Thread: 1602 LCD problem437 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 34
    Total Downloaded
    4.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default 1602 LCD problem

I have a working project using a LCD. However it is in draft form and now I want to put it in a box. I have smaller 1602 Lcd that would be ideal. But they don't work. They are supposedly HD44780 compatible. All the dots are faintly alight.
    Has anyone used these el cheapo displays successfully with Proton?
    I have connections correct, the pins are labelled.
    John

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 181
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: 1602 LCD problem

John, do they look like the ones called ERM1602SBS-2.1 on this page

Even if they are I've never used one so I cant help but maybe it'll jog somebodies memory.
    George.

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 39
    Total Downloaded
    3.36 GB

0 Not allowed!

I've used some very cheap ones recommended by Les with success.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 25
    Total Downloaded
    4.40 GB

0 Not allowed!

I always use the cheapest that I can find on EBay, never had a problem. I wonder if you have a faulty display. I assume that altering the contrast pot has no effect.

Bob

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    4.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the replies. Yes George, they are the same kind.
    I have two of these displays and supposedly new. That's why I'm puzzled as both perform in the same way. As well as labels on the boards they came with a data sheet with pin numbers agreeing with the labels and the standard.
    Interestingly the contrast pot doesn't seem to have any effect.
    I'm not using the backlight (low power requirements). Maybe I should as a test. Could it be that simple?
    John

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    4.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Problem solved. It turns out the LCDs I have are 3.3V versions. I turned the volts down on my lab supply and lo and behold the display showed what it should. It's a wonder I hadn't damaged it. The datasheet that came with the two displays showed they were 5V units.
    I do remember buying 3V3 versions years back but I was thrown by the documentation on this batch which clearly stated 5V.
    Moral to the story- (a) don't get old and forget what you bought and in which storage bin they are stored and (b) ignore the documentation something I'm usually rather good at!
    I have now put a slip of paper with 3V3 in large letters in the package and ordered some new 5V units from eBay.
    Sorry to waste your time.
    Cheers
    John

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    1.38 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hello
    Its was not a waste of time, just a reminder that we are getting old, the 3 Volt tiny footprint package stuff is going to drive us older fellows nuts as we solder bridge and burn up parts we thought were 5 Volt.
    I have tried in the last year to be better at marking parts with Number and voltage.
    As the eyes go bad I think I will have to buy a large stock of 5 Volt Dip parts so I can at least keep going.
    Best to you
    Gary

• Attention

Thread Information