Thread: Procedures in the 8-bit Proton Compiler369 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 296
    Given: 142
    Total Downloaded
    1.75 GB

4 Not allowed!

Default Procedures in the 8-bit Proton Compiler

I'd just like to let you know that I have added procedures to the standard 8-bit Proton compiler, the same as Proton24 types.

I've finished the skeleton mechanism for them and am now working on the finer points of them. It's been a true uphill struggle to get the mechanism working fully, but it looks like it's nearly there.

Because of unfortunate circumstances, Procedures will not be a free update, but instead a donation to my paypal account will give the user a licence key file and the compiler will look for it and implement the procedures. The licence file will contain some details about the user and the details will be added to the compiler's output files as text, so that it is made personal. The file will be hashed and encrypted so that it is not easy to copy or change because the compiler will know of changes made to it and the procedures will be dropped. Hopefully, the extra money will allow me to further enhance the compilers, as I have future plans for them. I will need some Alpha testers, but I know that some of the friends on this forum will help with that, and I'll upload the compiler setup in a personalised google directory for the alpha testers.

None of the free 8-bit compiler versions will have procedures, and again, they will be on a donation mechanism. If Procedures are written in the free versions, a message will appear telling the user what to do to get them.

The contents of a procedure will not be incorporated into the final asm code if it is not implemented in the program, so a library file can have as many as it wants, but only the ones called will be used. They also have local variables and parameters and a return etc... Exactly the same as the procedures in Proton24. Because the compiler already produces the tightest code available of all compilers, procedures will give an extra edge. Later, if they produce any money, I will implement RAM re-use and, maybe, structs etc.... Also, I have plans for ProtonAVR, and the microcontrollers used in, virtually, all the really cheap Chinese modules, which are based upon the 8051 and 8052 architecture. Crickey.... I used to write 8051 asm code before PICs came into existance. LOL

I'm also hoping to get enough to start advertising in some magazines in the US and Australia etc... I have been approached by Nuts and Volts for a couple of articles on Proton24, but I find it difficult to find the time now, because I get so tired so I cannot work the 18 hours a day, or so, that I used to be able to do, but I will do them, just to show people that "I CAN STILL DO IT AND PROTON IS NOT DEAD"! I have worked on my babies (Compilers) on my very own for too many years to give them up!

Watch this space!
    Last edited by top204; 11th December 2018 at 11:04.

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 39
    Total Downloaded
    3.36 GB

1 Not allowed!

Default Re: Procedures in the 8-bit Proton Compiler

You certainly can "still do it" Les, many thanks. This will be a very welcome and useful facility.

Charlie

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 95
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

1 Not allowed!

Considering the benefits I get from Proton. You have my money every day of the week..

Thanks so much for supporting the compiler.
    Tim

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    203.73 MB

1 Not allowed!

Les,
    Congratulations, Les. I'm glad of this new line of work. The improvements are welcome. I will wait for your news to buy the new version.

Thank you Les.

Gamboa

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 25
    Total Downloaded
    4.40 GB

1 Not allowed!

Brilliant news Les, just say when and I'll part with some dosh! If anyone is in doubt about how much better Proton is than other BASIC compilers, just take a look around - I think you might be shocked. As for alpha testers Les, if I can help.....

Bob

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 181
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

Les, FWIW I think you should use what time you have to create those projects for N&V, surely that will create more awareness of Proton. Why wouldn't you go for free advertising?. I remain unconvinced about full-on proceedures (existing mechanism works althought is of cource not foolproof - what is?) although the notion seems attractive. Seems like quart and pint pot.

I hope you'll forgive my negativity, it certainly isn't shared by other posters but like I said, just my opinion FWIW.
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 1
    Total Downloaded
    7.18 GB

1 Not allowed!

Hi Les,
    Thanks a lot for this wonderful news. I wish you a great day!
    With friendship,
    Teo

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 12
    Total Downloaded
    5.03 GB

1 Not allowed!

Even though I do not use Procedures I will like to donate for the Proton extention.
    Johan

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    1.38 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hello
    Thats Super Duper Les, Your the Man.

Gary

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 29
    Total Downloaded
    6.17 GB

0 Not allowed!

Les,

I never used Procedures as of until now I have not used the P24. Having said that I am ready for a donation and begin using Procedures, if I do understand how they work.

One question! The license file that you are going to issue with a donation is for one compiler with a USB key or I can install it on other computers I have? Currently I have two computers, carrying the USB key with me each time I move from one to another.

I would also reduce the number of free devices in the free compiler. This will attract more users to buy the compiler if they need a specific device.
    Regards

Joseph

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 12
    Total Downloaded
    5.03 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    I'd just like to let you know that I have added procedures to the standard 8-bit Proton compiler, the same as Proton24 types.
    I did not know the "Procedures" mechanism so I have read the Proton24 manual pages 43-47. WAUW Procedures, that is a powerful tool!!! That will make my "programming" live much easier.
    I can't wait to donate.

Johan

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 181
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

I would also reduce the number of free devices in the free compiler.
    Absolutly, take all the modern devices out of the frre to use set. Leave it with the devices everbody has got but nobody uses anymore. Alternatly a trial version but I know that has problems.
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 25
    Total Downloaded
    4.40 GB

0 Not allowed!

I would also consider a minimum donation size as well Les. All this effort needs to be suitably rewarded.

........a licence key file and the compiler will look for it and implement the procedures. The licence file will contain some details about the user and the details will be added to the compiler's output files as text, so that it is made personal. The file will be hashed and encrypted so that it is not easy to copy or change because the compiler will know of changes made to it and the procedures will be dropped.

Could the same technique be applied to the main compiler thus eliminating the need for the USB key? This would not only reduce production costs, but also make the "fully loaded" version of Proton available via download anywhere in the world.

Bob

• Attention

Thread Information