+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1
    Total Downloaded
    91.44 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Migrating a monitored alarm from copper to GSM.

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Hi David
    It is only a pleasure, They all work similarly. U-Blox is great and has fantastic tools Available.
    What Is very Interesting which I am using in a new project is the "PROANT ONBOARD SMD Antenna's",
    which comes out on some of their modules but, can be bought separately from RS, Digikey etc.
    It Gives the ability to create a very compact design, I also allow for a Standard SMA connector Footprint
    on my PCB if I want to use an external antennae instead!
    http://www.proant.se/en/catalog/embe...tenna-cid9.htm

Good Luck With the Project

Kind Regards

Craig
    Hi Craig,
    Thanks for the link. Looks similar to what we used to call an inverted F antenna which could be pressed metal or done in copper on the pcb. I think the stamped metal is more accurate and uses air dielectric whereas pcb antennas can be affected by etching and more critically by FR4 dielectric variation.
    Adding the SMA footprint gives you total choice from a wide range of options. For my one-off application I don't have any size constraints and may look at putting a chassis mount SMA on the alarm case itself.

Cheers,
    David

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    91.44 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi,
    Just a quick update on migrating the alarm via a 2G modem. (SIM800L v2.2 EVB)
    The modem arrived today and I found out that Vodafone are still operating 2G data and voice services here in NZ and all other carriers have dropped it. Apparently there is still a lot of older M2M modems around and also early, basic phones for the elderly (big buttons, preset calling) which aren't catered for in smart phones.

I used a terminal program (RealTerm) and could quickly get the SMS texts working to my cell phone but phone calls were very hit and miss. Only about 1 in 8 attempts resulted in a call with all the others just returning an "OK" and then sitting doing nothing for about 12 seconds and then finally returning "No carrier".
    I'd like to crack the phone call side of it but may have to be content to use texts. If anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate your help.
    I have code written already but obviously something is wrong with my understanding of calls so I won't be connecting the micro until I've got it reliably working with the terminal program as it's much more convenient at this time.

Best regards,
    David

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    91.44 MB

0 Not allowed!

Well I 've just found that by raising the modem antenna off the floor the phone calls are totally reliable. During the early part of the day the SMS texts were solid and reliable but phone calls were very iffy. Since lifting the antenna I've had 4/4 calls go through. Higher bandwidth requirement? Anyway - it's looking good and I'm starting to annoy certain people with the phones going off so I'll cool it for the day.
    I now know a lot more than 48 hours ago but I do wish I had bought a 3G modem.

Regards to all,
    David

6. Attention

Thread Information