Thread: PICKitPlus Forum420 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 25
    Total Downloaded
    4.47 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: PICKitPlus Forum

Evan, I wonder if you are confusing Les and Lester. My apologies if this is not the case.

Bob

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1
    Total Downloaded

0 Not allowed!

Yes, I am. Lester really sorry!

But, I am sharing information with Les and all that can only help the understanding. :-)

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 34
    Total Downloaded
    4.60 GB

1 Not allowed!

You are not the first to be confused Evan.

Lester Wilson is the person who provides us with this Forum and whose company sells PDS.

Les Johnson is the writer of Proton and the person who helps us with our queries and does all the software stuff. The donation for Procedures goes directly to Les at [email protected].

Best wishes
    John
    Last edited by John Drew; 1st March 2019 at 23:26.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 12
    Total Downloaded
    3.12 GB

0 Not allowed!

I bought this program yesteday and it seems that it will cater for all my future needs. I have only tried it with Pickit 2 and 18f25k22 and have noted one positive difference. If I choose Auto Import Hex + Write Device and the compiling fails, I don't have to start the programming again. That was my main gripe with the old program.
    Flosi Guđmundsson
    Reykjavík

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.12 GB

0 Not allowed!

Yesterday I tried programming 18f27k42 for the first time. It took about 1 1/2 min. Is that normal? The program was just a short blinky.
    Flosi Guđmundsson
    Reykjavík

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 182
    Total Downloaded
    5.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

I'm sure Evan will respond to this but in the mean time, that does seem very slow. Are you using the GUI or CLI? If you're using CLI, what command line are you using. Perhaps you could post the hex and I'll try it. BTW how big is the HEX file?

FWIW for unpowered I used
    rget-device$ -f$long-hex-filename$ -mpce
    for 3.3v external power
    -2 -a3.3 -k -pPIC$target-device$ -f$long-hex-filename$ -mpce
    for 5v external power
    -2 -k -dK -pPIC$target-device$ -f$long-hex-filename$ -mpce
    But again I'm sure Evan can give a more definitive answer.
    Last edited by towlerg; 30th October 2019 at 15:07.
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.12 GB

0 Not allowed!

I'm using the GUI. The family chosen is nr 22. After starting up everything except Read,Erase and Blank Check is grayed out. If I press Blank Check that takes only few seconds and then then the program shows Program data, EEprom data and HEF/SEF. Auto import HEX + Write device remains gray until I uncheck HEF/SEF. Programming then takes one and half minute and program shows not responding most of that time.
    Flosi Guđmundsson
    Reykjavík

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded

0 Not allowed!

Been travelling, hence delay.

I would have to carry out benchmarks and analysis to fully understand the timing. This range of chips uses the essentially the same script architecture as all chips, with the new protocol converter as an additional overhead.

We have carried out limited performance analysis on the end to end programming process as the first 18 months has been stabilisation and adding new capabilities.

We certainly can analyse the performance and potentially improve. We will always remain conservative with respect to performance but the scripts have the potential for optimisation.

Send me the hex as this will enable us to ensure we are comparing like for like. You have the contact email.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded

0 Not allowed!

@flosigud

Thank you for the hex file.

It now makes sense to me. Your hex is very small and if you uncheck HEF/SAF data you will find the programming and verification takes only a few seconds.

So, what is
    HEF/SAF data check box doing? This check box ensure the HEF/SAF data memory of the chips PROGMEM is retained. So, this is achieved by a total read of the chip (these are large PROGMEM chips) and then the software merges automatically the HEF/SAF data memory . So, if you are not the HEF/SAF data memory using simply uncheck the HEF/SAF data check box.

@George.

Your software is a very early version. And, may not even support HEF/SAF data handling. I think you had our first release, so, your timing would be effectively just a write/verify that is not optimised. We introduced write/verification optimisation of the CLI program and HEF/SAF data handling. These later changes make a huge difference to the overall timings.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.12 GB

0 Not allowed!

Programming takes 1 1/2 minute with hef/sef uncheked.
    Flosi Guđmundsson
    Reykjavík

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by flosigud View Post
    Programming takes 1 1/2 minute with hef/sef uncheked.
    Screen shots please of your About page.

And, a sheet shot of the main application prior to programming operation.

Evan

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 182
    Total Downloaded
    5.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

@Evan as you know I choose not to continue using PickitPlus, although I think it's great that you've given a "shot in the arm" to a tried and tested piece of old hardware, I decided to go NSDSP which I have to say is blindingly fast (especially as I'd previously been using uuugh IPE).

If I had not bought the NSDSP chip just before you released PikkitPlus I would definitely have gone for it and would advise anybody using Pickit2 or Pickit3 for any device to stump up a few quid, they will not regret it.
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by towlerg View Post
    @Evan as you know I choose not to continue using PickitPlus, although I think it's great that you've given a "shot in the arm" to a tried and tested piece of old hardware, I decided to go NSDSP which I have to say is blindingly fast (especially as I'd previously been using uuugh IPE).

If I had not bought the NSDSP chip just before you released PikkitPlus I would definitely have gone for it and would advise anybody using Pickit2 or Pickit3 for any device to stump up a few quid, you will not regret it.
    Thank you for your support. Truly grateful.

I will get you into the BETA program for PKAutoWatch. Look for email in next few days - try and let us know how you get on.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded

0 Not allowed!

This is what I am doing. Are you doing something different?

Evan

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.12 GB

0 Not allowed!

Yes I'm doing it differently. I use " Auto import HEX + Write device". I can't send you any screen dumps as the problem has evolved. The program doesn't run at all.
    Flosi Guđmundsson
    Reykjavík

• Attention

Thread Information