HAs anyone used the TSL1401CL linear sensor?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 95
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default HAs anyone used the TSL1401CL linear sensor?

Hello people,

Has anyone used the TSL1401CL linear sensor? It is most likely found in an a unit like this:-

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image sensor.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	3615

Reading the PDF it seems you control it using the clock to change charge time and then clock through the pixels using the A/D to read the gray value.
    But not 100% sure I you have to read different blocks at different times.

So thought see if someone else has used one and can give hints.

Thanks

Tim
    Tim

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 146
    Total Downloaded
    1.99 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: HAs anyone used the TSL1401CL linear sensor?

If you can send me one Tim, I'll create a true library for you, using the new procedures, because they will be ready in a few days. :-) It looks straightforward enough to interface with, but the timings seems to be a bit of a sticky point with them, so I cannot do it fully from the datasheet.

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks Les

I have one on order when it arrives I will send it to you and get one another one for myself.

Tim
    Tim

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 15
    Total Downloaded
    434.52 MB

0 Not allowed!

Cute sensor ! And a nice range to near IR as well. With a few reference coloured LED's you may even detect colours, or with a filter read only certain colours.

I had a brief look at the data sheet, it seems you can read each of the 128 element's values which generate a voltage from the light reflecting off a surface, so you should be able to read a barcode for instance.
    Last edited by fanie; 17th January 2019 at 00:38.
    Fanie

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

My use is to try and measure the height of water to 1 mm accuracy. It relies on refraction and how light passing through a tube gets magnified. So the small strip in the middle gets enlarged.

For fun here is a pic of the said effect. I'm now doubting my plan will work though when you place the camera in front of the tube the angles mean that you do not get the 1mm res on the top bottom sections.

The meniscus line is very variable also. It bulges up and down depending on many factors.

Name:	water in tube (2).jpg
Views:	16
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	3617
    Tim

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 15
    Total Downloaded
    434.52 MB

0 Not allowed!

Tim, sometimes I worry about you. You do the weirdest projects :-)

That tube has a relative large diameter, is it possible to float a subject with colour on it that would give a better definition for your sensor output ?

And besides, what difference is it going to make if you put half a mm more water in the whiskey ? The Scots spend years getting the water out and you guys put it right back in.
    Fanie

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

A float would be the ideal solution and on a part of the same project I do have a float. It uses hall effect sensors and a magnet in the float. But at this exact location in the design I am up against a patent application where they list float as the main claim.

So far I have tried
    Capacitive sensor
    Pressure

I have looked at time of flight sensors and a few others.

One of the major issues is the surface tension of the water. If you extend the area and hence reduce the accuracy requirements you have to reduce the pipe dia which can lead to a lot of issues. The dia I'm working with at 11mm is about the minimum.
    Tim

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

The next possible solution is a belt driven by a motor and a light sensor that tracks the level. But I'm looking for a solid state solution.
    Tim

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 34
    Total Downloaded
    4.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

I don't know how they are made but is there an opportunity with the scan sensors out of a printer/scanner. I'm picturing a row of photodetectors with a light through the tube? Maybe that's not how they work as I've never had one apart.
    John

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 182
    Total Downloaded
    5.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

The next possible solution is a belt driven by a motor and a light sensor that tracks the level. But I'm looking for a solid state solution.
    Thats one of my few areas of expertise. It really only works if liquid is either filling or emptying the measuring vessel. Trying to scan up and down would be a nightmare.
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi John

I was looking for one of those but they do not seem to be available. Then found the TSL1401CL

Quote Originally Posted by John Drew View Post
    I don't know how they are made but is there an opportunity with the scan sensors out of a printer/scanner. I'm picturing a row of photodetectors with a light through the tube? Maybe that's not how they work as I've never had one apart.
    John
    Tim

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by towlerg View Post
    Thats one of my few areas of expertise. It really only works if liquid is either filling or emptying the measuring vessel. Trying to scan up and down would be a nightmare.
    What I was thinking was moving up and down to find the edge then jiggle to keep track of it.
    Tim

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1
    Total Downloaded
    173.19 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Tim,
    Given that you're working with water and air you would think a dielectric sensing system would pick up the 80:1 ratio difference. May I ask why the capacitive sensing system didn't work for you as it would seem to be well suited to the application?

Regards,
    David

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi David

I was using the FDC1004 The sensor PCB (pic below) was immersed in the water. Due to the volume of water I am using I have to work to around 1mm precision. When I rigged up the test board the output did not stay stable and was not repeatable.

I'm going to run some experiments to see if I can increase the 1mm resolution but it will not be much.

I always think I have a solution then it never works

Name:	Screenshot 2019-01-18 at 22.06.23.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	3619
    Tim

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1
    Total Downloaded
    173.19 MB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks Tim,
    That's a serious chip for capacitive sensing. Did you try a fixed capacitance in place of the probe to try to see where the instability was coming from?
    As usual the theory is much simpler than the reality.

Cheers,
    David

• Attention

Thread Information