Thread: Beta Testers Wanted1031 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    408.14 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Beta Testers Wanted

Can you see the PDS code or just the ASM?
    Either one. You can debug at the source code level, set breakpoints, single step, view registers, watch variables, etc

Is there any idiots guide to it?
    There's some info in the PDS docs about using Proton with MPLAB that talks about how to set it up and using the MPLAB simulator to debug. The hardware ICD debuggers are very similar, just some different features since you're using the ICD tool in place of the SIM.

There's also http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/content...ng-MPLab-s-SIM and some MPLAB docs, but I don't know of a step by step guide.

Just be sure to use the old MPLAB 8.92, and not MPLABX. You'll be limited to debugging "older" devices, but it works with pickit2,pickit3,ICD3, or realICE. The ICD3 is the best choice (if you have one), but I've used the PK2/3 for years with it too.

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 181
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

If I were you, I'd go with Tumbleweed's suggestion but I have to say "It takes a little getting used to..." might be a bit of an understatment.

I had taken your suggestion of a minimal version onboard and was wondering what device everyone might have, so I was surprised when you posted that you only had access to 18F4680, not my first guess.I had assumed that everyone would have a range of devices.Any suggestions for the mostcommon 18F and 16F devices?I thought maybe 18F2550 and 16F877A
    George.

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 12
    Total Downloaded
    5.03 GB

0 Not allowed!

I use the 18F26K22 as default device and when I must do something with my old 16F628A PCB's I always replace them with the 16F1826/16F1827 a pin compatible enhanced PIC.
    I replace my old 28pin 16F devices with my default (pin compatible) 18F26K22. I don't use 18F devices with hardware USB.

I saw at the Microchip site that my default 18FxxK22 is not recommended anymore, it looks that they want me to move to K42??? Given the many problem stories about K42 here on the forum, I believe I stay with my K22 for some time.

Johan

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    408.14 MB

0 Not allowed!

I saw at the Microchip site that my default 18FxxK22 is not recommended anymore, it looks that they want me to move to K42???
    Not sure where you see that, but the K22 is still in production and isn't going anywhere. It's not THAT old!

The K42 is a different core. If you wanted to switch to something a little more recent there's the K40, but for either of those you'd have to switch to using MPLABX... they're not supported in MPLAB 8.

Recent chips tend to be cheaper, which is maybe why the recommendation to switch, but Microchip pretty much never obsoletes anything. I can still get most parts I used 20 years ago! You pay for that, though.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    1.09 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi George,
    [QUOTE
    ] so I was surprised when you posted that you only had access to 18F4680 [/QUOTE]
    Thinking about it I have an Amicus18 which is probably the best device as it has a bootloader.

18F4680 has CAN built in so I have quite a few of them, others I have are 18F258 / 2580 / 448 / 458 which have CAN as well. I have the VSM for other things (which I bought when thought they were going to add CAN).
    I also have a firewing board (less said the better) and now a Microstick II which has CAN. There is a theme building here.

I think I will look at the MPLAb option but would be interested to see if you can do a simple demo for the Amicus18

Hi Tumbleweed,
    Does it work with Pickit4 as I have just bought one of them.

Bob

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 12
    Total Downloaded
    5.03 GB

0 Not allowed!

when I looked in products at the (terribly bad) Microchip site and then the 18F family they only present K83, K40 en K42 families. Yes when I search for K22 there are plenty of devices.
    In earlier days it was easy to look and compare within a huge table with all the PIC's. But that one I can't find anymore. As I say I stick with the 18F26K22 and certainly now I know that only MPLABX support these new chips.

Johan

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    408.14 MB

0 Not allowed!

Does it work with Pickit4 as I have just bought one of them
    MPLAB 8.92 only supports up to the Pickit3/ICD3.

You need MPLABX for the Pickit4/ICD4. That's a rabbit hole you probably don't want to go down if you can avoid it.
    The IPE programming app isn't too terribly bad, but MPLABX proper...

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hard to beleive the best that someone recommending a microchip product can say is "isn't too terribly bad"
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

Latest version assumes Proceedure module is installed (why wouldn't you?) and will not work correctly without. I will not support two versions.SnapShot.zip

I've added minimal 16F and 18F examples both with and without compiler meta data.

I've partially added two new functions, display of a subset of SFR's and plotting.
    Last edited by towlerg; 18th March 2019 at 17:29.
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

I've been working on a data logger module and I'm fairly pleased, although I still have the shifted scale ticks and numbers to deal with.

plotting starts on the extream left untill it "hits" the right side, from there untill the end of plotting the image and time scale scroll left. I would like to be able to time compress the data and currently display the mean of 5, 10 or 100 samples. I doubt that this is the best way, I wonder perhaps is a vertical line representing max min values in the selected time might be better.

Are there standard ways to do this or does anyone have any suggestions?
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

Latest version.

Click image for larger version

Name:	plot.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	3704
    Attached Files Attached Files
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

I minor upgrade, SnapShot.exe only, raised version to 1.4.1
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

Another minor update. Plot now has a minutes and seconds timebase but there is some horrible bug which I can't for the life of me find. I've added a fudge factor which seems to work on several different generation machines running different applications under SnapShot but don't place too much reliance on the time axis.
    George.

• Attention

Thread Information