Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    552.06 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: PICKitPlus Forum

Hi Evan,
    I am interested but as Les has said, it would be good if there was a demo with just the Amicus18 devices so it could be tested for functionality, look and feel.
    I notice you say it supports 8bit but is it likely to cater for the PIC24 devices that PDS supports?
    Is it likely to include the PicKit4 at a later date.

Regards,
    Bob

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded

0 Not allowed!

Understand. Les has the software, provided last night. So, we should get a view on the Amicus18.

We test and focus on 8-bit, but, we have not removed or changed the PIC24 (or, other microcontrollers ) capabilities. I have update the microcontroller database for non-8 bit microcontrollers as people have provided the required changes.

Re: PICKit4 and SNAP. If someone wants to donate programmers then we can look into this. Microchip Programmer Business Unit do not want to send us one... I did ask. :-)

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 130
    Total Downloaded
    1.53 GB

0 Not allowed!

I have not received any software Evan!

Sorry if this seems a strange question, but I can get no information from your web site. What exactly does the software do? Does it just add newer devices to the PICkit programmers?

I've always, really, disliked the way the PICkit programmers had to have firmware bootloaded to them everytime a different device is chosen. I've bricked 2 PICkits with continuous change of device.

What I was once going to do was simply use the PICkits as the hardware platform and create new firmware for it that only required parameters sent to it, because PIC and PIC24 and dsPIC devices all have a similar programming mechanism, it's usually just changes in timings and flash sizes for erase and programming, and voltages that require altering. Also, sometimes a different command sequence for entering program mode. But these could easily be placed on the device within the PICkit2, and especially the PICkit3, and it would change internally for the device family and the extra bits and pieces sent to it from the programming software. The PICkit clones from China can be bought for a lot less than the components would cost. :-) If a whole new device family are created or added, then a bootload of new firmware would be done to add them to the hardware.

It was logistics that made it difficult at the time, because there were so many devices and so little time to create the data for each device.

The PICkit PC applications were open source, if I remember, and were originally in Borland C, then in C#. I remember years ago making changes to the PC programmer application because it did not have a mechanism for command line info, and it all had to be done in the Windows GUI. That's when I got my first experience with C#, and what a dreadful language it is. LOL A Bastardisation of C, C++ and Visual BASIC.! It can't quite make up its mind what language it actually is, and is an interpreted language so it is slow to operate and slow to power up in the first place from the command line. :-)
    Last edited by Les; 1st March 2019 at 16:56.
    For more example programs for Proton and Proton24 or updates, please visit: Proton WIKI or Proton Files

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded

0 Not allowed!

How strange you have not received. See the log below, and, we have no error message today from a rejection.

2019.02.28 19:53:25 (Thu)------------Start of Session-----------------
    Blat v2.6.2 w/GSS encryption (build : Feb 25 2007 12:06:19)
    Sending Z:\public_html\distros\{obfuscated data}\email.txt to lester.wilson@crownhill.co.uk, PICKPlus@anobium.co.uk
    Subject: PICKit Plus distribution - Latest release with the new parts database
    Login name is PICKitPlus@anobium.co.uk
    2019.02.28 19:53:28 (Thu)-------------End of Session------------------

> Sorry if this seems a strange question, but I can get no information from your web site. What exactly does the software do? Does it just add newer devices to the PICkit programmers?
    Posted previously in the forum, but, I will summarize.

The software is intended to make programming of the 8-bit PICs easier. The goal is to extend the life of the PICkit2 and PICkit3 Programmers.

The PICkitPlus capabilities include:

• Three software elements - the software in your package is specific to you and the donation.
    1. PICkit 3 Graphical user interface application. Specific solution for the PICkit™ 3 In-Circuit Debugger/Programmer
    2. PICkit 2 Graphical user interface application. Specific solution for the PICkit™ 2 In-Circuit Debugger/Programmer
    3. PICkit Command line user interface application. Supports both PICkit™ 2 and 3 In-Circuit Debugger/Programmer
    • New programming protocol support for new classes of 8-bit Microchips PIC microcontrollers
    • New support for setting Microchip PIC UserIDs
    • Updated and managed 8-bit Microchips PIC microcontroller database with online version checker
    • Improved user interface
    • HEF/SAF support with optional automatic merging
    • Improved Help, guidance and direct access to the 8-bit Microchips PIC microcontroller database.
    • USB (Full speed 12 Mbits/s interface to host PC) & IDE compatible for programming.

