Thread: Back in time looking good !9 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    615.70 MB

1 Not allowed!

Default Re: Back in time looking good !

I can relate to Les story as it was my dad that got me started with valve radio in the mid 60's
    My RAM is failing

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 13
    Total Downloaded
    280.03 MB

0 Not allowed!

Good GRIEF See Mos, mid 60's is even older than the 1970's. Now THAT is ooold :-O

My grandson was visiting one day when he asked, "Grandma, do you know how you and God are alike?"

I mentally polished my halo and I said, "No, how are we alike?''

"You're both old," he replied.
    Fanie

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 13
    Total Downloaded
    280.03 MB

0 Not allowed!

I was just thinking how easy the new-to-pics guys have it.
    Remember the first pics with the windows in them ? If the program wasn't working you levered it out of it's socket, sit it in the UV eraser for 20 minutes, program it in the programmer, plug it back in the board, and hope you didn't miss something stupid.

Micro's didn't have eprom in them from the start. The micro was one chip, the ram and eprom was another chip, and everything was BIG. 40 pin dip micro, 8 bit and 4MHz was fast, with an external crystal and resistors/caps. Not SMD, conventional parts with legs on them.

The very first eprom I programmed had 9 switches on the programmer. You'd read the content off a piece of paper line by line, set the 8 bits on the switches, and clock it in the eprom. If the program didn't work, you start over. Later there was card readers, it had holes in it for the bits. Now THAT was progress. A card fed through in a minute and the programming was done without the human error.

We had a lot of time back then, but then, time goes past at least at twice the rate nowadays.
    Fanie

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 15
    Total Downloaded
    750.96 MB

1 Not allowed!

Well , I had never imagined that I would carve out a living from electronics when I graduated in Electrical Engineering in 1987 with a major in power systems.Got my first job in the R&D department of an instrumentation company where they used to design printed circuit boards using adhesive tapes & transfer type pads.Felt like God when I painstakingly designed my first PCB.......and wrote my first assembly language code of 8085!!
    Formed my own company in 1999.......started using Proton since 2006 ....now I often wonder what would have happened to my career if I had not joined that instrumentation company which whiffed out of existence long back!!
    I strongly believe in DESTINY.
    Welcome back Fanie.
    Shantanu

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 2
    Total Downloaded
    529.65 MB

1 Not allowed!

Mmm

I remember:

John Glenn's first orbit around the world.

The moon landing.

Friend's drafted by the Australian Government going to fight in the Vietnam war.

When valves (tubes)were king. Who remembers 80's, 5Y3GT, 6V6, 45's.

My first germanium transistor.

2N3055

741's

My first homemade circuit board.

PBP then Proton

The default track width on my PCB software is now 0.2mm.

100 pin dsPics are commonly used.

Most customers insisted on C code.

Officially retired deregistered my ABN (Australian Business Number).

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 37
    Total Downloaded
    2.84 GB

0 Not allowed!

Going back even further, who remembers: Mrs Dale's Diary, Take It From Here, The Goon Show, Forces Favourites, The Navy Lark (all on radio). On TV: Muffin The Mule (before it was made illegal), Andy Pandy, The Woodentops, Billy Bean and more...

12. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 336
    Given: 126
    Total Downloaded
    1.52 GB

0 Not allowed!

I wasn't around for most of the above radio shows, but I do listen to them all the time now. My favourites are "The Navy Lark" with wonderful Leslie Philips, the real Dr Who, John Pertwee, and in the earlier episodes, the excellent Ronnie Barker as Fatso Johnson. :-)

Then it has to be "The Clitheroe kid", with the fantastic Jimmy Clitheroe and the brilliant Alfie, who was also superb in the Arthur Askey film "The Love Match". Highly recommended to watch, even if like me you hate football, because the humour is brilliant and gentle.

I was a very young-un when the Woodentops were on and Andy Pandie and Bill and Ben, and I think they were repeats, but I used to watch them with mam on "Watch with Mother". Wonderful times. :-)
    Last edited by Les; Yesterday at 16:08.
    For more example programs for Proton and Proton24 or updates, please visit: Proton WIKI or Proton Files

14. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    615.70 MB

0 Not allowed!

The Navy Lark has to be my absolute favorite, Ronnie Barker as able seaman Johnson (Johnsy) I have a near complete collection.

Round The Horne is another favorite.
    My RAM is failing

16. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 37
    Total Downloaded
    2.84 GB

0 Not allowed!

Round The Horn: Apparently the BBC were quite unaware of all the double-entendres that Kenneth Williams and others put into the show for quite a long time.

18. Attention

Thread Information