Thread: Debugger380 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 181
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Debugger

I'm looking for a hardware debugger that does not use MPLabx and obviously will read Proton source or COFF, any suggestions?

All I've found so far is the Mikro offering which I guess probably won't work with Proton.
    George.

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 45
    Total Downloaded
    1.39 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Debugger

Quote Originally Posted by towlerg View Post
    I'm looking for a hardware debugger that does not use MPLabx and obviously will read Proton source or COFF, any suggestions?

All I've found so far is the Mikro offering which I guess probably won't work with Proton.
    What do you require which isn't provided by say serial out debugging or MPLab Sim for example?

Norm

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    408.14 MB

0 Not allowed!

There's not a lot to pick from. Other than the mchip tools the only ones I'm aware of are the MikroE and CCS debuggers and I'd have a hard time recommending either of them since it pretty much locks you into their tools. I don't think they'd work well with Proton.

If you don't need to work with the latest devices, MPLAB 8.92 and a pickit3 are probably the best options in terms of cost. I prefer debugging with the ICD3 but that's a lot more money, although it has dropped in price since the ICD4 has come out.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    1.09 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi,
    I am not sure if it still works as the compiler has moved on but P-ICD can be really useful. http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/content.php/4430-P-ICD

Regards,
    Bob

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks guys, I did a bit of work for an old collegue and the money is burning a hole.

I was aware of P-ICD but I've never been able to get it working.

I'd like a full single step, breakpont, variable view etc. the whole nine yards.

I hate Mplab/Mplabx with a passion. In the words of a character from "Good Morning Vietnam", it sucks the balls of a dead dog.

Proton will make a .COF (and with a bit of work, an .ELF) kindda hoped the Mikro thing might work.

Does anyone have the Mikro dohicky?
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 45
    Total Downloaded
    1.39 GB

0 Not allowed!

I had looked into P-ICD for integration with FL however remember each device requires a file of which as the newer devices became more complex the difficulty increased and was not kept up.

Proteus VSM should also be in the discussion.

Norm
    Last edited by normnet; 29th November 2018 at 05:12.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    408.14 MB

0 Not allowed!

I hate Mplab/Mplabx with a passion.
    I'm with you as far as MPLABX goes, but MPLAB8 isn't THAT bad. At least it works, which is more than I can say about my experiences with MPLABX.

I've used the MikroE tools in the past and had a number of issues with their stuff too. To be fair, that was years ago so I don't know if things have improved or not.

I find debugging with a hardware-based tool to be very different than using a software-based one like P-ICD or a simulator.

The hardware tools don't require you to change your code, don't effect the timing, and most times let you run your code in exactly the environment it's going to be working on. The simulators all have issues when it comes to how many of the peripherals operate and I don't trust them for anything other than debugging code algorithms.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

My main gripe with Proteus is that their main focus appears to be constantly adding new features without doing the nuts and bolts work of adding new devices.

Looks like my few pounds will have to be wasted on something else, 3d printer, 'scope or I don't know what. Any suggestions on a toy for a couple of hundred quid.
    Last edited by towlerg; 29th November 2018 at 13:22.
    George.

• Attention

Thread Information