> Ive always, really, disliked the way the PICkit programmers had to have firmware bootloaded to them everytime a different device is chosen. I've bricked 2 PICkits with continuous change of device.
    We do not change the bootloader, we use a database. I have also bricked a number of programmers and one of our design constraints is to ensure we do not change the booloader.

> What I was once going to do was simply use the PICkits as the hardware platform and create new firmware for it that only required parameters sent to it, because PIC and PIC24 and dsPIC devices all have a similar programming mechanism, it's usually just changes in timings and flash sizes for erase and programming, and voltages that require altering. Also, sometimes a different command sequence for entering program mode. But these could easily be placed on the device within the PICkit2, and especially the PICkit3, and it would change internally for the device family and the extra bits and pieces sent to it from the programming software. The PICkit clones from China can be bought for a lot less than the components would cost. :-) IF a whole new family are created or added, then a bootload of new firmware would be done.
    This is what Microchip started to do... manage the process but they stopped in 2012. We have now added new families and we simply send the parameters, from the database, for all microcontrollers. The new microcontroller database has all the required information.

>It was logistics that made it difficult at the time, because there were so many devices and so little time to create the data for each device.
    We have 933 microcontrollers in the new microcontroller database. We have added several hundred but we have scripts that now add the microcontrollers. As you say - a big number and some times only a few parameters change between microcontrollers.

We now manage the new microcontroller database and the software is enabled to inform the user of updates, so, they can download.

Also, when we update the software or the new microcontroller database we inform the users.

> The PICkit PC applications are open source, if I remember, and were originally in Borland C, then in C#. I remember years ago making changes to the PC programmer application because it did not have a mechanism for command line info, and it all had to be done in the Windows GUI. That's when I got my first experience with C#, and what a dreadful language it is. LOL A Bastardisation of C, C++ and Visual BASIC.! It can't quite make up its mind what language it actually is, and is an interpreted language so it is slow to operate and slow to power up in the first place from the command line. :-)
    I do not know the history re Borland. All code is C#. We have rewritten the command line utility completely from the ground up. It was dreadful. Very poor. So, cannot disagree.

Let me know directly if you have not received the email re the software - the automated process has not failed us yet. :-)
    Last edited by evan; 1st March 2019 at 17:18.

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded

0 Not allowed!

I have just send a test email to your email account. lester.wilson@crownhill.co.uk

This is very odd as I am not getting any failure reports here.

Evan

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 22
    Total Downloaded
    2.49 GB

0 Not allowed!

Evan, I wonder if you are confusing Les and Lester. My apologies if this is not the case.

Bob

12. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded

0 Not allowed!

Yes, I am. Lester really sorry!

But, I am sharing information with Les and all that can only help the understanding. :-)

14. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 31
    Total Downloaded
    3.16 GB

0 Not allowed!

You are not the first to be confused Evan.

Lester Wilson is the person who provides us with this Forum and whose company sells PDS on behalf of Les.

Les Johnson is the writer of Proton and the person who helps us with our queries and does all the software stuff. The donation for Procedures goes directly to Les at storypainter@gmail.com.

Best wishes
    John
    Last edited by John Drew; 1st March 2019 at 23:26.

16. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 6
    Total Downloaded
    1.48 GB

0 Not allowed!

I bought this program yesteday and it seems that it will cater for all my future needs. I have only tried it with Pickit 2 and 18f25k22 and have noted one positive difference. If I choose Auto Import Hex + Write Device and the compiling fails, I don't have to start the programming again. That was my main gripe with the old program.
    Flosi Guđmundsson
    Reykjavík

18. Attention

Thread Information