USB SPARKEY DONGLE Replacement will it still work with proton version 3.5.0.6

+ Reply to Thread
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 3
    Total Downloaded
    303.76 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default USB SPARKEY DONGLE Replacement will it still work with proton version 3.5.0.6

Hello all,

I have an original USB Sparky Dongle from 2006.

It still works great but is battered and actually has not got a case the case cracked years ago but i re soldered USB pins and it survived.

I have hundreds of legacy industrial products in the field with firmware that was compiled with early proton compiler version 3.5.0.6, some times I edit code in this early version of the compiler if a small change is needed to old original legacy firmware etc,

For newer projects I use a later version of the compiler which has proton 24 compiler etc my original USB sparky key still works with these much newer version of the compiler.

My question is If I order a new USB HID type dongle will that dongle still work with the old version of the compiler 3.5.0.6, ????

If not I am in big trouble as i have literally hundreds of products several different types of industrial products compiled in version 3.5.0.6

My dongle still works but fine But I am scared if it dies and fails one day will the new USB HID type of dongle work with early versions of the compiler version 3.5.0.6

If the New USB HID Keys does not work with proton 3.5.0.6 Can I order a spare Legacy USB Sparkey KEY incase my old trusty USB Sparky dongle ever fails.

Many thanks Sorry for the Long Post
    Matty

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 4
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: USB SPARKEY DONGLE Replacement will it still work with proton version 3.5.0.6

Proton should operate correctly with either version of the license key. BOTH keys are supported.

The latest (currently shipping) USB key requires NO DRIVER and operates with all current version of Windows. If you are having difficulty with the USB key driver under Windows 8 or 10, you may purchase the new driverless key as an alternative.

If you require a second key for a second installation, (maybe you have one instalation at work and one at home. Or one on your laptop and one on your desktop) order a second license key here.

• If you did NOT purchase Proton Compiler - maybe you have a hacked pirate copy - the key may not work.

Lester Wilson
    ---------------------------------
    Crownhill Associates Limited
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    Tel: +44 1353 749990
    Fax: +44 1353 749991
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    303.76 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: USB SPARKEY DONGLE Replacement will it still work with proton version 3.5.0.6

Dear Lester,

Many thanks for the reply and happy new year.

Basically I have some legacy products that I compiled with proton 3.5.0.6, and wanted to know if the new USB HID key works with this very old version of the compiler incase my working sparky USB dongle ever dies.

I am a licensed user for many years and I ordered a spare dongle about 2 years ago,
    I searched all over the lab last night and finally found the spare dongle i had ordered 2 years back.
    The dongle was ordered as a spare using the same procedure you showed in the link.

I have never used the spare dongle before, I can confirm by plugging it into a colleagues desktop last night it is the new USB HID type shown in device manager not sparkey type. And windows found the driver automatically.

Over the weekend I will install a fresh copy of 3.5.0.6 on a PC machine at home and test it works compiles with my spare USB HID dongle.
    I will let you know if it works.
    Many thanks for the continued support of the best PIC compiler on the market.
    Thanks Matty
    Click image for larger version

Name:	dongles.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	3606

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 4
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Both license keys should work without issues.
    Lester Wilson
    ---------------------------------
    Crownhill Associates Limited
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    Tel: +44 1353 749990
    Fax: +44 1353 749991
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    303.76 MB

0 Not allowed!

Dear Lester,

I Have been up since 8 am this morning doing investigations on the dongles. Sorry for such a long post I struggle to get to the point but needed to explain the steps i tried.

Basically I have a need to support legacy product firmware using proton compiler 3.5.0.6, my original sparkey USB dongle is working well and I wanted to test if the my new emergency Spare USB HID dongle I have will work with the early version of the compiler incase my sparky dongle ever dies in the future.

I have now repeated this process carefully twice on two different PC's one a desktop running windows 7 and one on a new laptop running windows 10.

What I have found is the original compiler version 3.5.0.6 works with the USB sparkey key but will not work with the new USB HID dongle.

The new version of the compiler version 3.6.2.7 works fine with the new USB HID key and works with the USB Sparky KEY so the new version works with both DONGLES.

However the old version of the compiler 3.5.0.6 will not work with the new USB HID dongle and will only compile with the original USB Sparky dongle.

I did this in the following order on two separate computers

Installed the original compiler from Proton Compiler 3.5.0.6 - xp setup program

I puprposley change the directory to C:\ProgramFiles\ProtonIde3506 'this is done so the newer installation tried afterwards does not overwrite the default location of C:\Programfiles\ProtonIDE

1) Install 3.5.0.6 then successfully compiled a program 18f6628 mcu using origonal USB sparkey dongle
    'now i remove the USB sparkey dongle for the next step of the test
    2)Plug in USB HID dongle windows recognizes the USB HID device and installs correct driver
    3) Now try and compile Compiler error USB KEY MISSING even though the new USB HID dongle is present in usb socket and drivers installed

Next stage
    4) Install new copy of Proton compiler 3.6.2.7 and proton 24 1.0.5.3
    5)Compile program for 18f6628 MCU compiles sucessfully and recognises the USB HID dongle so the new USB HID dongle works with Proton 3.6.2.7 latest release
    6)Now go to compiler options and Find compiler manually point the compiler to my origonal folder C:\Programfiles\ProtonIde3506
    7)The previous step works when attempting to compile 3.5.0.6 is invoked and very quickly stops upon attempting to compile saying error USB key missing even though the USB HID key is in the old version of compiler 3.5.0.6 wont recognise the USB HID dongle even when using the latest IDE version 2.0.3.3
    8) Now I plug the original USB sparkey key in and then it sucessfuly compiles with the origonal USB sparkey key in and using the Latest IDE 2.0.3.3 but pointing to the old compiler using Find manually pointing at the PDS folder for the 3.5.0.6 version

Summary:
    The New USB HID dongle works with the latest version of the compiler version 3.6.2.7
    The New USB HID dongle does not work when pointing to the origonal 3.5.0.6 PDS driectory for compiler
    USB sparky key works with Both 3.5.0.6 and works with 3.6.2.7 compiler version

Can I purchase an origonal USB sparkey dongle as the new USB HID will not work with compiler version 3.5.0.6 I am willing to pay top Dollar for it

I am in a good position my original USB sparkey still works
    But if my USB SParkey key ever dies I cannot compile many many legacy 3.5.0.6 firmwares if i ever need to make changes using the new USB HID key.

Many thanks matty
    Got the exact same results on two different PC's (one desktop win 7 32 bit) and laptop win 10 64 bit

• Attention

Thread Information