Thread: Mysterious PORTB problem33 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 29
    Total Downloaded
    2.69 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Mysterious PORTB problem

Have you tried increasing the LCD delays?
    John

Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    603.66 MB

0 Not allowed!

I'm sorry. My circuit is using an 18F46k22. The 18F26k22 doesn't have a PORTE. I apologize for any confusion. I use the 18F26k22 in 4 or 5 other devices, so, its on my brain.
    Although it does not have a Port E as such RE.3 / MCLR is is implemented on pin 1 of the 25K22 and follows the same rules as the bigger device.

You mentioned that the code seems more stable after working with ANSEL reminded me of a problem I experienced with mixed analog and digital. I fixed it by putting All_Digital = True at the start of my code and manipulating ANSEL when analog was needed.

I'm with John on increasing the LCD delays.

If the leads to the button is less than 200mm you should not need the capacitors. As you already know the capacitors will take time to charge back up after a button press and could cause errors but that should not cause lockup
    Last edited by See_Mos; 18th October 2018 at 09:56.
    My RAM is failing

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    603.66 MB

0 Not allowed!

Just thought of something else, have you got 100nF ceramic capacitors pins 11 to 12 and 31 to 32 and as close to the PIC as possible?

Depending on track layout you might get away with either but they are so cheap I use both.
    My RAM is failing

Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 6
    Total Downloaded
    355.40 MB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by See_Mos View Post
    Just thought of something else, have you got 100nF ceramic capacitors pins 11 to 12 and 31 to 32 .
    On the 18F46k22 pin 12 is NC, pin 31 is the CS pin for SPI and 32 is a logic pin. Pin 11 has a 1uF cap on it. I assume you mean me to use bypass caps on all of the power pins of the chip. Yes, I always put the caps as close as possible to the device.

...MCLR is is implemented on pin 1 of the 25K22 and follows the same rules as the bigger device.
    Yes. I saw this, thanks for pointing it out. I think the 18F2xK22 also has a TRISE.x for setting the weak pull up on that pin

You mentioned that the code seems more stable after working with ANSEL reminded me of a problem I experienced with mixed analog and digital. I fixed it by putting All_Digital = True at the start of my code and manipulating ANSEL when analog was needed.
    I don't ever use All_Digital = TRUE. I got in the habit early one to use the registers directly to set everything. It makes it harder to set up a program, but easier to go through and check the exact state of everything. Its not being snobby, its just the way I like to do it, even if it creates problems like the stupid mistakes I make. At least, I'm making them, and not a command / macro I not sure what it does and doesn't do.

I'm with John on increasing the LCD delays.
    I did decrease them as much as possible, however, it takes so long to print the OLED, I can't really delay it any more without getting flicker. What I do is actually divide up the work of printing the whole screen into individual elements. Each element gets printed every 12.5mS. So it might take @ 50mS to update the entire screen, but when it does print to the OLED, it's only away from the state machine loop ((Main: ... : goto Main) for 1-5mS - which is bad, but the best I can do without writing all new code. When printing a new screen, I print everything at once, so it might take up to 60mS its out of the state machine loop (Main: ... : goto Main) - which is too long, but this also limits the button press / PORTB read.

If the leads to the button is less than 200mm you should not need the capacitors.
    The switch leads are less than 100mm. But I always use caps on switches as my boards are always used around lots of radio noise, and no one like the lights to flicker when the push the Talk-to-send button.

That said, in response to adding the caps to the switches, the failure became the OLED screen going black. Les suggested a pull down resistor on RB.5, which has been more or less a floating input. So, I got an unmodified board, pulled RB5 to GND, and I got a pretty dramatic improvement. While it still freezes, it takes a lot longer to freeze. According to Les RB.5 is or can be used in place of MCLR (PGM) although I can't find this anywhere in the data sheet or programming guide. However in App Note DS41398A Flash Memory Programming Specification: it says this

The sequence that enters the device into the Program/
    Verify mode places all unused I/Os in the high-impedance
    state

While it seems unlikely, if LVP=Off, that the chip could enter LVP mode, but stranger things have happened.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    603.66 MB

0 Not allowed!

I should have said that the pin numbers I suggested are for the DIP version so the capacitors are across VDD and VSS
    My RAM is failing

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    355.40 MB

0 Not allowed!

I now this the problem is that, somehow the values in RAM are switched somehow, something suddenly puts them out of order

PortBstate = PORTB 'PUT action store value to RAM address PortBstate

SwState = PortBstate & %00011110 ' ( CALL action recalling PortBstate from a different RAM location)

Something is happening so that the PUT and CALL address values are different. Something along the lines of the ISR restoring a value to the wrong address..

