_SendCommand(pCommand, pParam)  I2COut LCD_SDA_Pin, LCD_SCL_Pin, cLCD_Address, cCommand_Reg, [pCommand, pParam]

' Alter the contrast of the LCD's display
    ' Input     : pContrast holds the contrast value (0 = low, 255 = high)
    '
    $define LCD_Contrast(pContrast)  I2COut LCD_SDA_Pin, LCD_SCL_Pin, cLCD_Address, cCommand_Reg, [cContrast_Set, pContrast]

' Alter the brightness of the LCD's backlight
    ' Input     : pBrightness holds the contrast value (0 = Low, 255 = High)
    '           : pParam holds the parameter to send
    '
    $define LCD_Brightness(pBrightness)  I2COut LCD_SDA_Pin, LCD_SCL_Pin, cLCD_Address, cCommand_Reg, [cBrightness_Set, pBrightness]

' Extinguish the back light
    ' Input     : None
    '
    $define LCD_Backlight_Off() LCD_Brightness(0)

' Illuminate the back light
    '
    $define LCD_Backlight_On() LCD_Brightness(255)

' Create a custom character for the LCD
    ' Input     : pCharNum holds the character to alter (128 to 135)
    '           : pByte1 to pByte7 hold the bytes to place in the custom character
    '
    $define LCD_UDG(pCharNum, pByte0, pByte1, pByte2, pByte3, pByte4, pByte5, pByte6, pByte7) '
        I2COut LCD_SDA_Pin, LCD_SCL_Pin, cLCD_Address, cCommand_Reg, [cCustom_UDG, pCharNum, pByte0, pByte1, pByte2, pByte3, pByte4, pByte5, pByte6, pByte7]

' Send a byte to the Hitachi LCD
    ' Input     : WREG holds the byte to send
    ' Output    : WREG is still holding the original byte sent
    '
    Asm-
    Print
    EndAsm
    #ifSym __Syscom_ALCD_PRINT_Req_                                     ' Has the Print command been in the program?
        LCD05_bCharOut = WREG                                           ' Yes. So save WREG
        I2COut LCD_SDA_Pin, LCD_SCL_Pin, cLCD_Address, 0, [LCD05_bCharOut]
        WREG = LCD05_bCharOut                                           ' Restore WREG
        Return
    #endIfSym

' Move the cursor on the LCD
    ' Input     : GEN = Line
    '           : WREG = Xpos
    '
    Asm-
    LCD@Cur
    Cursor
    EndAsm
    #ifSym __Syscom_ALCD_CURSOR_Req_            ' Has the Cursor command been in the program?
        LCD05_bXpos = WREG                      ' Yes. So transfer the Xpos into LCD05_bXpos
        LCD05_bYpos = GEN                       ' Transfer the Ypos into GEN
        I2COut LCD_SDA_Pin, LCD_SCL_Pin, cLCD_Address, cCommand_Reg, [cSet_Cursor, LCD05_bYpos, LCD05_bXpos]
        Return
    #endIfSym

' Clear the LCD
    ' Notes     : Also disables the cursor and turns on the backlight
    '
    Asm-
    LCD@Cls
    EndAsm
    #ifSym __Syscom_ALCD_CLS_Req_               ' Has the Cls command been in the program?
        Clear LCD05_bXpos                       ' Yes. So Clear the X position
        Clear LCD05_bYpos                       ' Clear the Y position
        I2COut LCD_SDA_Pin, LCD_SCL_Pin, cLCD_Address, cCommand_Reg, [cClear_Screen]
        Return
    #endIfSym

' Setup the I2C interface and the LCD'
    ' Notes     : Disables the cursor and turns on the backlight
    '
    $define I2C_LCD_Setup() GoSub _I2C_LCD_Setup

_I2C_LCD_Setup:
        DelayMS 100
        Clear LCD05_bXpos
        Clear LCD05_bYpos
        I2COut LCD_SDA_Pin, LCD_SCL_Pin, cLCD_Address, cCommand_Reg, [cClear_Screen, cHide_Cursor, cBacklight_On]
        Return

