Dongle Issues with Windows 7 64 Bit. Making it difficult to use already purchased key

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    304.56 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Dongle Issues with Windows 7 64 Bit. Making it difficult to use already purchased key

I have had a lot of issue with the Compiler finding the dongle with new installs, it always says Missing Security Key now with the latest version.

Uninstall device, uninstall drivers, install drivers, install compiler and every possible combination..

As soon as I installed this older version it worked perfectly first time, strange coincidence?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Working Compiler.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	3601

I was advised that the new HID Key would resolve these issues, surely supporting the previous keys should be a priority? I have a few of these at home, at the office and for my laptop and it's caused no end of problems and made me late delivering projects trying to sort it out.

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    3.72 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Dongle Issues with Windows 7 64 Bit. Making it difficult to use already purchased

I am sure somebody here will know the answer but in the meantime...
    a) search the forums as driver issues has been discussed before as the solution my lie there &
    b) if your PC has multiple user accounts have you tried checking/setting the drivers permission to all users, as it may just be linked to the Admin account only.

The HID dongles should be better as they are future proof, the USB HID standard is set in stone whereas Microsoft can elect to change their driver standards at will.
    Consequently, I personally think the HID dongles would be better, that is if you can get hold of them as my three attempts at contacting sales to replace me current dongle with a HID one and obtain a second as spare have gone unanswered

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 26
    Total Downloaded
    6.08 GB

1 Not allowed!

Default Re: Dongle Issues with Windows 7 64 Bit. Making it difficult to use already purchased

Elliot,

Have a look at this Wiki link. 98% of who had trouble installing the Sparkey drivers for the dongle solved the issue.
    Regards

Joseph

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 4
    Total Downloaded
    1.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

as my three attempts at contacting sales to replace me current dongle with a HID one and obtain a second as spare have gone unanswered
    What is to answer.

Just visit the website and order a new license key

its really not that difficult.
    Lester Wilson
    ---------------------------------
    Crownhill Associates Limited
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    Tel: +44 1353 749990
    Fax: +44 1353 749991
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 13
    Total Downloaded
    280.03 MB

0 Not allowed!

I have just re-installed the PDS and key driver from scratch, and the PDS also did not see the dongle.
    To solve just go to the device manager in the control panel and select the dongle in the list, it should have an X beside it showing it is not installed/recognized/activated.
    Right click on it, select properties.
    Click update the driver and tell it to search the driver under C:\ (Assuming you installed the driver)
    It should reply with successfully updated, and all the supported pics compile correctly. I checked two which are not the free pics, and no, I did not re-compile all the programs I wrote .

Everybody still ok ?

Ok, how about from the shoulders on downwards ?
    Fanie

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 39
    Total Downloaded
    3.36 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Fanie

Good to hear from you. I'm OK, how about you?

Charlie

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 13
    Total Downloaded
    280.03 MB

0 Not allowed!

Surviving... Is that an answer ?
    Fanie

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 39
    Total Downloaded
    3.36 GB

0 Not allowed!

Yeah. It sounds as though you're having fun with 3D printing. We made a few 3D things at work and de-lamination was a problem.
    I like your idea of driving 7 seg displays with 8 bit latches, I wish I'd thought of that.

All the best for yet another year.
    Charlie

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    161.75 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Guys,
    I updated my Proton about 2 weeks ago & bought a spare dongle for it. Maybe my Windows 7 is different to one which does not need a dongle driver ??
    My windows automatically installs the wrong driver, so the device shows up as a spark key not a spark Dongle. When I tried to update the driver & point to one that is in the Proton Program file, Windows says "The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible driver for your device, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64 systems" In another box it shows that Windows has determined that the best driver for this device is already installed. I put the driver files in a directory on a USB memory stick & tried the same & selecting have a disk. Same result.
    If I uninstall it & then plug it in, Windows immediately installs the wrong driver. How do I solve this. Has signed drivers or Norton got anything to do with this problem ?
    Regards,
    Gary

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    3.72 GB

0 Not allowed!

If you recently brought a spare dongle then I would expect it to be a HID device and not need a driver as the HID specification is defined by the USB standards and any PC with a USB port will support it.

If you have an old spark key dongle, IIRC there used to be an issue with the drivers being unsigned, I don't think that is currently the case but you could try temporarily setting Windows to allow unsigned drivers just to be sure and also temporarily turn off you Anti-Virus as they can sometimes block installation if there is something about the file it does not like.

If you have not already done so you could also try you could also try downloading the drivers from here and try those, they are dated the same as those installed with the compiler but it is worth trying in case the files you have were somehow corrupted.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    161.75 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Stephen,
    Thanks for the instructions. I have tried down loading the files from the "here" page & putting them on a stick. Unfortunately the same result. I will probably end up taking my PC to an "expert". If I could stop windows automatically loading the wrong driver, I am sure I could get somewhere. I don't want to delete all my USB drivers because I have a wireless mouse & keyboard. Also my old dongle is still working, & I need at least one at the moment.
    Regards,
    Gary

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 26
    Total Downloaded
    6.08 GB

0 Not allowed!

Gary,

Use USBDeview to view USB devices being connected. Then delete only that device.

Have you read post #3 of this thread? If yes, follow the instructions on the Wiki. 98% of the users that used that method managed to get their dongle working, including me after a fresh install of Windows.
    Regards

Joseph

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

Gary,
    The recently delivered USB licence key is a HID device.
    You should not associate the sparkey drivers with it.
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    161.75 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Lester,
    I deleted the drivers, then plugged the dongle back in. Windows immediately installed it's drivers & the dongle showed up as a USB Key, which does not work. Proton shows a message ERROR: Missing security key. Do you have any old dongles left ? Thanks for the interest.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

We no longer stock the Old USB License keys that used the very old unsigned and the newer Windows signed drivers.

The Current USB License key is a HID device and will enumerate as a HID compliant device.
    The HID device will show under Human Interface Devices in Windows Device Manger

IF you have managed to associat the OLD USB device Windows driver, to the HID device, you will need to dissassociate it. It will not operate.

Remove the device

Device Cleanup Tool V0.7.1 - removes non-present devices from the Windows device management

Hardware ID: HID - Vid:3689 PID:8762

This device uses the Microsoft HID driver. There is NO driver to install and NO driver to manually associate with the License Key
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

• Attention

Thread Information