This has something to do with

a.) the small RAM stack I have is overflowing
    b.) Context Save / Restore
    c.) an ISR interrupting a RETURN
    d.) the Gosub / Return stack is overflowing

I think this because in the original crash listing in which I printed the values of SwState and PortBstate, and at the crash, I was suddenly getting a frozen value for SwState (ie SwState wasn't changing as I pressed the buttons). I jumped to the conclusion that it was PORTB that was wrong. PORTB was right but SwState or the mechanism that moves the PORTB value to SwState is out of order, and recalling and usind the wrong RAM location.

I don't know how this can happen, but its the only thing that makes sense. I'm going through all of my gosubs that POP and PUSH values to the small STACK I have (20).

Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 158
    Total Downloaded
    3.20 GB

0 Not allowed!

Don't GOSub variables use an internal stack, that you can make any size?
    George

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    355.40 MB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by towlerg View Post
    Don't GOSub variables use an internal stack, that you can make any size?
    Maybe the compiler has changed. I always add a

Declare Stack_Size 20

at the top of my program because I thought it created 20 bytes of RAM for passing variables back and forth for doing stuff like

Gosub XXXX [MyByteVar1, MyByteVar2], MyByteVar3

XXXX:
    Dim ByteVar1 as Byte
    Dim ByteVar2 as Byte
    Dim ByteVar3 as Byte

Pop ByteVar2
    Pop ByteVar1

ByteVar3 = ByteVar1 + ByteVar2

Return ByteVar3

Obviously, you'd never waste this much code space for a simple addition, but the mechanism is the same.

Is this wrong?

Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 158
    Total Downloaded
    3.20 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thats my point, if the stack is too small, make it bigger.
    George

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    355.40 MB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by towlerg View Post
    Thats my point, if the stack is too small, make it bigger.
    Thanks. It didn't make a different, besides if the RAM stack was filling up by bad code, a bigger stack would just take longer to fill up. It would just take longer to crash. I put LED traps in every endless loop, ie WHILE : WEND. DO : UNTIL, interrupts, etc. Indicator LED is RGB, all colors OFF outside endless loop, different colors ON inside each endless loop, so that when frozen, LED would be solid color inside the frozen endless loop. When I finally experience the freeze, all colors off, and interrupt routines are flashing, but at a much slower rate, like the PLL is off, or there's a long delay somewhere, maybe not frozen delayed enough to cause the interrupts to happen about 50x slower than normal. I tested the switch state to see if the program was running, just very, very slowing, that the switch values would function, they didn't unless the OSC was running at 32kHz and would take 15 min for the button switch condition to get reacted to.

Bottom line, its still freezing, and its not because its stuck in an endless loop. Since each freeze seems to manifest itself with slightly different attributes, I suspect there are either multiple reasons for the freeze, or that the freeze is actually something akin to the MCU just becoming completely confused, and how this confusion manifests itself, like Quantum Physics, is also effected by what I've tried to do to observe it.

I tried to capture the bug running the program in ISIS with a simulated fast button press routine. It took 12 hours to get to 6:42 in real time(real world freeze usually happens @4:30), and all registers, memory etc, look perfectly normal. RAM doesn't seem to be filling with extraneous data, the GOSUB stack is 10 of 31. All this tells me is that either the automated button press pattern I wrote(in HDL) was either wrong(it looked identical on the oscilloscope except for switch bounces) or the ISIS simulator doesn't mimic the 18F46K22 EXACTLY.

Still trying to figure it out. I'm re-writing the HDL to add random switch bounce and run another 12hr sim while I'm re-writing the interrupt routines.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Lee

Thread Information