' Setup the LCD
    '
    _I2C_LCD_Main_:

I2C_LCD_Setup()

$endif      ' __LCD05_INC_
    Here's a demo program that uses the above include file:

Code:
    '
    '   /\\\\\\\\\
    '  /\\\///////\\\
    '  \/\\\     \/\\\                                                 /\\\          /\\\
    '   \/\\\\\\\\\\\/        /\\\\\     /\\\\\\\\\\     /\\\\\\\\   /\\\\\\\\\\\  /\\\\\\\\\\\  /\\\\\\\\\
    '    \/\\\//////\\\      /\\\///\\\  \/\\\//////    /\\\/////\\\ \////\\\////  \////\\\////  \////////\\\
    '     \/\\\    \//\\\    /\\\  \//\\\ \/\\\\\\\\\\  /\\\\\\\\\\\     \/\\\         \/\\\        /\\\\\\\\\\
    '      \/\\\     \//\\\  \//\\\  /\\\  \////////\\\ \//\\///////      \/\\\ /\\     \/\\\ /\\   /\\\/////\\\
    '       \/\\\      \//\\\  \///\\\\\/    /\\\\\\\\\\  \//\\\\\\\\\\    \//\\\\\      \//\\\\\   \//\\\\\\\\/\\
    '        \///        \///     \/////     \//////////    \//////////      \/////        \/////     \////////\//
    '                                  Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!
    '
    ' I2C LCD library that re-creates the compiler's commands for an LCD05 interface
    ' Written for the Proton BASIC compiler by Les Johnson
    '
        Device = 18F25K22                           ' Choose the device, can be 18F or enhanced 14-bit core types
        Declare Xtal = 16                           ' Choose the oscillator used
    '
    ' Set the pins used by the LCD's I2C interface
    ' These must be placed before the include file, so the routines can pick them up
    '
        $define LCD_SCL_Pin PORTC.3                 ' Set the pin to use for SCL to the controller
        $define LCD_SDA_Pin PORTC.4                 ' Set the pin to use for SDA to the controller

Include "LCD05.inc"                         ' Load the LCD05 I2C routines into the program

Dim MyDword As Dword
        Dim X_Position As Byte
        Dim Y_Position As Byte

Main:
    '
    ' Draw a frame around the LCD
    '
        Cls
        For X_Position = 1 To 20
            Print At 1, X_Position, "*"
            DelayMS 10
        Next
        For Y_Position = 1 To 4
            Print At Y_Position, 20, "*"
            DelayMS 10
        Next
        For X_Position = 20 To 1 Step -1
            Print At 4, X_Position, "*"
            DelayMS 10
        Next
        For Y_Position = 4 To 1 Step -1
            Print At Y_Position, 1, "*"
            DelayMS 10
        Next
        DelayMS 500
    '
    ' Display some texts and values
    '
        Cls
        Print At 1,1, "Decimal Test"

For MyDword = 0 To $FFFFFF
            Print At 2,2, "Byte  = ", Dec MyDword.Byte0, "    "
            Print At 3,2, "Word  = ", Dec MyDword.Word0, "    "
            Print At 4,2, "Dword = ", Dec MyDword, "    "
            DelayMS 10
        Next

Stop
    Last edited by top204; 4th February 2019 at 21:44.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.36 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: LCD05 I2C interface to HD44780 LCD display

Thanks Les, that's what I remembered seeing.

Would this work on a P24 chip?
    Charlie
    Last edited by charliecoultas; 5th February 2019 at 09:29.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 289
    Given: 139
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

The code for the inc file will not work directly with a PIC24 device, because it is matching the low level of what the compiler does. A PIC24 device has different SFRs, so it does not match perfectly, but the principle stays the same.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    872.27 MB

0 Not allowed!

If speed isn't important Charlie could revert to the old RS232 which only needs one pin
    My RAM is failing

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.36 GB

0 Not allowed!

Yes that's an option. Speed is fairly important but it's not essential. Thanks.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.36 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks Les.

• Attention

Thread Information