Thread: Web site advertising390 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 4
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Web site advertising

If all current users signed up for the Amazon Prime trial via the link, the commission would fund the forum server costs for 2 months !

maybe i should make signing up for the Amazon prime trial a condition of membership???

Your comments are welcome :-)
    Lester Wilson
    ---------------------------------
    Crownhill Associates Limited
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    Tel: +44 1353 749990
    Fax: +44 1353 749991
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    1.38 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Only visible to Admins?

Hello
    I think the advertisements are OK, I think they will help with the cost you shouldered for so long. is any of the revenue going to Proton?
    Crownhill and Proton could use a distributer in the USA.
    Many Thanks
    Gary

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

A US based reseller would be great, i'm all ears !
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 29
    Total Downloaded
    6.08 GB

0 Not allowed!

Lester,

I am trying to sign to Amazon prime but there is no link when you read the forum. However the link appears when I am doing this reply.
    Regards

Joseph

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 29
    Total Downloaded
    6.08 GB

0 Not allowed!

Ok. Once I did the reply now the link is active. Before it was more like a picture, couldn't even select the text.
    Regards

Joseph

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

ok thanks i'll see if i can improve it.
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    3.72 GB

0 Not allowed!

Apologises if this is in the wrong place but I think it may be related as I believe it started around the time ads were introduced.
    When using the quick reply everything is fine, but when I used the Advanced reply an advert for a 25% Proton discount appears at a random height within the text editing window (see image). This is annoying in two ways...
    1) When the text you are entering in underneath the advert you cannot see that you have written &
    2) If I place my mouse anywhere about the advert it acts like it is over the link, consequently when I click to move the cursor to some text I want to edit it activates the link as takes me to the Crownhill website.

I think it is some kind of positioning issue as when I review my post the longer the post is the more the ad moves up out of the editing window space and into the preview space as the editing window is moved down to make space for the preview. The issue does not appear to be browser specific as I am seeing this with both Edge and Chrome running under Windows 10. Is anyone else encountering this or is it just me/my browser settings?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Forum misplaced proton ad.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	3603

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Stephen, thats a strange issue.
    I wonder if others are seeing the same as you. I tested under Firefox and Chrome amd I dont see the issue

the advanced editor should look like the image here:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	editor-proton-25.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	3604

The advertisement should be above and outside of the editor window

The text you are seeing is below the image, its strange that you are not seeing the image. Are you using an adblocker?, your page is not rendering all of the components that are being served, I think thats why you are seeing the alignment issue.
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 12
    Total Downloaded
    5.03 GB

0 Not allowed!

I use an AdBlocker with Chrome (Windows10 Home) and I don't have any problem.

Johan

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    3.72 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lester View Post
    The advertisement should be above and outside of the editor window

The text you are seeing is below the image, its strange that you are not seeing the image. Are you using an adblocker?, your page is not rendering all of the components that are being served, I think thats why you are seeing the alignment issue.
    I did have "Ad blocking" set in the browers but set or not set did not make any difference, as you and Dompie indicated no problems, it had to be something specific with my set-up.
    After a long search slowly and carefully going through the Browser/Windows App/Windows Defender/Security software settings to see if I had missed anything previously I eventually found the "Anti-Banner" setting in Kaspersky was also enabled, now I have allowed Banners for this site it is operating as you described.
    I was expecting a blocked add to either appear as a blank space with the text below or just the text on its own. It would seem that Kaspersky is doing the former but that whatever changes it was making to the html to hide the banner is causing the browsers to place the edit/preview windows over the top of the hidden banner it rather than below it.

It would have helped with my search if contestant terminology was used and they were referred to as either Ads or Banners as it is easy to forget they are synonymous and get fixated on looking for one, in this case "Ad" and not the other.
    Last edited by Stephen Moss; 3rd January 2019 at 11:41.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

OK, great that you identified and fixed the issue. Yes, if the blocker, simply tries to identify the unwanted code and removes it, it is higly likely to ause an issue. The better solution would be to replace the unwanted code with some kind of filler. But as you know, its very very difficult to create a parser that correctly identifies all variations of a theme

It seems that in this case the blocker was correctly identifying the Google advert - because its a knoen entity - but it was confused because i dont simply use the google ad code, i wrap it in a container and add my own text and tracking code. Which is therefore non standard and more difficult for the blocker to remove.

hope that makes sense.

The issue you identified is probably affecting others, I'm looking into it and I will implement some changes to help users clearly identify what is happening.

thanks for your work to identify the issue.
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

I am now displaying a message under the first post in any thread, to browsers running ad-blocking.
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 12
    Total Downloaded
    5.03 GB

0 Not allowed!

Yes Lester that works loud and clear!

Johan
    By the way I have whitelisted protonbasic.co.uk in AdBlock Plus now

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

By the way I have whitelisted protonbasic.co.uk in AdBlock Plus now
    Now you just need to click on those google ads to help support the forum costs :-)
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 34
    Total Downloaded
    4.53 GB

0 Not allowed!

Lester, I'm getting not so tasteful ads. In the banner "Hot chats", Find ladies, Dating site.
    Reading a post in the Lounge I copped a dating site with an image.
    Not my style and I certainly don't access this sort of thing.
    Any chance of finding the problem?
    At my age I'm past that and my wife would smile at the thought
    Cheers
    John

• Attention

Thread Information